Irish T-Nation

[quote]StephenD wrote:
Im living in Ballyclare, Co.Antrim

Not a decent gym that i know off in the area :frowning:

Steve[/quote]

Steve, You’ve given me an idea here. Can everyone give a short paragraph about where they train and a couple of links for further information.

I train in Centaur Health Studios in the very center of Belfast (Corn Market near the new Victoria Square). It’s a men only gym with NO treadmills. Quite hardcore in the type of trainers - BB, Powerlifters and boxers for the most part. It’s definitely the friendliest gym I’ve ever trained in and it’s great for newbies. Lot’s of free advice for anything strength related. Only a couple of machines, a lot of barbells and dumbells that go up to about 150lb - the 150lb ones are just blocks of metal welded to a db handle. Couple of punch bags. It costs £20 a month and you don’t have to join. If you don’t want to train that often you can pay £2.75 for each session.

There is a seperate powerlifting club that just use the name

And Paul McIlroy, the only personal trainer, set the club up. He’s the one that is currently away training with Matt Hughes (UFC) for a month in the US. You can see the gym and some of Paul’s skill in this

Currently training in two council gyms in Armagh. I work for the council during the summer so i get them free. I go to Strathclyde Uni, Glasgow i train in their basement.

Council Gym 1
Ardmore Recreation Centre
http://www.armagh.gov.uk/sub_resservices_details.php?resident_id=5&show_sub=2&subresident_id=4

Smith Machine (200kg in plates)
Dumbells up to 35kg
Adjustable Cable Pulley Machine
6 Rowing machines
A ridiculous amount of treadmills and bikes

Hate training here, get told im doing everything wrong: squating too low, throwing weights above my head etc etc. zero motivation, today they were playing a gareth brooks live album and i had forgotten my earphones. :frowning: Customers in it are either Cardiac Patients who have been referred, or fat house wives walking while watching soaps. £25 a month or £3.70 a session + £10 Induction fee.

Council Gym 2
Keady Rec Centre
http://www.armagh.gov.uk/sub_resservices_details.php?subresident_id=3&resident_id=5&show_sub=2

Smith Machine (180kg in weights)
Dumbells up to 25kg
3 rowing machines (not fixed to the floor)
4 bikes
4 treadmills
some weights machines

Training in here is not as bad as Ardmore as the customers are all mainly gaelic players or into some sort of sport, so there is some sort of motivation etc. But the all mainly do a repeated cycle of Bench, Curls and Abs. They also mostly train in packs of at least 5. Which leaves no room for anyone else. Also ive pretty much outgrown the gym as i need more weight in nearly all the lifts.
£17 a month or £3.30 a session + £10 induction fee

Strathclyde University Gym

3 powerracks
1 er bench
roughly 600kg in plates
An olympic platform
5 olympic bars
1 fat bar
trap bar
2 Ez curl bars
tricep bar
Dumbells up to 50kg
Back Hyper Extension
A long corrider with steps at the end for doing farmers walks

A Multi gym with:
chin up bar
dup bar
hanging leg raises
High cable
low Cable
Leg Press
Adjustable sit up bench

Ive never been to the CV suit above but it is new and seems to have everything you could ever need.

70% of the people training in the weights room are pretty serious and know what there doing.

We have a few successful strongmen, group of older and younger powerlifters, couple of people who represent scotland in olympic lifting and many rugby players.

The only downside to the gym is it has no music. apparently this is because they need a licence but we think thats bollacks and are going to offer to buy a hifi.

This year there is a new powerlifting and strength club being set up. one night a week will be for form, questions and for people to be judged and spotted on PB attempts. every other night there will be a few of the members in training if some newbies need a hand or just want motivation for training. there will also be competitions of different types throughout the year and im sure nights out.
£70 for the year or £2.00 a session

so as you can see, i obviously cant wait to get back to uni to train somewhere decent.

Andy Cairny setting the gym record with a 300kg squat

sorry that wasnt very short. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
sorry that wasnt very short. :P[/quote]

Well now that you mention it ;o)

Wouldn’t like to have to read any of your coursework. Probably ends up like “War and Peace”

Anyone going to the NCTC conference on coaching this coming weekend in Dublin? I don’t know how great it will be, but I think there will be a decent presentation by Liam Hennessy and Colin Murphy regarding strength training for athletic preparation. Just wondering if anyone even knew about this event…

[quote]Intersweat wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
sorry that wasnt very short. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well now that you mention it ;o)

Wouldn’t like to have to read any of your coursework. Probably ends up like “War and Peace”

[/quote]

their all shorter than that… combined.

i dunno, i get into “the flow” when writing about shit i like.

i once wrote 11 pages of a book review in 3rd year when we were meant to write 1.5 pages. didnt even realise how much id written untill the end. lol

Scott

Got my ticket for Mr.Ireland, its on in the academy in dublin, doors half 7. Tickets can be got on ticket master.

Im from Shannon, Co.Clare, just after moving back up to dublin after talking a year out from college. Going to ucd So for the last year i have been training in the local gym in shannon.

This isnt the greatest gym, however it has dumbells up 50kg and a cable machine. Thats all i need in there most of the time, on sunday i go 10 mins down the road to another gym where they have an olympic bar so i can squat or deadlift, i switch it up. (there is only a smith machine in the shannon gym)

However now im training in the ucd. I like the gym, it has everything i need. Dumbells, cable and olympic bar.

[quote]Jimmy the Saint wrote:
Anyone going to the NCTC conference on coaching this coming weekend in Dublin? I don’t know how great it will be, but I think there will be a decent presentation by Liam Hennessy and Colin Murphy regarding strength training for athletic preparation. Just wondering if anyone even knew about this event…
[/quote]

Didn’t know about it. Are you going? Arsefluff is booked into do the Poliquin course in November in Dublin. He’ll be going for his level 1 PICP. Think it cost about £600.

suppose this is the best place to ask this…

whats the best way in NI/Ireland to go about acheiving PT qualifications?

whats the best one etc… and how much they cost to do?

websites would be greatly appreciated.

looking to maybe do one next summer or if possible while at uni this year.

I have NaRS Life Guard, child protection and customer care certificates.

8 GCSEs and 3 A Levels and 1 AS Level. just in case there are entry requirements.

Cheers
Scott

I will most likely just go for the day as I have met Colin Murphy thourhg workand he offered me ride up there, haha. Still interested to stick my nsose in their and meet the people who are involved in strength and conditioning over in Ireland.

I was considering the Poliquin seminar in November, but I’ll be flying back to the U.S. to visit some friends that same weekend. Also, I’d rather just buy the PICP 1 manual and get what I can out of that…

Hey Gary finally got that link to work.

I train at the same gym as Gary and his brother Ralph. Also know his other brother Neil and his g/f who is a competitive powerlifter.

Have a youtube account and a bebo which is http://GoudyUrsus.bebo.com

Am also competing in the idfpa bnech championships this weekend in Queen PEC in Belfast, where i am from.

Have competed with the IPO and NIWLA before, first time iwth the idfpa.

[quote]GoudyUrsus wrote:
Hey Gary finally got that link to work.

I train at the same gym as Gary and his brother Ralph. Also know his other brother Neil and his g/f who is a competitive powerlifter.

Have a youtube account and a bebo which is http://GoudyUrsus.bebo.com

Am also competing in the idfpa bnech championships this weekend in Queen PEC in Belfast, where i am from.

Have competed with the IPO and NIWLA before, first time iwth the idfpa.[/quote]

Hi John. Good to have you on board. Can you update your profile with a bit of history, lifts and pics pls?

GoudyUrsus
DickBag
Hanley
thosebananas
arsefluff
NiallC
Irishpowehouse
IrishMarc
BigAndyJ
duffyj2
Paul496
Jimmy the Saint
Intersweat

List has been updated to include John and a few others have now shown interest but yet to post.

As a fiance to an irish girl, i spend quite alot of time there, especially Donegal.

Hoping to pick up some time working with GAA athletes seeing as the missus family are mad into it.

[quote]Wayland wrote:
As a fiance to an irish girl, i spend quite alot of time there, especially Donegal.

Hoping to pick up some time working with GAA athletes seeing as the missus family are mad into it.[/quote]

Wayland, you’re Irish by association ;o) I’m adding you to the list.

Current list

Wayland
GoudyUrsus
DickBag
Hanley
thosebananas
arsefluff
NiallC
Irishpowehouse
IrishMarc
BigAndyJ
duffyj2
Paul496
Jimmy the Saint
Intersweat

8 GCSEs and 3 A Levels and 1 AS Level. just in case there are entry requirements.

Cheers
Scott

[quote]Jimmy the Saint wrote:
Didn’t know about it. Are you going? Arsefluff is booked into do the Poliquin course in November in Dublin. He’ll be going for his level 1 PICP. Think it cost about £600.

I will most likely just go for the day as I have met Colin Murphy thourhg workand he offered me ride up there, haha. Still interested to stick my nsose in their and meet the people who are involved in strength and conditioning over in Ireland.

I was considering the Poliquin seminar in November, but I’ll be flying back to the U.S. to visit some friends that same weekend. Also, I’d rather just buy the PICP 1 manual and get what I can out of that…

[/quote]

I m a level 2 PICP
you ll get programming techniques out of the manual but you will not get everything.
there is alot to learn from the internships.
ALOT

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

Cheers
Scott[/quote]

do the NTCs course, part time and then go get some real certs after.you just want the NTC to get started.
i did the NCEF and its a load of shit.
do the NTC then either ISSA or NSCA personal training certs… after that its up to you to be good

fuck 2 grand for the NTC 18 week part time course.

shit… i didnt think it would be any where near as expensive as that.

[quote]NiallC wrote:
I m a level 2 PICP
you ll get programming techniques out of the manual but you will not get everything.
there is alot to learn from the internships.
ALOT[/quote]

Interesting Niall. I’ve got the manual for the level 1 PICP sitting in front of me and I’m considering it just because Poliquin is the dog’s dibbly bits. Are you considering going further with PICP ??