Think Tank Dialogs

I hope everyone who visits this site appreciates what a unique and exceptional resource this will be. CT’s slow-twitch fiber response was pretty incredible for this type of forum. The science and practice wrapped with a handy carrying case. Hats off to the entire T-Nation team. This will be great stuff.
old dogg

I agree, this is just one more feature that sets T-Nation apart from all the other bodybuilding mags and sites.

Definitely cool. A geek like myself just eats up all that science talk.

Here is a follow-up question. How would a person who basically has mixed fibers, perhaps slightly fast-twitch dominant, train to develop strength-endurance?

Yes, thank you for opening the Dialogs.

The dialogues are awesome. great stuff guys

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

Here is a follow-up question. How would a person who basically has mixed fibers, perhaps slightly fast-twitch dominant, train to develop strength-endurance? [/quote]

To respond to my own question after reading all the responses to the Think Tank, it seems that the consensus is to not worry about fiber type.

Based on reading the EDT article and Matt Wiggins’ article, it seems that a good way to build strength-endurance is to take 80% 1RM and do 15 sets of 2 with 60 seconds (or less, if possible) rest between sets.

The Vagina Dialogs rule!

to say the think tank dialogs is AWESOME is a severe understatement.

THINK TANK DIALOGS RULE!!!

just the type of thing i bite, chew, and swallow.

it seems i can’t express my appreciation for this site enough.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

When I thought there was no possible way to milk the contributors for more (or get Tim Patterson to speak) once again I am completely wrong…

And I couldn’t be happier!

I’m already spending wayyy to much time reading about muscle fibers and micellar casein instead of doing my school work.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

Here is a follow-up question. How would a person who basically has mixed fibers, perhaps slightly fast-twitch dominant, train to develop strength-endurance? [/quote]

Mike, how’d you like to be our guinea pig? Give us the following stats and the guys will argue about which training program would be best for you.

Height and weight,
How many reps you can do at 85% max in the following lifts…Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Pullup. Overhead Press.
Vertical jump.
Specific goal.

If there’s someone else reading who just wants to get bigger, let us know (and provide the stats listed above).

waves hand

Only problem is I have’nt really started deadlifting much so I dont know my max. I am working my low back using good mornings and romanian deadlifts.

I have been dropping bodyfat for 3 months now and am at 14% BF - down from 25% or higher…

-Dave

I would be interested to know the distribution of the height as well (i.e. length of limbs and trunk) to see how/if that plays a part in the discussion.

The dialogues are a stunning introduction to this site. Absolutely awesome - I believe this word has been used a lot in this thread:)

Thanks to those who participate in the dialogues - it makes for great reading.

Ian

Too bad that once they’re done talking, there’ll be nothing left to do articles on:)

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:

Here is a follow-up question. How would a person who basically has mixed fibers, perhaps slightly fast-twitch dominant, train to develop strength-endurance?

Mike, how’d you like to be our guinea pig? Give us the following stats and the guys will argue about which training program would be best for you.

Height and weight,
How many reps you can do at 85% max in the following lifts…Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Pullup. Overhead Press.
Vertical jump.
Specific goal.

If there’s someone else reading who just wants to get bigger, let us know (and provide the stats listed above).
[/quote]

I think I would make an interesting guinea pig for you guys. I’ll be honest here and say that my training has been sporadic that few months and my diet has sucked. I won’t make any excuses for it because there are none - I’ve gotten fat and that’s all there is to it. My problem is I like to eat too damn much. But I’m at a point now where I can train regularly again, which is important because I’ve noticed that regular training suppresses my appetite. But as soon as I start missing workouts, I get the carb munchies. So, here goes:

Height: 5’8"
Weight: 245 (Yeah, I know, I’m a fat ass.)

85% of 1-rep maxes:
Squat: 305
Front Squat: 210
Deadlift: 305
Overhead Press: 145
Power Snatch: 125
Romanian DL: 240

The above list are the main lifts that I work. I know these aren’t all of the lifts you requested. For instance, I concentrate on overhead pressing rather than benching so I have no idea what my current bench max might be. I also don’t have a pull up station. I train at home so I only have the basics - squat rack, bench w/ an incline but the leg curl/extension thing is broken (and I hate those two exercises anyway). I also have 2 32 kg kettlebells, 1 40 kg KB, and 1 24 kg KB.

Lately I’ve been working on conditioning. Despite my weight, I’ve done sprint interval on grass and I seem to be able to jump rope without destroying my joints.

Goal: Lose fat and increase strength endurance.

There you go.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
The Vagina Dialogs rule![/quote]

Vagina Rules!!

Tell us how many reps you can do at 85% of 1RM…

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
Height and weight,
Vertical jump.
Specific goal.[/quote]

I’m currently following CW’s ABBH, but I’ll play this game if you don’t mind. Only problem is that I’ve gained weight quicker than I’ve gained strength recently (I put on 10lbs in the last 7 weeks thanks to SFM and ABBH).

Height: 5’4"
Weight: 156lbs

Bench Press: 185x5, 215x1 = ~183lbs @ 85%
Front Squat: 175x5, 205x1 = ~175lbs @ 85%
Back Squat: Haven’t done any in a while. I did 135x20 for fun but haven’t done any heavy back squats yet.
Deadlift: 300x1 = 255lbs @ 85%
Chin-up: BW+25x5
Overhead Press: Stopped doing overhead work due to shoulder injury - I feel so much better now! I was doing 95x8.
Vertical jump: No clue. But people think I can jump high for my size and are usually amazed.

Goal: Size and Strength. I’m hoping to get to 165-170lbs and increase my strength beyond my all-time bests (which I’m quite near to already doing).

[quote]John M Berardi wrote:
Tell us how many reps you can do at 85% of 1RM…
[/quote]

I can get 5 reps with those weights.

Thanks for your help, gentlemen.