Fight Club Workout

Actually, we were using MMA gloves and shin pads, but it was no “ordinary sparring”, we were beating the crap of each other. We all have been injured(I broke my right hand and my ribs), this is why we quickly changed our approach.

Seriously, you can’t imagine how strong the human body is. Most people assume that they would destroy any kind of opponent with a single punch, but they would quicly realize how wrong they are if they were to fight for real. In the real life a fight between two determined giuys last much longer than in the movies. It is the most important lesson I have learned from doing it: we are not the heroes we think we are.

Trust me, unless you’ve been competing in a striking-based combat sport(muay thai, boxing or kickboxing) for a while, you would feel powerless if you were to punch or kick a guy with full force. A blow that causes a dangerous wound is (most of the time) given by surprise or received by a guy who is not defending himself(fear, intimidation). You don’t know what it takes to be an effective striker. Devastating blows can only be delivered after a long period of practice, and this is not a matter of strength and power, the main components of a successful strike are: timing, distance estimation, and quickness. It comes after a minimal practice.

Of course you can throw one or two effective blows in a fight if you are a beginner, but most of them are likely to miss their target or to be easily predictable. I have seen a shitload of fight between beginners, and most of the time, even if they are strong guys, the blows they receive and give are not causing a lot of harm, usually they end up with a swollen wrist, a blooding nose, but there is little chance to see a major wound.

Once the fight is on the ground, or after the first effective blow, they stop the fight, because it’s only a game. It requires a lot of chance to break a nose, or to ko an opponent on your first attempt in this context if you are not an accomplished fighter.

The human body is much stronger than we are told. If a fight is stopped at the right time, there is little chance to be seriously injured. If you don’t fight all day long, with some precautions(minimal padding), it is not so dangerous.
I’m sure that my statement will quickly be approved by every MMA practionner who is reading it.

make sure you all have health and dental insurance

[quote]Maldoror wrote:
The human body is much stronger than we are told. If a fight is stopped at the right time, there is little chance to be seriously injured.
[/quote]

An MMA fight and an unregulated fight aren’t the same thing. In street fights, someone can get hurt in the first five seconds with a knee to the groin, eye gouge, earring tear, etc.

I second the video game comment. Just get yourself an X-box 360 and some cool fighting games.

Well I have a similar thing… but it’s kind of different from your approach. It’s more of a family oriented competition that we ALWAYS have. It’s usually divided into a wrestling match, that always starts between myself and one of my older brothers, and a flat out brawl.

But then again, this is more of a tradition than a “club”. But the practice does help, considering that we really do slug it out with eachother, and someone always ends up getting hurt (we’ve broken noses and cracked knucles plenty of times)… but hey, builds character, and it kind of trains you for the occasional dumbass who wants to fight you on the street, for whatever excuse he can think of.

This is also only between relatives, and a few friends who have pretty much integrated themselves into the family.

As far as training for it… try fighting. I mean, that’s how I learned. Get your ass handed to you for a few weeks, and you’ll quickly pick up the pace. Work out on the side, do some cardio. It’s not that difficult. I mean, if you want to train for fighting, fight, if you wan’t to train for endurance, train for endurance. And if the rules are anything like my “family tradition”, meaning the only things you can’t do is eye gouging and hitting to the throat (hey, we’re having a family contest, not trying to maim Uncle Bill for molesting his neice… because he didn’t).

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
derek wrote:
Have ya read today’s STRONG WORDS?

"My father taught me how to be a man - and not by instilling in me a sense of machismo or an agenda of dominance. He taught me that a real man doesn’t take, he gives; he doesn’t use force, he uses logic;

Two things. First, I’m all for avoiding fights when possible. But when push comes to shove, a real man can handle his business.

Second, what has Kevin Smith accomplished that should make me heed any of his words? Isn’t he the dude from “Clerks”?

Maybe he has accomplished something… I really don’t know. But strong words can only come from strong speakers.

What has he done that makes him worthy to teach life lessons?[/quote]

Whatever you say Cal. There’s more to being a man than fighting (and I’ve done my share of it.) I didn’t even realize who Kevin Smith was until you taught me. Never saw the movie. But I kinda liked what he said.

It’s not up to me to decide how “strong” someone has to be to say something worthy of attention. I believe you’ve made some strong comments here and in the past and I’m not sure exactly what gives YOU the authority to do so.

Start an orgy club. Invite females friends. It’ll be a lot more fun.

here’s some food for thought

flood your basement and turn the A/C really cold (or buy rollerblades)

get some hockey gloves and sticks.

watch and learn:

ok this is what you should do…me and my cousin did this back in the day.

get some rules down, if you want it to be bloody then go all out pride or ufc rules.

• either have it go till the person taps out, gets beat till he passes out or till he screams

• i would sud jest you get a boxing bag to practice and improve your punching…all out conditioning

• get some mma gloves, they are the best for these little fight clubs…no gay big boxing gloves just get the ones were you can ground and pound

Just make sure to videotape it, put the video on YouTube and then post the link so we can see.

“jest you”

The best answer to why you should not do this.

I didn’t even read all the posts, I thought it was pretty funny. But it just reminded me when I was in gr.6 and me and a bunch of my friends would go in the bathroom in the mornin, turn the lights off, and swing wildy fighting eachother for no reason what so ever.

Pretty much just for the adrenaline rush and turning on the lights and seeing what the outcome was…the usual bloody noises n shit. Ahhh damn lol

dl-

Darwin Award seems appropriate.

It’s nice to see all the internet tough guys have found this thread.

[quote]keaster wrote:
It’s nice to see all the internet tough guys have found this thread.[/quote]

Yup! Being able to handle yourself/protect yourself is one thing. Fighting for the f*** of it is another.

I’ve never been one to back down from a fight but I know I’ve avoided one much more often.

Dude me and my buddies tried the exact same thing you did when we were in like the ninth grade. We then realized how fucking stupid we were after we ALL got stitches on our heads on the very first day.

We decided that we’d end this shit right then and there and we swore never to tell anyone how stupid we were. But our parents found out anyway. Our parents all know each other and when they found out that ALL the kids came home with bruises and cuts they knew that we’d all been fighting each other.

Seriously you can get really hurt fighting bare knuckled. Wear some fucking gloves.

Btw I got my ass kicked probably worse than anyone else.

First thing you do is make sure your insurance is paid up and you have a family doctor’s phone number close to you.

Dude, that was a movie with fake blood and really-close-but-not-quite blows to the head. I’m pretty sure Brad would even say this is foolish. Somebody could get seriously ripped up in a fight like that (as in not be able to walk again or perhaps die).

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:

watch and learn:

God i miss playing hockey, if you want to see a cheap boxing match go watch a junior(18 and up) hockey game, they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I remember my 1st bench clearing brawl when i was 13, haha what a good time.

and back to the original poster(if this is real). your an idiot.

[quote]blok wrote:
hockechamp14 wrote:

watch and learn:

God i miss playing hockey, if you want to see a cheap boxing match go watch JR(18 and up) hockey game, they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I remember my 1st bench clearing brawl when i was 13, haha what a good time.

and back to the original poster(if this is real). your an idiot. [/quote]

I’m one of those everything to gain and nothing to lose types… I got in 9 fights this season. Won every single one of them… punched and been punched… and I’ll tell you one thing… I’d never start a fight club for the hell of it. Your face heals up pretty quick but my hand still hurts and I haven’t been in a hockey fight in over a month. Plus I consider myself lucky that I still have all my teeth.

wow. I thought T-Nation had better to offer than this. [i thought] people on here tried to help each other out with their questions. I know this is a stupid thing to do. My guess is that it might not even ever get of the ground, i just wanted to be ready if it does. I dont understand why some of you had to post stupid crap here? if you wanted to say, “this is probably not a good idea” that would be one thing but if you arent going to give any good advice, and all you want to do is try to talk shit to me cuz you have nothing better to do, why even post at all? That just seems like a waste of time to me…

T-Nation seems to be getting worse and worse. i think im just going to delete my account on here or what ever. I’ll just train and shit on my own time. If you guys dont want to help out, then ill do it myself i dont really care, just please dont waste your time and mine with meaningless posts.

From now on if you dont have any constructive advice for me, please just dont waste your time and mine. just dont post anything.