New Years Resolution (Get Ripped)

Happy New Year everybody, i’ve got my fat loss plan ready as my new years resolution to once and for all get ripped. I’d appreciate all your feedback. My current stats are 6’3", 220lbs approx 12% bodyfat, and my goal is below 6%. I’ve decided to hold off on the steroid route which is now readily available, and stay natural, at least a while longer. My diet is influenced by recent research on protein efficiency dramatically increasing with most calories consumed post-workout, as well as the a diet followed by most predator animals, which hunt (sprinting which is anaerobic) and consume huge amounts of protein after a successful hunt. The plan is as follows:
lifting Mon (Chest and Bi’s) Wed (Legs) Fri (Back and Tris) Superset agonist/antagonist muscles with 60-90 sec rest, heavy weight, 6-8 reps. (GBC/Meltdown does not work well for me, too much volume and I can’t lift any signifacant amt of weight with it, although i’m having great success with it for my female clients.) Sprint/JumpRope interval training on Tues and Thurs.
Protein consumer only after a workout, general plan is 3lbs. lean steak, chicken, etc. with 15 fish oil capsules. Followed by 1-2lbs green vegetables. Supplements will include MD6, T2, 27g glutamine consumed during weightlifting routine, and 20 Nitromine after. I have more reasoning behind my concept but this makes sense to me and worked when I experimented a few weeks back before the holidays, in which hunting (anaerobic) would be followed by eating. Generally, all other animals who consume animal protein eat large meals infrequently, although ocassionally they will eat over a period of time under the right conditions. They have a lot of muscle and are lean. Animals that graze, which is whats usually recommended to us, don’t eat animal foods rather they eat vegetables/leaves, etc. So I believe we’re the only animals that graze on animal proteins, and I don’t think it’s necessary for all of us, so this is what I’m experimenting with.

Wow that’s an interesting diet! It makes “sense” though. I wish you look in gettting shredded(I’m doing that too right now although I’m using t-dawg diet) and keep us informed on how this diet works for you.

That’s an incredible concept (the eating). Do you plan on eating any other meals during the day or just the post workout meal? Also, what about on days when you don’t lift…do you eat once or frequently. The workout sounds good. I’ve been experimenting with something very similar to that of late and have had good results.

I’m really not hungy during the day, and since I started MD6 (incredible fat burner) my apetite is really curbed. If hungry I might have some greens, but thats about it. If one can handle higher fat foods I’d say eat some nuts as well, but high fat meals, even in the absence of carbs, just make me bloated and fat. Again, nothing is written in stone here, but Its something I believe in and will try to prove works, i’ll be doing before/after pics to show how well it does (which I hope it will)
also, predators will ocassionally eat frequently, with a large kill and no animals to share with/steal the food. Wolves will even bury a kill after eating some to come back to later. So eating frequently ocassionally might be a good idea to mix things up and not allow total adaption. Since i’m working out 5x week I will follow this plan, I also plan on fasting one day during the weekend then maybe a small carb load to speed my metabolism, increase thyroid, glycogen for lifting, etc. I believe in the benefits of fasting for health, and I believe it was the Romanians, or Bulgarias, who would not eat protein one day then eat a large amount another to increase protein efficiency, supposedly this would help them gain muscular weight, i’m still looking into research on this but I have plenty on other aspects of the diet. I’m a nutrition freak and spend most time reading and researching on it as well as training, and along with my love watching Animals Planet and Discover Channel, this hit me a while back and i’ve been gathering as much info as possible to make a plan like this work. The training, supplements, and even nutrition aspect come from info from Dr. Serrano and Poliquin. Especially Glutamine during training, Nitromine post-workout, and Interval Sprints as they say low intensity cardio is overrated for fat loss, and low carbs with low intensity cardio burn intramuscular fat but not subcontaneous fat, the kind that u actually see on the body. Thanx for the positive feedback.

This sounds a little like the Warrior Diet. Perhaps you should read Chris Shugart’s review of it here: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

There are many more proven methods out there.

Yes, I’ve also seen the interviews on the warrior diet. His ideas come from the Romans and Greeks on how he believed they ate. I looked into that as well and from what I read on my own as well as what others learned the Romans had a horrible diet that was mainly wheat, grains, etc. I also don’t rely on statues and paintings of people which we don’t even know how frequently they ate. Also, I understand that the Romans would binge, throw up their foods and do it over again. I don’t think following a bulimics eating pattern is ideal for health. I also won’t bullshit people saying u can eat protein then a pizza and ice cream later and expect to get ripped, as this type of food was NEVER meant for us to be eaten, and only the few genetically blessed can be lean eating this consistantly.

I agree with many aspects of your diet. Keep us posted on your results. Although it makes a lot of sense to eat rather frequently for muscle gain I think frequency of eating is especially over-rated for fat loss due to insulin and it’s effect on fat loss and it wouldn’t surprise me if 5 years from now that the current bodybuilding fat loss diets will advocate less frequent eating…like 2 or 3 larger meals per day.

Hmmm… This is a very interesting concept. When I first read it, the idea of less frequent meals made a lot of sense.

However - What do you think of some of the research (on boxers I think) that showed that the same number of calories consumed over more meals kept the subjects leaner?

Also, in one of TC’s articles on diet, he mentions that Sumo Wrestlers only eat one meal per day (Chanko) specifically to get big and fat.

Both of these points seem to be contradictory but I can’t help feeling from experience that less frequent meals might be a good idea. Perhaps only when used in a cycle of frequent/less frequent meals as someone else suggested.

Has anyone else tried the less frequent meal strategy and had success for fatloss?

Bro, you bring up some excellent points about meal frequency and lean mass. So much so, that I may incorporate this diet into my lifestyle when I’m done w/ Meltdown and head into Strength Trianing. I’m extrodinarily happy with my current size and cuts, and shall go back onto maintenience-level calories and overall protein intake. Lata.

"MB Eric: Your local lunatic since 1321."

-Eric

Seeker, I’m aware of the study on Boxers that showed that more frequent feedings resulted in less muscle loss than less frequent, but there are a few factors I have to check back on. I believe their diets were extremely low calorie, around 1200 per day. I don’t remember there being any information as to the macronutrient ratio of the two groups and I also think the duration wasn’t that long. Consider if the group eating less frequent ate low protein, high carbs, along with the low calories there will certainly be muscle loss. And maybe the group eating more frequent meals got most calories from protein and efa’s, which would preserve muscle (think fat fast) even at low calories. I can be wrong, but I don’t know if macro’s were addressed, both groups would need to consume exactly the same macronutrients in one or several meals, then do a comparison, such as the one I talked about which showed an increase in protein synthesis by a larger protein meal than several smaller ones. The figures were that when 80% of protein was consumed in one meal as opposed to several, protein synthesis increased 19% opposed to I believe 2% in the frequent fed group. Also noted in the article that with Amino Acid infusion(injecting aminos into the blood) protein synthesis halts around the 2 hour mark, so any added amino’s will not be used by the muscles. The only way to increase sensitivity is to do a protein fast, or by intense muscle contractions (anaerobic training) to resensitize the muscles.
Monkeyboy, I’m glad you seem interested in this approach, and if you try it please let me know how it goes.
I’m an advocate of paleo style eating, but also believe in using the latest research and supplements to help out. I try to eat as close to paleo as possible but there’s always room for variation, for example I eat green beans which are shunned in Neanderthin, but its the only green that doesn’t make me bloated. Interesting broccoli allergies aren’t that uncommon, and they also contain a component that is believed to slow the thyroid. I get the same problem with spinach, and Kale is just disguting to me. Obviously, the supplements aren’t a purist approach, but I want to use any natural (legal)methods possible to help me out since I have so much trouble getting lean. I think 2 other biotest supplements that would kick ass are Surge and Mag-10. I definitely plan on trying the Mag-10 soon and see how it helps me out, since I know my T-Levels are on the Low Side.

Pete, Kelley, or anyone…other than articles on t-mag about the Warrior Diet, can you point me to some websites or books where I can read some more about Paleo style eating…I would be especially interested in what Serrano and Poliquin had to say…thanks.

Pete69, your theory is very, very interesting and I can’t wait to hear your results. The only problem I have with it is from research I’ve read that states when you don’t eat for long periods of time your body thinks it is in a famine stat, thus it will store most of the food you eat. You have to understand that animals such as lion, cheetahs, etc. have been eating like that since the dawn of time so there genetics are set for them to metabolize food like that. Humans on the other hand do not have genetics like that. I’m not trying to shoot down your theory, in fact it is a very educated theory, this was my only concearn regarding that. What do you think.

Also you seem to have a pretty good nak for research things escpecially scientific reports, where do you go for such research? Is there a data base online? Thanks

SBET, here are a few resources off the top of my head, my computer is down now where I have many links bookmarked, but here are a few. www.paleofoods.com, interview with Dr Loren Cordain:
Dr. Mercola's Censored Library (Private Membership) | Dr. Joseph Mercola | Substack Diet/carbohydrates/paleolithic_diet.htm
interview with Dr. Ron Rosedale,
www.dfhi.com/interviews/rosedale.html
beyondveg.com, the Neanderthin book, Protein Power book, Medline had some studies on meal frequency,
“Evidence is emerging also that our “grazing” pattern of eating could partly explain why syndrome X is on the increase. Zammit believes that eating too frequently could be one of the triggers that turns your liver into a relentless fat-secreting machine.”, a quote from an article here Dr. Mercola's Censored Library (Private Membership) | Dr. Joseph Mercola | Substack
another great book, “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration”, also check out the Weston Price Foundation Site and Price Pottenger Foundation sites. Info from Poliquin can be found at his own web site and Dr. Serrano’s from Beverly Internationals site, Infinity Fitness and mostly from the Gen-Mag site. There’s plenty more but here are a few to look at.
Jordan, you bring up some good points, and I can’t completely dispute them based on common research, there just isn’t much in terms of meal frequency. From my own experience, as well as my parents (who I put on this diet, and over the past 3 months both lost approx 40lbs. w/out working out) and a few clients, it works well. The suggestion of eating 6 meals a day became popular when Met-Rx mrp’s came around, it makes sense since in order to really fit in this many meals, mrp’s become necessary for anyone with a busy lifestyle. I’ve heard this arguement many times and it does make sense. I don’t believe that the body senses famine over such a short period of time, if this were true I doubt humans would ever have made it as far as we have. There had to be times during our 150,000, which is how old our current genes are, that we went through periods of famine. On an optimal diet where our bodies are efficient at burning fat, why would our bodies preferrably burn muscle for fuel. We are capable to store an unlimited amount of fat, so why would we keep it in storage w/out a way of tapping into the supply. So the arguement we need constant protein to stop our muscle from wasting may not hold as much merit. And if our bodies recieve a large meal on a consistant basis, wouldn’t it sense that food will be coming eventually, so not to worry and slow down metabolism. BTW, Another resource is an article by Lyle McDonald talking about meal frequency, comparing 2 vs. 4 meals a day and fat loss. Given the same cals and macro’s, both groups lost the same amount of weight, and same amount of fat. The diff. is 4 meals raises metabolism less but more often, larger meals gives a higher raise less frequently. Interestingly those who eat later at night lose less weight, but both lose the same amount of fat, so stopping food before 6 causes more muscle loss, and eating later will allow the same amount of fat loss, but less muscle lost. Hope this helps.

If you do a search in google of paleolithic diet you will find a few sites, i recomend www.beyoundveg.com.

i have another thought that could be a con for this diet. when you have these animals such wolves and big cats who eat infrequently and are extremely lean, they are not, for the most part, extremely muscular. sure they are ripped and hard, but i think this diet may 'cause you to lose quite a bit of muscle mass in addition to the fat. we’ll see how it works out though. good luck!

jasonp, thanx for the support. I understand your belief that it could cause quite a bit of muscle loss, but that is the general belief in regard to meal frequency. The thing is most people believe that is the case and arent willing to try it. I’m not saying your wrong, and i’m sure for some it will cause quite a bit of muscle loss, (just like a CKD, it won’t work for everyone) but for me it has not been a problem. Interms of predator animals being lean but not very muscular, I have to disagree with you. 1st, being overly large and muscular isn’t advantageous in nature for some animals, if speed were to be compromised, for survival reasons. Some animals, such as wolves, aren’t genetically designed to be overly muscular, so that is a factor. But take a lion for example, they reach up to 450 lbs., not only do they have no fat, but they have huge, muscular bodies, it’s really amazing. Another example is bears in nature, I dont have exact figures but in nature they are actually very active, huge, muscular animals. One of the main reasons they become fat in zoos is b/c their being caged, and the buscuits that they are fed made from cornmeal (according to Dr. Colker) Again, i’m not saying this is the end all diet, but I will experiment with it and refine it, and hopefully it will help me reach my physique goals and I can help others as well.
Article Index haycock/protein-pulse-feeding.htm thats one of the articles based on 1 large feeding increasing protein synthesis.

Pete - When in top shape I am close to your size 6’3 230lbs at 32 years of age. Back in my college football days I experimented with a very similare diet. I would eat at least 95% of my calories in one meal in the morning (breakfast) I would eat two other meals (noon, 6PM) that were mostly greens. I am not near as scentific as you seem to be (I admire that). well, after two short months, I went from my then palying weight of 265lbs to 225lbs. I got cut up more than ever, my bench press and power clean actually went up and I felt euphoric! I was on zero supplements back then (I think weider was about it then!) Anyway, I think your reasoning and sceintific deductions are accurate and I applaud you on your endeavour. A similar diet worked for me and I was not near as studied on supplementation as I am currently. One question for you: You mention taking in @26 grams of glutamine… Do you sip the whole 26grams throughout your workout? Do you take on empty stomach in one whole dosage? Or do you take 5 grams on an empty stomach five times a day?

James, AWESOME STORY. I’m so glad to hear that a plan like this worked out for you. What would you say your starting/ending bodyfat %'s became??? I’d love to hear more details on what u ate, etc. Also, where did you play football at. I played football at Lafayette College for 2 years before I injured my shoulder badly.
I take take half the glutamine 20-30 minutes before lifting workouts and I sip the rest during my workout, if I had the money I’d use Glutacene but this is the best I can do now. I know that Poliquin and Serrano say this approach or half before/half after works equally well, but I enjoy drinking it during and I definitely feel a difference in my strength as well as muscle fullness, despite my low carb intake.

Pete - thanks for the glutamine recs - I posted a question about that very topic in this forum yesterday. I do not measure BF% - never have but need to start. I played OL @ 275 in South Carolina. After playing I got down to 215 too quick and looked way to skinny for my frame - I gradually climbed back up to a hard 230lbs and stayed between 220 and 230 for years… The past four or five months I balooned up to 260 lbs!!! Due to back injury, marriage, honeymoon, holidays, hectic work schedule, etc… let myself go! I am back in the gym and going at it hard. I am trying a modified fat/fast diet adding a zero carb meal at night and taking MD6. As for the days when I actually did your diet - I went to the cafeteria and ate like a champ! I would have 2 or three plates of anything and everything - eggs, bacon, meat, hashbrowns, grits (southern thing!), toast - proabably 4 - 5000 calories… Again, I was not as focused and learned as I am now. I ate close to nothing for lunch and dinner (usually just salads)… I also did some interval training/plyometrics - jumped rope fast and furiously breaking it up with abs… that is about it. Thanks for replying to my questions about Glutamine - i am going to look for some good powder (I have some from Life Extension network) but need to investigate the best forms to take… I wish you luck and please keep me posted!

I failed to mention a question regarding the Sumo Wrestlers Diet. I understand they usually eat one large meal in the evening. The reason I believe it makes them fatter is first, there is a large amount of white rice, high glycemic carbohydrates to spike insulin, making the food eaten more easily go into storage. Also, I doubt they work out then eat their meal. Eating after a workout is known to allow the food to be utilized by the muscles more efficiently, making food less likely to be stored as fat. Thats why a drink like surge taken during a relaxing evening before bed can make you fat, but taken at the same time after a strenuous workout can still allow for fat loss, b/c the muscles are primed for these nutrients.