UFC 70: Nations Collide

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Seems to be a bit of a learning curve for the Pride folks. His training partner looked like a scared kid for the entire fight against Arlovski. He never did a damn thing the whole fight.

CroCop did not look prepared for the ground and pound - especially the elbows.

I hope these losses will wake up the Pride Fighters to the fact that the UFC is much much tougher than it was a few years ago. [/quote]

I bet Cro Cop will train for the cage now!..that is if he doesn’t retire first.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Seems to be a bit of a learning curve for the Pride folks. His training partner looked like a scared kid for the entire fight against Arlovski. He never did a damn thing the whole fight.

CroCop did not look prepared for the ground and pound - especially the elbows.

I hope these losses will wake up the Pride Fighters to the fact that the UFC is much much tougher than it was a few years ago.

I bet Cro Cop will train for the cage now!..that is if he doesn’t retire first.
[/quote]

With over 100 pro fights,I think Mirko will cash his check soon.

That was unbelievable.

I was actually at the event last night and my jaw was on the floor when Cro Cop got Ko’d. A head kick no less.

Cro cop just didn’t get into the fight, I don’t know what was up. When Gonzaga was landing elbows on the ground i was thinking, i’m glad he’s gonna make a fight of it. Then when it became apparent Cro Cop was clueless in defending the elbows i got slightly concerned. But when it got stood up, which im not even sure it should have, i though Cro Cop would wake up and land something. But no!

Half the people around me where just in stunned silence when he hit the deck. Then followed kind of half hearted clapping. Nobody could believe it.

The fights before then PPV were really entertaining but after that there were too many fighters fighting scared. The Machida and Arlovski fights were pretty terrible.

Bisping fought like a bloody maniac. I thought he would gas for sure.

That was the most boring UFC I’ve ever witnessed. Especially after following up some great ones this year.

• Bisping vs Someone with more losses than wins. Are the UFC just feeding Bisping crap fighters so he can keep winning and accumulating support in the UK?

• The Congo fight was terrible, once his opponent got him down, he didn’t do shit. Repeatedly.

• Arlovski: After an interesting first round, we were treated to 10 minutes of nothing.

• Machida: 15 minutes of virtually nothing. This match was booed from the get-go

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
That was the most boring UFC I’ve ever witnessed. Especially after following up some great ones this year.

• Bisping vs Someone with more losses than wins. Are the UFC just feeding Bisping crap fighters so he can keep winning and accumulating support in the UK?

• The Congo fight was terrible, once his opponent got him down, he didn’t do shit. Repeatedly.

• Arlovski: After an interesting first round, we were treated to 10 minutes of nothing.

• Machida: 15 minutes of virtually nothing. This match was booed from the get-go[/quote]

I actually booed the Machida fight. I don’t like to hear booing but that was a terrible fight and deserved to be booed. I disagree with booing fighters because of their nationality but that’s just the football fan mentality we have here.

They were never gonna give Bisping a difficult opponent. I mean come on. He is crucial in helping build the UFC in the UK market because we love our own. If he’d have lost it would have been a disaster. From now on though i expect him to be tested.

I don’t know what was up with Werdum. His chance was to take it to the ground and he tried one take down the whole fight as i remember it.

werdum is pathetic laying on the mat calling arloski down,what a joke

Werdum must have been trying to lose that fight as hard as possible, and he suceeded brilliantly.

[quote]AdamC wrote:

Bisping fought like a bloody maniac. I thought he would gas for sure. [/quote]

I thought he was goiung to gas too. He gave it everything he had. Crazy fight.

How pissed must Dana White be that CroCop lost? He always used to razz on the Pride head honchos for being idiots and letting some of their big marquee stars get beaten by having them fight too-strong fighters before they had a chance to get to a highly anticipated matchup that everyone had been waiting for. In this case it was CroCop-Couture, which is now in the shitter.

Randy Couture is looking huge these days. He looks like he is walking around at about 250.

He looked huge at the fight last night in that suit, but it’s the suit that does it. Trust me; you put an even moderately built guy in a suit and, in the suit, they look like they must be a pro bodybuilder or something.

I think it’s because are minds are trained to picture guys in suits as just slim, or pudgy, desk jockey types. Plus, when a suit is tailored to fit a muscular guy properly, it happens to emphasize the v-taper and the chest size. I’m not ridiculously huge (I’m about 205 at 5’11") but when I’m wearing a suit (which I do 4 days a week) I almost feel kind of big and oafy.

[quote]Damici wrote:
How pissed must Dana White be that CroCop lost? He always used to razz on the Pride head honchos for being idiots and letting some of their big marquee stars get beaten by having them fight too-strong fighters before they had a chance to get to a highly anticipated matchup that everyone had been waiting for. In this case it was CroCop-Couture, which is now in the shitter.[/quote]

Between this getting spoiled and the GSP Hughes rematch getting messed up with Serra’s win he must be steaming.

If Cro Cop comes back healthy he will probably get a rematch depending in how the Gonzaga Couture match goes.

I think it will be much harder for Dana White to justify and promote this.

We still have Big Nog in the title picture soon as well. If Big Nog fights Vera, which it appears he will possibly at UFC 72, I could see the winner facing Arlovski for a title shot.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Randy Couture is looking huge these days. He looks like he is walking around at about 250.[/quote]

Did you see the size of his hands? He looked like a bear holding the microphone.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
We still have Big Nog in the title picture soon as well. If Big Nog fights Vera, which it appears he will possibly at UFC 72, I could see the winner facing Arlovski for a title shot.[/quote]

You think Arlovski deserves a title shot? Or a fight to get to a title shot?

I think he still has more comebacking to do before he’s ready for a shot at the title.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:
Randy Couture is looking huge these days. He looks like he is walking around at about 250.

Did you see the size of his hands? He looked like a bear holding the microphone.

[/quote]

How about when he stood next Gonzaga? He made Gabriel looks small.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
We still have Big Nog in the title picture soon as well. If Big Nog fights Vera, which it appears he will possibly at UFC 72, I could see the winner facing Arlovski for a title shot.

You think Arlovski deserves a title shot? Or a fight to get to a title shot?

I think he still has more comebacking to do before he’s ready for a shot at the title. [/quote]

Possibly. I guess it all depends on the time frame, if Dana wants a fight he is not afraid to push someone who is undeserving. Perhaps the winner of Big Nog/Vera facing Arloski for the shot would work out better. They need to get Werdum and Mirko wins so they will be facing some shit competition and are out of the picture for several months I would think.

Couple of nit-pick thoughts:

When did Mirko drop his last name or legally change it to “CroCop”? isn’t his last name actually Filopivk or something?

Who the hell is Emelianenko Fedor? Joe needs to lay off the bud.

Anyone else think that Mirko is so pissed at himself for losing he is done?

I’m convinced the UFC is rigged. Randy beating Tim…ok. GSP getting ko’d Serra, the guy from TUF? This whole Dana White/Tito thing? Now Crocop gets laid out by…nobody? Come on…it really makes you wonder.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

When did Mirko drop his last name or legally change it to “CroCop”? isn’t his last name actually Filopivk or something?

I’m convinced the UFC is rigged. Randy beating Tim…ok. GSP getting ko’d Serra, the guy from TUF? This whole Dana White/Tito thing? Now Crocop gets laid out by…nobody? Come on…it really makes you wonder.

[/quote]

Fedor is probably the best pound for pound fighter ever to grace MMA. He is 26-1 with his only loss coming to a freak cut that he got 17 seconds in to a fight way back.

He is the current Pride Heavyweight champ and has cleaned up everybody in Pride including Cro Cop and Noguiera (twice).

Here is a nice example of what he can do:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/fedor%2Bv%2Bgoodridge/video/x1pdfd_pride-gp-2003-1-fedorvsgoodridge

Cro Cop has not leagally change his last name as far as im aware, they just use it cos it sounds better than Filipovic.

And i think you need to lay off the bud if you think Cro Cop fight was rigged…who the fuck would let someone kick them in the head that hard?

[quote]AdamC wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Fedor is probably the best pound for pound fighter ever to grace MMA. He is 26-1 with his only loss coming to a freak cut that he got 17 seconds in to a fight way back.

He is the current Pride Heavyweight champ and has cleaned up everybody in Pride including Cro Cop and Noguiera (twice).

Here is a nice example of what he can do:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/fedor%2Bv%2Bgoodridge/video/x1pdfd_pride-gp-2003-1-fedorvsgoodridge

Cro Cop has not leagally change his last name as far as im aware, they just use it cos it sounds better than Filipovic.

And i think you need to lay off the bud if you think Cro Cop fight was rigged…who the fuck would let someone kick them in the head that hard?[/quote]

Step #1:

Step #2:
Re-read my post.

I am well aware of who Fedor is. I’ve just never heard him called “Emelianenko Fedor”, unless it’s that whole backwards last name first first name last thing, I know that’s how it works in japan so maybe that is how he is announced in the Pride fights?

And I was kidding about the UFC being rigged. Just a lot of upsets as of late. That and Dana White likes to pull a lot of pro-wrestleingish moves, like the Tito thing. Also, I’m not too sure why he had that shit-eating grin on his face after the TUF 6 announcment. That was far from earth shattering information. For all I care Gumby and Captian Caveman could be the coaches.