Mag-10 as a muscle retainer during prolonged (forced) fasting

Hi y’all. I am a mailman and work 12–14 hour days. Due to time restrictions, I have breakfast and end up eating my “lunch” in my car once I am through with work. I manage to drink four scoops of branch chain amino acids in a gallon of water but I’m losing muscle. Snacks would be suggested, but my hands are filthy from the vehicle primarily (as they’re well over 25 years old) but also the mail and everything else I have to touch. I’m wondering if Mag-10 would be of use in preserving muscle mass. It looks cost prohibitive as it would probably take two or three scoops each day which means I would get only five servings per bag. Anyone have input on this? Thank you.

A Mag-10 pulse or two during your shift would go along way. I’d also recommend FINi bars to help fuel you through your day.

If Mag-10 would be too cost prohibitive, you could try bringing some prepared Metabolic Drive shakes, especially if you have a way to keep them chilled.

2 Likes

Boiled eggs. Beef sticks. Keto bricks. Protein powder in a shaker. Plenty of options.

Pretty much what @Matthew_Weeldreyer said.

I’ve found the Metabolic Drive can get relatively warm before it’s disgusting. If you even just toss a couple ice cubes in your bottle on the way out the door, I think you’re good. If you have an insulated cup, you’re golden.

2 Likes

Can you wear disposable nitrile gloves to help keep your hands clean? They are inexpensive and you can get fairly thick gloves that can hold up really well. I prefer these to mechanics gloves, which just get dirty quickly and don’t wash well.

1 Like

Seek IMMEDIATE medical attention if you are losing muscle over such a short period of time. You may be suffering from some sort of muscle wasting disease or flesh eating bacteria.

I can’t speak to Mag-10 specifically, but I use Metabolic Drive during weekdays as my primary source of protein/nutrition until my end of day meals, and it works well.

4 Likes

Since the pandemic there is NO shortage of any kind of wet wipes you can clean your hands with. Literally ALL kinds. Even ones with just water to rinse them off.

1 Like

I’m afraid of ordering the bars due to the heat as they will undoubtedly melt in transit and then re-harden to who knows what. I make protein shakes, but I can’t even drink those. It’s go, go, go!

I carry a cooler with freezer blocks so keeping things cool is not a problem, it’s more or less having the opportunity to get them in my stomach. My question was (more or less) would it be better than BCAAs?

1 Like

Where are you? I have never had a job that you couldn’t drink something. Maybe you are dehydrated?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I keep a few FINi bars in my glove box without issues.

Granted, my summers can get hot, but not surface of the sun hot.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly believe “yes;” I think a complete protein source will have a muscle-sparing/ building impact that BCAAs cannot match.

3 Likes

Problem solved

2 Likes

Some carriers do that and I may have to.

I am a mailman in Texas. Because I have less than two years experience carrying mail, the supervisors continually send me from route to route with the stopwatch ever ticking and I carry a scanner so they can see if I am moving or if I’m stationary. Even five minutes to take natural peanut butter with a protein oatmeal mix (which I carry with me) isn’t possible without incurring their wrath. I carry a gallon of water with the BCAAs as I mentioned, and I can drink a bit at stoplights but I’m wondering Mag10 would be better than the amino acids. I agree, I’ve never had an occupation where I couldn’t take 5–10 minutes to get something in my stomach.

3 Likes

You probably have air-conditioning. These vehicles do not. And they’ll be roughly 3–5 days in transit in vehicles without A/C.

1 Like

I work several stations and drive a different vehicle each time. Multiple carriers have tried that and have gotten one or two days use before it ends up in someone else’s vehicle and… done.

Thanks for your input. I’ll probably try theFinibars bars, wish they were available in a store, but I’ll definitely pick up mag 10, especially with the presale.

BCAA are a waste of $$… boiled eggs, meat sticks, keto bricks, Metabolic Drive in a shaker bottle… all far better and are not inconvenient

1 Like

Remember, BCAAs and AAs don’t have calories. They may have their uses, but you’re having a calorie intake issue, and that’s not going to be solved with BCAAs. As noted above, whole food snacks (eggs, FiniBars, MD protein shakes, Ect) are going to be your best answer.

La’

1 Like