Deadlift: size vs fatigue

This I agree with.

It is an excellent tool for developing the ability to overcome. I also find it carries over well into lower rep deadlifting: especially when pulled touch and go.

1 Like

I’m looking at my risk / reward I suppose… I did like doing the high rep stuff, but I think it should weighed against the downsides. But thanks for sharing that.

If you’ve ever picked up an atlas stone, flipped a tire or walked a yoke, you totally blew past high rep deadlifts.

Done them all… only for much higher weights / lower reps / distance / duration. I left an Atlas stone at my last house. HA

1 Like

Yeah, heavy yoke is just plain stupid on the risk/reward scale.

1 Like

Does it develop that ability or does it tell how much ability to overcome you have?

Yes. One of my favorite parts is developing PRs for how many reps I can accomplish in one breath. Learning how to keep your brace through that many reps is SO valuable.

Did 405 raw for about 60 feet… felt wrecked afterwards

775 for 29.5 was fine for me: that’s last .5 is where I ruptured my ACL, tore my meniscus and fractured my patella.

Tore my bicep on an axle clean.

Never an issue with high rep deads.

Tore ACL wrestling. That sucks.

2 Likes

I thought you meant the mental aspect.

It’s great for that too. Carries over in a couple of places.

Although I think distance running is probably the best for that. Every single step you take is a decision, because at any point you could just not do it.

Wrasslin’ or judo throwing?

I almost commented that judo was way more dangerous than deadlifts.

1 Like

Does it challenge you or is it super light when you pick it up? If your muscles experience tension when you deadlift it, and you’re using proper form, I’d actually recommend keeping it but aiming for more of an RDL (Romanian deadlift).

If you’re a beginner, your goal is to consistently challenge yourself, place tension on the muscles, avoid injury, get stronger, and learn how to achieve a solid mind-muscle connection. Just my opinion. You can do this without the deadlift as someone said above, but as others have stated, it is a hip hinge that will recruit a ton of musculature from your entire posterior chain.

To be honest, I don’t deadlift all that often these days, but am a fan of the results when keeping it moderately loaded and paying more attention to the mind-muscle connection in the glutes and hams. However, if I didn’t have a gym membership, it would be nonnegotiable. I’d do it all the time.

Regardless, you could make progress on the RDL using the weight you have, and then once that becomes too easy, switch to a B-stance or kickstand RDL. This will shift tension to one side of your posterior chain and make each rep a lot harder with lighter weight. Just make sure to do both sides.

Once that becomes too easy, you could consider single leg RDLs or simply adding bands for extra tension. The cool thing about single leg RDLs is that the stability required to not fall over can leave a lot of strong people pretty fatigued, even when using dumbbells or kettlebells. And judging by all the physique competitors who use them, they seem to work.

2 Likes

But it’s the gentle way!

1 Like

Judo is scary…always risking a knee injury

1 Like

I haven’t met anyone who did Judo into adulthood who didn’t have bad knees.

Hands too … but them throws are beautiful to see

And I don’t know if it’s common, but I know a lot of bjjers who needed hip replacements. It’s weird because some are older than I but others are younger.

1 Like

I’ve been very fortunate… 1 ACL surgery, 1 distal biceps repair…couple MCL tears. Otherwise feel really good considering