Silver and Steel

DE Upper today!
As bad as I felt yesterday, I felt good today. Just getting out of the car and moving around made the difference, I think.

Warmup (3 rounds):

• 8 hanging leg raises
  • 15s plank
  • 15 BPA
  1. DE Bench
    45/10
    95/5
    135/3
    165/3 x 12 (3 grips)
    30s between sets

2. DB Incline
    40/6
    75/4
    95/8
    95/8 + 65/9

3. Smith Seated Press
    2s holds on first and last reps
    45/6
    95/6
    145/8
    165/5

4. DB Y Raise
    15/14 x 3

5. Spider Crawls
    4 sets

6. Rope Pressdown
    27.5/10
    52.5/12 x 4

7. DB Kickout
    Pretty slow tempo
    30/8 x 3

V-Diet has gone very well, but tomorrow is probably the end (2 days early). Rather than pretend the full racks of ribs I’m about to eat are a single “healthy solid meal,” let’s just call it what it is and eat up. I am liking the idea of keeping my carbs around my workouts and probably still having about half my week be V-Diet. It’s convenient, not difficult, and I don’t like being chubby (which is really easy for me) - I’m the opposite of the people on here that have to force feed themselves. I can not pay attention for a bit and all of a sudden be 230 if left to my own devices!

10 Likes

Woke up a little before 4, got some ribs on the smoker, did my workout, and walked the dog just in time to get back do the foil wrap for the ribs - everything’s coming up Milhouse.

1. HS Low Row
    1pps/12
    2pps/6
    3.1pps/8 x 3
    This was a bit heavy

2. One-arm BB Row
    25/6
    50/12 x 2
    50/12 + 8

3. Assisted Pull-ups
    -85/10 x 3
    Hold in midrange on last rep

4. Machine Rear Delts
    60/30 x 3

5. Seated DB Hammer Curl
    15/10
    25/10 + 5
    My left biceps tendon was a little sore and these didn’t feel awesome, so I just tried to go slow. Probably should have just done something else

6. Machine Preacher
    70/8 x 3
    These felt fine

5 Likes

ME Legs… oof

Warmup: 3 rounds

• 8 hanging leg raises
  • 15s plank
  • 15 BPA
  1. Seated Leg Curls
    40/15
    70/6
    100/10 x 4

2. SSB
    45/8
    135/6
    225/3
    315/3
    245/5
    265/5
    245/5

3. Speed DL
    225/2
    300/1 x 15
    10s between reps

4. Belt Squat
    1pps/4
    2pps/8
    2pps/8 + 6 + 6

5. BSS Drop Set of Death
    BW/5
    10/5
    20/5
    30/8 + 8s + 20/8 + 8s + 10/8 + 8s + BW/8 + 8s

6. RDL
    135/6
    195/8 x 3

7. Seated Calf
    .3pps/15 x 4
    Tibia raises in between sets

8. Decline Sit-up
    3 x 11

7 Likes

ME Upper. Didn’t go awesome today. I was tired and hungry and called it early. I think that was the wise choice, vs the wussy one, but who knows. Tomorrow is another day.

Warmup: 3 rounds:

• 8 hanging leg raises
  • 15s plank
  • 15 BPA
  1. Slight Decline DB Press
    40/15
    65/8
    85/4
    100/8
    100/8 + 70/12
    Great job here

2. Incline Press
    Still somewhat narrow grip
    45/8
    135/6
    185/3
    235/1
    Absolutely nothing. Knew I was done here
    195/4 (3s neg)
    195/3 (3s neg)

3. Lowish Incline DB Press
    65/4
    85/8
    85/0 —> felt terrible getting these in place, so said that was it.

Went home, walked the dog, played with the kids a little and am about to do some yard work (I do very little of that anymore).

7 Likes

Says like a good day to me

1 Like

I walked the dog this morning, then had early calls, so had to go to the gym in the afternoon. It’s not my preferred time, but it worked out. I decided to drink my coffee while walking here, which became and entertaining decision: the last 1/2 mile was like a suspense thriller wondering whether our hero would make it home or improve a neighbor’s yard.

The kids are in a sleep away camp all week and I miss them! My wife and I are doing dinners out and trivia nights and that kind of thing to take advantage, but I’m always very aware how quickly the time is going.

Anyway, today was DE legs.

Totally forgot to do the little warmup circuit. Shot a little basketball though, so it evens out.

1. Lying Leg Curls
    40/15
    70/10
    95/6
    125/8 + 95/8 + 20 partials

2. DE SSB Box Squats
    So much better on the shoulders! The straight bar may genuinely be in my past.
    45/6
    135/5
    205/2 x 20
    30s between sets

3. Leg Press
    Had to use a different one today, but it was really smooth.
    2pps/6
    4pps/6
    5pps/14 x 2

4. Reverse Hyper
    1pps/12 x 3

5. Decline Leg Raise
    3 x 12
    I don’t know if that last set really counted as 12… it got sloppy

6. Standing Calf
    190/12 x 3
    25 tibia raises between

10 Likes

DE Upper today

Warmup (3 rounds):

• 8 hanging leg raises
  • 15s plank
  • 15 BPA
  1. DE Bench
    45/8
    95/6
    135/5
    165/3 x 15 (3 grips)
    30s between sets

2. DB Incline
    60/8
    80/4
    100/8
    100/7 + 70/7

3. Smith Seated Press
    2s holds on first and last reps
    45/6
    95/6
    155/8
    175/5

4. DB Y Raise
    15/16 x 3

5. Spider Crawls
    5 sets

6. Rope Pressdown
    27.5/10
    52.5/14 x 4

7. DB Kickout
    35/8 x 3

Great day today. Everything felt smooth. I’m way in my 90s bodybuilding groove of meals, cardio and lifting

7 Likes

That is my jam

2 Likes

Ah it’s good to have you back. Hope the break was awesome!

1 Like

It’s great to be back, and the time away was excellent, no social medial for 4 weeks,
Just family time, eating, drinking and relaxing. Quality

3 Likes

My daughter went to one for the first time this summer . . man they grow up fast

2 Likes

It does go fast! I find myself getting choked up about freaking everything now. I was never overly sensitive, but I am very aware how short the time is growing.

3 Likes

I confess I’m glad to find myself in good company, here.

2 Likes

I read an essay years ago entitled John Chancellor Makes Me Cry, in which the author talked about becoming teary watching the evening news as she got older, because the anchorman was doing such a good job and his mother must be so proud. I was probably in my late 20s/early 30s with very small children, and it was impactful. I feel that way watching other people’s kids now, even the grown ones. Sometimes it happens when the kid in question sucks - I get overwhelmed by how much his or her parents must love him/her and how high their hopes must have been at one time. I worry that THEY worry that the kid isn’t okay.

It’s just all so poignant.

1 Like

I am sure this is something that happens after 40. I am in this club.

2 Likes

Well, you’re in company anyway. It’s nice to not be alone!

With some frequency, one of the songs about kids growing up will come on my headphones in the gym (always when I’m doing something difficult) - I end up an absolute mess. I can’t wait until someone catches that on camera and posts one of the Internet “what’s his deal” videos.

Maybe so. We were even at their Inside Out 2 movie not long ago, and I got a little sad for the little cartoon girl trying to make cartoon friends playing cartoon hockey!

Yesterday was pull day. Everyone was using everything I wanted so I kept having to find substitutions, so the progressions are kinda there? This isn’t really a main day on this program anyway.

1. LF Low Row
    Another plate-loaded row, so that was fine. I actually liked this one better, so we’ll keep it!
    1pps/10
    2pps/8
    3pps/8 x 3

2. One-arm BB Row
    25/6
    60/12 x 2
    60/12 + 35/6

3. Pullups
    BW/6
    Oof, these were hard. My shoulders and elbows are really starting to get banged up

4. Cable Rear Delts
    3 x 30

5. Rope Hammer Curl
    Elbows hurt, so I didn’t want to do the dumbbells
    Warmup
    3 x 10 + 5 partials

6. Incline DB Curl
    3 x 10ish

I was on a boring call the other day, and still had to go do some cardio, and had an epiphany… so I finally put a coat rack (I mean bike!) in my office. The dog still gets her walks, but I just can’t get my heart rate up high enough for long enough that I’m really “counting” that anymore. I’ve been adding 15-20 minutes here and there, but I can’t be at the gym all day every day, so I think this will help a little. Plus I can just do it while in meetings, when normally I pace around, so I think it’s a good fit. It shames me if I walk by it to sit down, so that’s cool.

Kids come home from their sleepaway camp tomorrow! I’m really excited to see them. We haven’t talked to them the whole week, which I think is a record. Not actually I guess, because I was still in the Army and going places when they were babies… but they were babies; they weren’t talking anyway. I’m hoping they had a great time. I’m sure my daughter did, she’s up for anything, but my son was really, really nervous about being around the other kids. He turns 14 in a couple weeks, and this is a tough hurdle for him. I’m very hopeful he comes back happy and feeling he conquered a challenge!

7 Likes

gotta love the emphasis on this. I am a total nightmare when it comes to movies these days. Watched a movie the other day where one of the characters had Parkinson disease, which my late nan had. My daughter asked me what it was or what it does and when I explained it to her I kept thinking if nan and just burst into tears. My daughter didn’t know what do or say, she just asked me if I was ok and gave me a hug. Took me a few mins to compose myself and explain.

1 Like

I totally get it! Nice moment with your daughter, though. She won’t understand for many years herself, but she still knows to comfort you - that’s quality stuff.

Really rough ME leg day today, but not in the good way. I barely got into it and had to hang it up. Back and knees just hurt too bad. I’m on the road a lot in the next few months. I’m going to have to figure out how to be smart. I don’t like saying “I can’t do X anymore,” although it comes up every couple months, so I need to get better at reframing: “I’ve earned my way into Y.”

ME Lower
Warmup (3 rounds):

• 8 hanging leg raises
  • 15s plank
  • 15 BPA
  1. Seated Leg Curl
    40/15
    70/10
    110/10 x 4
    Every rep felt off, and my right knee kept popping. It’s just leg curls, so whatever, but it will come up again in a minute.

2. SSB Squat
    So on this I’m supposed to work up to a decently heavy 3, which has been 3 plates the last couple weeks. Today I did a set with the bar, that didn’t feel good but didn’t feel awful. Then I did a set of 5 with 135 that was seriously almost a grind. So I stayed there for 3 or 4 sets, just trying to get warm, and it never really loosened up. Then I went to 185 for a couple, then 225. At that point, my back tweaked a little, probably because my knees didn’t want to take the weight. I decided that needed to be it for the day, and I’m pretty uncomfortable still so that was the right call.

Travel starts picking up again now, anyway, so my plan was to transition to something else. I can get a lot done in some of these nicer hotel gyms/ on the road, but I can’t guarantee the barbell work and I certainly can’t fit in these longer workouts 5x a week. I am going to have to find something a little more sustainable, anyway, because the last couple times I’ve tried volumes this high it hasn’t really gone great. I might survive, but I’m not killing it. I dunno; all up for pondering.

In good news: my kids come home today! We go pick them up at a little campfire and then bring them home, so that’s exciting. We’ve got the rest of the summer super booked whenever I’m home - an upcoming highlight is I’m taking my daughter to WWE Summer Slam (one of their monthly bigger shows) in a couple weeks. It’s really funny how much she loves that stuff.

10 Likes

Awesome way to spin it—gonna try that myself!

1 Like

We’ll see if I’m successful doing so. I haven’t been so far. I prefer to keep pounding my head into the wall until I fall down.

2 Likes