What is really important

Yesterday I watched a great movie called “Gorillas In The Mist.” I have been to Africa several times and it made me think about the immense suffering that exists in the world. It is terrible what people will do for money sometimes such as cutting gorillas hands off to make ash trays and heads to make house ornaments. Of course these people would not be doing it if there was not a demand somewhere else. When I was in Kenya, I met a young boy, about ten years old, who had mangled legs and only one arm. It was painful just watching this kid move. However, the kid still had a big smile on his face and was excited about talking to me. This was a very humbling experience that made me realize that all of my problems are luxury problems or inconveniences. What is the purpose of this message? Just wanted to share that.

What will you take with you when you die? Your relationships and your character. That is what is important.

Good story, but what do you think about HIT … LOL. Yes, you are right, it seems that we often lose perspective.

I have a picture of a family I met that lived in the dumps of Guatemala. These people, and all the people that lived there, would be homeless except for they’ve found pieces of thrown away sheet metal and cardboard to make shelters. The kids there spend their day finding things in the dump they can sell. We went there with a government produced fortified cereal of sorts, just to try and combat a little of the malnourishment. Of course, there is no running water there and the flies are as thick as smoke. The families though, were tender, loving people. The ones I talked to (in broken spanish) were normal people who came across hard times, or people who had grown up in the dump. I have never been the same since that trip. Makes my whining about my house payment sound trite.

I like that, Mike, “all my problems are just luxory problems or inconviences.” I really like that.

You’re right on Mike. I am thankful for what I have and for what I’ve accomplished. But some of the most important things to me are my friends, family and who I am. Sometimes I get down about certain things (losing my hair, being short, etc), but then I realize that I have it better than so many other people. I have full use of my body and limbs, have a good job and education, great friends, etc. And I realize how lucky I am.

Right on the money there Nate Dogg!RITE ON DA MONEY!

Geez, and I thought spewing racist vitriol on bodybuilding message boards was the most important thing in life. Go figure. :slight_smile:

Good stuff people. Lof of suffering going on out there and it is important to be aware of what is going on. Otherwise, you go through life in a superficial “matrix” thinking that you are the center of the universe with big problems and that someone owes you something. Glad to see a lot of intelligent and wise t-men and vixens out there. thanks

Yeah, it helps put things in perspective. I have friends that constantly worry about what kind of car they drive, how big the boat or house is, etc. When I was growing up, I got a chance to learn a couple of valuable lessons. First, my dad was a pilot (international routes), so I got a chance to travel and see the way other people lived and what was important to them - in most other countries, family and relationships take a lot of priority over money/material items. Second, my dad passed away when I was 12. He was pretty materialistic, but in the end, it didn’t matter. He was only 41 and had big dreams about when he was going to retire and what he was going to buy. Prob was, he worked his ass off til he died and never had anytime to enjoy the carrot he was chasing. Like I said - I got to learn a couple valuable lessons. Every now and then I find myself caught up in the rat race - I’m not too materialistic, but I do work too much. When I realize that, I slow things down and focus on what’s really important - my wife, my friends, my health, etc. The rest of the stuff just isn’t that important.