How Tight Should a Lifting Belt Be?

I just ordered a belt from elitefts, and I’m wondering whether or not I got the correct size.

With two spare belt holes left, it’s pretty tight, and I have to pull in my stomach a bit to wear the belt at that setting. It’s also sitting at my hips, is that the correct position or should it go up higher?

Too small? Okay?

Call and talk to Jim, he will give you better advice than anyone here.

I wear my belt higher than that. Mine is across my lower back and around my gut.

I would say have it tight enough so that you can push your abs out against it (for me it’s where you can still jam a couple of fingers between it and my stomach).

As for position… I like it around my belly (so the bottom of the belt is just below my belly button). If it starts moving up your body as you squat then it’s too low.

Why are you using a belt? It will increase your max in the squat but it will decrease your core strength. What I’m saying is that you should do most of your work sets without a belt. This will build up the core muscles. When you are going for a max use the belt for a few workouts to get used to it and go for it. But do most of your training without belt or wraps.

I haven’t been using a belt, and from now on I’ll be using one on over 85% lifts for safety. I’d rather have a healthy spine than be able to say I don’t use a belt.

Using a belt won’t keep your spine healthy!

[quote]dbutkus wrote:
Why are you using a belt? It will increase your max in the squat but it will decrease your core strength. What I’m saying is that you should do most of your work sets without a belt. This will build up the core muscles. When you are going for a max use the belt for a few workouts to get used to it and go for it. But do most of your training without belt or wraps.[/quote]

Bump!! On max lifts (squat,dead,row) use a belt. I wear it around the lumbar area with a snug fit. I carry it during my workout mainly to tag the equip. I am using when I need to get a quick drink of water.

Healthy spine?? How are you going to increase your core muscle strength wearing a belt? It sounds like your on your way to helping a chiropractor make his/her BMW payments. Look around your gym and observe.

Alrightie. I’ll avoid the belt. However, I find that my back is stronger than my abs and takes over on torso stabilization for a lot of lifts, aside from leg raises and planks anyone have any specific good ab strengtheners?

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
Alrightie. I’ll avoid the belt. However, I find that my back is stronger than my abs and takes over on torso stabilization for a lot of lifts, aside from leg raises and planks anyone have any specific good ab strengtheners?[/quote]

I’m no expert on abs but an exercise I picked up from a yoga class (Bikram 90+degrees, 90+ humidity, 90 minutes - will not help your lifts but will cut weight like crazy, I did it maybe 5 times - not for me) is starting curled up in the crunch position with hands behind head, twist right elbow to left knee while fully straightening the right leg keeping foot about 6 inches off ground then alternate

[quote]dbutkus wrote:
Why are you using a belt? It will increase your max in the squat but it will decrease your core strength. What I’m saying is that you should do most of your work sets without a belt. This will build up the core muscles. When you are going for a max use the belt for a few workouts to get used to it and go for it. But do most of your training without belt or wraps.[/quote]

I fucking HATE this shite. This is the biggest bullshit ever. It will not make you weaker. If you start wearing a belt and your squat goes from 300 to 400 over the course of a month has everything but your core suddenly got miraculously weaker??? Jesus.

1 Like

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
Alrightie. I’ll avoid the belt. However, I find that my back is stronger than my abs and takes over on torso stabilization for a lot of lifts, aside from leg raises and planks anyone have any specific good ab strengtheners?[/quote]

Pulldown abs (like a standing crunch holding a cable behind your head).

Get a belt. Are you willing to sacrifice stonger legs and more muscle for a “stronger” core?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
dbutkus wrote:
Why are you using a belt? It will increase your max in the squat but it will decrease your core strength. What I’m saying is that you should do most of your work sets without a belt. This will build up the core muscles. When you are going for a max use the belt for a few workouts to get used to it and go for it. But do most of your training without belt or wraps.

I fucking HATE this shite. This is the biggest bullshit ever. It will not make you weaker. If you start wearing a belt and your squat goes from 300 to 400 over the course of a month has everything but your core suddenly got miraculously weaker??? Jesus.[/quote]

No shit.

As a person who was born and raised in Chicago, I am embarrassed by the screen name you chose.

I’m sure your core does get weaker with always wearing a belt. Don’t wear one, if your going for a max lift I guess you can use one if you’d like…its optional and how you prefer it.

A. I use a belt (from Elitefts) when I get “heavy” on my squats and deads. That is over 90%1RM and generally as I get closer to 100%. It definitly helps you get a little “push” out of the hole (I don’t know how else to explain it).

B. My belt fits the same as you say yours does. I generally go as tight as possible (maybe to 3 holes in) for squat, and 2 holes for deadlift. I’m not sure where I heard to do that from, it might have been Eric Cressey, but whoever it was said to go one notch loser with the dead.

Good luck. Lift heavy.

DD

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’m sure your core does get weaker with always wearing a belt. Don’t wear one, if your going for a max lift I guess you can use one if you’d like…its optional and how you prefer it.[/quote]

Where in his post did he state he was going to wear it all the time?

Instead of being Captain Obvious, why not give this guy some credit for even a base level of knowledge.

Additionally, did it ever occur to you people that there are lots of ways to strengthen the core, and people who wear belts with some frequency (meet cycle, injury, etc.) probably need to supplement a little more than people who do not?

This is just stupid shit.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

Instead of being Captain Obvious, why not give this guy some credit for even a base level of knowledge.

Additionally, did it ever occur to you people that there are lots of ways to strengthen the core, and people who wear belts with some frequency (meet cycle, injury, etc.) probably need to supplement a little more than people who do not?

[/quote]
Beat me to the punch. Max Effort work only for me 90% plus

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
dl- wrote:
I’m sure your core does get weaker with always wearing a belt. Don’t wear one, if your going for a max lift I guess you can use one if you’d like…its optional and how you prefer it.

[/quote]

Okay I’ve just seen people who wear belts wear it a lot of the time, and I think it should be refrained. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. I’m just saying to refrain from it. I think a belt is a good idea for a max lift, most of the shit you do should be without it. If you have a competiton and shit like that, supplement it in to get used to it. Do it and there we go.

85% and up, tight but enough slack so that I have to push my abs out.

Don’t be a doucher and act like belts have no place in lifting heavy ass shit.

Play around with it and find out what works for you. FWIW though, here’s how I use a belt:

For light squatting, I wear one kind of loose just to lock my briefs in place.

For heavy squat attempts, pretty tight is good, but not so tight I can’t get it on by myself. With a big gulp of air and flaring my abs, the belt becomes very tight. I like the belt high up, so that it is centered over my navel.

For bench, I like it very tight and low on my waist to hold my shirt in place. Otherwise (i.e.- no shirt), I don’t use one.

On deads, I like it set up high and kind of loose, so it does not interfere with getting down to the bar. This is especially important for conventional pulling. Turning it around backwards- so the buckle is on you back also helps with this.

Again, just my two kopeks…

[quote]Pinto wrote:

For bench, I like it very tight and low on my waist to hold my shirt in place. Otherwise (i.e.- no shirt), I don’t use one.

[/quote]

Use a regular belt for this (ie, the kind you wear to hold up pants). It works better and is easier to put on.