Correct Rack Pull Height?

whats the correct height for a rack pull?

a few inches below your knee right?

There isn’t a correct height. People typically use different heights to work on different weaknesses. For most people a rack pull from below the knee will be more difficult than a regular deadlift and a rack pull above the knee will allow for much greater weights to be used.

I rack pull from just above my knee. First reason is the rack I use doesn’t go any lower, and also because I use it to train my back. I’ve tried below my knees before at a different gym and my glutes were firing alot more than I wanted.

It depends on what you’re using it for. Like Sharp, I pull from above my knees to hit my back.

I agree that I don’t think there’s a “correct” height. It’s entirely individual.
I’ve tried going at the knee, and even 1 inch above and with my frame, it doesn’t feel good at all.

Lately i’ve been doing them from 1.5-2 inches above the knee (high, I know) and this is the first time they have felt ok for me.

I don’t really care if it’s higher than other peoples’. All that I want is to add 200lb to it for the same reps and my back should grow.

The correct height is the height that allows you to hit the targeted muscles most effectively.

I use just above the knee…mainly becuase of the settings of the pins in the rack…one up is too high and one below is too low to feel my upper back in it as that hits my lower back more.

230kg Rack Pull x 5

All the boys are right, above the knees for sure.

Also depends on wing span.

I personally like just a tad below my kneecap, but I think my arms are pretty long so thats probably why it feels good for me at that level. I have noticed that if you are doing rack pulls from too much below the knees its a shitty mechanical position to start in and at heavier weights you end up using to much low back.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
There isn’t a correct height. People typically use different heights to work on different weaknesses. For most people a rack pull from below the knee will be more difficult than a regular deadlift and a rack pull above the knee will allow for much greater weights to be used.[/quote]

This.

It is all very well people saying what they prefer… but to say above the knee (or whatever) is the ‘correct’ position, is not really accurate.

If you are wanting to train your sticking point, you will likely want to go below the knee.
If you want to train the lockout or the top end of the ROM, then above.
You could also start well above the knee with a greater weight than you can lift in full ROM deads and then drop an inch (or hole) each week.

JJ

I tried lockouts (just the last 2 inches) for the first time the other day and it absolutely murdered my upper traps and rhomboids.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The correct height is the height that allows you to hit the targeted muscles most effectively. [/quote]

THIS Bonez wins…cookie if you want it

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The correct height is the height that allows you to hit the targeted muscles most effectively. [/quote]

THIS Bonez wins…cookie if you want it

I prefer brownies. ::gets off couch to get a brownie:: I need a butler…

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
I rack pull from just above my knee. First reason is the rack I use doesn’t go any lower, and also because I use it to train my back. I’ve tried below my knees before at a different gym and my glutes were firing alot more than I wanted.[/quote]

Have you tried standing on a step aerobics step? If you ever wanted to set the pin lower, that is. I’m not sure how much weight they are designed to take, but I would assume a lot.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
I rack pull from just above my knee. First reason is the rack I use doesn’t go any lower, and also because I use it to train my back. I’ve tried below my knees before at a different gym and my glutes were firing alot more than I wanted.

Have you tried standing on a step aerobics step? If you ever wanted to set the pin lower, that is. I’m not sure how much weight they are designed to take, but I would assume a lot.[/quote]

Dude at my gym that wears Zuba (sp?) pants and a fanny pack, yes he is a giant motherfucker, told me, when I asked him, that he has had 8pps up on the steps before. I only saw 405 not destroy the steps though.

I believe Meat also has videos of this up, not sure how heavy Meat’s were…

[quote]SWR wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:

Have you tried standing on a step aerobics step? If you ever wanted to set the pin lower, that is. I’m not sure how much weight they are designed to take, but I would assume a lot.[/quote]

I actually haven’t tried this. I’m pretty sure I can get one to fit in the rack. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow.

if aerobic steps can’t fit in the rack, try standing on plates.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Dude at my gym that wears Zuba (sp?) pants and a fanny pack, yes he is a giant motherfucker, told me, when I asked him, that he has had 8pps up on the steps before. I only saw 405 not destroy the steps though.

I believe Meat also has videos of this up, not sure how heavy Meat’s were…[/quote]

I’m not 100% sure but I think Meat had 585lbs on the steps