Journey to Size

Hi everybody!

This log is a continuation of my “intro” in this thread: Can I Realistically Improve my Body Now?

In summary, I used to do judo and kickboxing back in high school, but later, during the uni I was struggling with no time to train, no money, some health issues etc. and I lost all my condition and a lot of weight (about 25lbs in last 2 years).

So now, I’m like 160lbs. I’d love to put on plenty of mass, not necessarily ripped. I’ve always admired huge physiques of strongmen and powerlifters, so I’d love to get to about 220lbs, maybe somewhat above, if possible.

But realizing, that’s an extremely long-term perspective, now I’d like to simply get mobile and fit, for the beginning.

14/6/2019
Evening training:
I found some notes from my last year rehab, so I’ll use them also to get back some core strength.

• “Rehab” exercises to strengthen my abs (20min)
  • 4 x 15 reps push-ups
  • 4 x 15 reps squats

While it sounds funny, I felt totally wasted already after the core training. Push-ups and squats done with huge pauses, I really needed to catch my breath.

Also, every time in the lower position (both during push-up and squat) my joints are cracking, which made me quite nervous. But, let’s continue and hopefully it will be gone in a while.

1 Like

In for the log man.

I’ve had time back after lay offs myself, this stuff comes back quickly.

1 Like

Yeah getting back to it is always hard the first few times. My knees are cracking loudly also when I do when bodyweight squats but they don"t when I put on some weight (got ACL surgery on both) you shouldn’t worry about it.

You said you’re from the South of France? Where?

Well, that sounds good!

Also, I’m from the Czech Republic - I’ve been to the South France, Toulouse specifically, for the last year.

15/6/2019
Afternoon training
A little of free time, so it’s here:

• Core exercises
  • 2 x 15 normal push-ups
  • 1 x 15 push-ups on fists
  • 3 x 15 squats

Feeling very tired even after this, but squats are much better, legs seem quite strong still. Also, if I’m not squatting “not top of my heels”, but just under horizontal position, the cracking vanishes completely.

1 Like

Like above, it comes back quickly, although you will be sore! Good stuff for making the change mate

@dagill2 @I_Luc Thank you very much for support, guys!

1 Like

16/12/2019
Rest

17/12/2019
Morning
A little of time in the morning:

• 1 x 15 push ups
  • 1 x 20 squats

Evening

• Core exercises
  • 4 x 15 push ups
  • 4 x 20 squats

Legs are ok (surprisingly), but upper body feels terrible - huge pecs asymmetry and the whole upper body feels overtrained. Abs feel much better now, seem to be much stronger and also firmer than a few days ago…

1 Like

18/6/2019
No time to train, huge workload for the last few days :frowning:

19/6/2019
New photo - slightly improved definition of the upper body, other than that, the size (or better said, the lack of it) is terrible… :frowning_face:

Today still working, but I’ll make the workout later in the evening.

Well guys, I’m back! I had no time to write here, because of me moving back to my home country, dividing things with my ex and undergoing a minor surgery this week. That said, I’ll be back into training (and a real gym finally) in the end of July. I’m looking forward!

1 Like

Ok, now I got back after a loong time, trying to train back after Corona and so on… Current weight is about 183lbs, albeit both muscle and fat were gained.

Hi everybody!

After 2 years of studying, moving from apartment to apartment and many other things I’ve decided to get back to the gym with the very same motivation as before - get above 220lbs if possible with no real motivation to get really jacked.

My bodyweight is 85kg (~187lbs) now, feel kinda small… That said, during the last two weeks I’ve lost like 1-2kg (~2-4lbs), probably not eating enough. Also, kinda stressed consistently due to several long-term personal problems, hopefully will deal with them in the following months.

I wanted to try Mehdi’s Stronglifts 5x5 program, I’ll supplement my current lifts as soon as I find my notebook :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, I always feel, that no matter how much I do weight, my chest looks really flat (at photos especially) compared to the rest of my body - is it simply the matter of size or should I employ some “shaping” exercises like peck-deck later?

1 Like

Ok, so the last two trainings:

7. 11. 2022
Squats 5x5 67.5kg
Benchpress 5x5 55kg
Barbell rows 5x5 40kg
Hanging knee raises 3x12

9. 11. 2022
Squats 5x5 70kg
Overhead press 5x5 37.5kg
Deadlift 1x5 75kg
Hanging knee raises 3x12

Considering, that the lifts are quite under my 1-rep maxes, so far it goes well, aside from quite an exhaustion after squats - I suppose it’s due to not eating enough and not sleeping very well in the last few months.

Also, typically, I feel weakest at benchpress and overhead press - thus I expect the plateau to exhibit in these exercises pretty soon. Considering my chronically weak benchpress (all time max being only ~95kg with bodyweight around 90kg), I’ll probably post videos of my technique during the week for you to judge me and hopefully provide some advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today’s training:

14. 11. 2022
Squats 5x5 72.5kg
Benchpress 5x5 57.5kg
Barbell rows 5x5 42.5kg
Hanging knee raises 3x12

I’ll provide new photos and videos to check the technique soon.

Also, the training was quite easy weight-wise, but after eating almost nothing today and sleeping really bad I felt terribly tired for the first half of it. Also, my muscles are not sore at all after trainings - can it be by too low weights so far?

1 Like

Today’s photos:

I’m quite content with the back, but the front of my body looks terrible - basically no volume and looking flabby, albeit it doesn’t feel like that on touch…

And yes, the posing is really bad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And finally, the videos of today’s exercises - could you, please, pinpoint some most severe mistakes?

1 Like

16. 11. 2022
Squats 5x5 75kg
Overhead press 5x5 40kg
Deadlift 1x5 80kg
Hanging knee raises 3x12

Squats felt really easy, a little struggle with overhead press due to a not very good technique in the beginning - I’ve improved it a little bit in the last two series. Deadlift ok.

With slightly improved overhead press I felt upper chest after a really long time - that’s new :slight_smile:

2 Likes

18. 11. 2022
Squats 5x5 77.5kg
Benchpress 5x5 60kg
Barbell rows 5x5 45kg
Knee raises 3x12

Today it felt really easy, on the other hand, no significant change in bodyweight so far… Probably will have to log my food too, to see, if I’m eating too little…

1 Like