Drinking and Age

I gave up the binge drinking. I can turn into an @sshole pretty fast when I drink too much.
A couple of beers on the weekend and I’m fine. It’s good to wakeup amd feel like a million bucks instead of feeling like sh!t.
LOL

Yeah, i honestly don’t want to ever wake up with that feeling of depression and despair. Lying around on the sofa the entire next day watching the lifetime channel, eating pizza and drinking soda like some estrogen engourged bitch. Not a good feeling.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
According to the posts so far, I must be a lush. I’m not a big drinker, but I do enjoy a beer or two during the week and a few on the weekends I’m off. I never feel the effects the day after, unless I drank WAY too much. I would probably drink more, but I don’t need the extra calories, even though they taste so good. With that being said, I’m sorry most of you can’t enjoy beer the way you used to.[/quote]

You’ll find a few people on this site that think drinking is a sin and will preach to you how they follow they T-Nation Ten Commandments and how they NEVER do the wrong thing. That’s all bull shit. I think it’s great for people who don’t drink. Some people enjoy it during sporting events, etc. Some people abuse it and it becomes a problem. I don’t feel it unless I go over board. Your body will respond more positively if it’s in better condition. If it’s taking you a week to recover, your body needs to build a healthy tolerance before you should continue to drink. All within reason. That’s the key.

I’m now in the 4th decade of life and I haven’t touched alcohol in 6 almost 7 years because a variety of personal reasons, one of which was that drinking was kicking my ass. I was not recovering well at all from a night out and I decided that it just wasn’t worth it.

I’m a 37-year-old lifter, just as dedicated to working out as most people here. I am also a wine connoisseur, and have no intention of giving it up. Two or three glasses of wine at dinner are never a problem as far as working out.
I think part of the difference in our experiences might be that we have different ideas of “drinking.” If your idea of drinking is downing 10 beers, then yes indeed you will have a problem. Drinking is not an either/or thing, where either you’re a lush or a teetotaler. Learn to drink moderately and make it a part of your regular life, and forget about binge drinking. Moderate alcohol consumption is good for you anyway, ESPECIALLY as you get older and are at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Learn to appreciate good wine, and leave the binge drinking to 18 year old school boys.

I’m not as old as all of you bastards, but I have noticed that I am more susceptible to hangovers now than a couple of years ago. I absolutely can’t move after a night of heavy drinking, it has resulted in a cutback of alcohol consumption which is a good thing though.

Being fairly old (for this thread) (40yrs) I?ll just comment, that drinking 2-3 beers on working days and maybe a bit more on off days, is not and has never been a problem for me.

The problem arises if and when I get drunk, somthing that will take normally 2 days out of my workout schedule, so I tend to stay on the semi-sober side.

The inability to cope w. alcohol poisoning started around 30.

Yours truly

The same thing started with me around 30. I was pretty much a weekend drinker, but prone to drink quite a bit when I did. Now I will pay for it the whole next day (or longer), so I just don’t do it much at all.

These days the amount of sleep I get seems to have more effect than anything. I could drink quite a lot and as long as I stopped before 7 P.M. and went on to bed, I’d feel fine the next day. If I drank until 9 pm, then stopped and went to bed, I’d barely be able to function the next day. I can tolerate a couple of beers, but I can still feel them if I have them late at night.

I’ve found that it just makes me feel too bad to be worth it, not only physically, but mentally. It kills my lifting for day or two and I just don’t feel mentally sharp for few days either.

I use to drink when I was younger. Now that I’m a little older I don’t touch it anymore. Alcohol never really did much for me anyway.

As was stated earlier, it’s quality now versus quantity. I still enjoy a midweek drink and maybe a couple out on the weekends. A glass of wine with dinner at night has proven to have many health benefits. Alcohol is not the “demon” people make it out to be. It can be enjoyed and it can actually reduce your blood pressure after a tough day at work. Just need to keep consumption in persepective.

JD

[quote]felix wrote:
Moderate alcohol consumption is good for you anyway, ESPECIALLY as you get older and are at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Learn to appreciate good wine, and leave the binge drinking to 18 year old school boys.[/quote]

Actually, the positive effects of wine are also found in simple grape juice. The grape seed is the key, NOT the alcohol.

Alcohol is turned into a series of different poisons until it is finally removed by the liver or stored in fat cells (kinda’ like the body putting the stuff it can’t deal with in storage / a ‘fat land fill’ - to be addressed / cleaned up / purged at a date TBD).

I do agree with the latter statement though, about the binge drinking; just say no.

MIKE

I have never been a person that liked to drink a couple of beers a night. In fact, if I drink more than 2 beers - I get a horrible headache.

But I do drink bourbon. I have found that since i have gone to bourbon and water - I have no hangover to speak of. I don’t drink during the week. I don’t drink every weekend. I usually drink once a month, and it is what you would condider a binge. I drink to get as drunk as I can. Why? Because I can.

Oh - I feel tired as shit, but that’s because I stay up till 4 or 5 in the morning. Not because of the alcohol.

I know this really isnt the thread for a 17 year old like me…but eh.
After I started working out I drank/etc. two times. The days after were complete fucking HELL in the gym. I never felt so bad/disgusted with myself/over heated than when I have a hangover of the sort.

After those experiences I too felt it was not worth it to be drinking. If my body/mind feels so bad the day after and prevents me from getting a decent workout…well FUCK that!

I was ok with drinking until I hit 35,I got hangovers but only when I overdid it.Since 35 any amount gives me a hangover.

But wait…drinking cider vinegar,1/4 pint in water before you start drinking has a very positive effect on hangovers,ameliorating them significantly in my experience.Dr JB mentioned vinegar a while ago and then never followed up.I don’t know the reason why but it seems to work for me.

[quote]great421 wrote:
felix wrote:
Moderate alcohol consumption is good for you anyway, ESPECIALLY as you get older and are at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Learn to appreciate good wine, and leave the binge drinking to 18 year old school boys.

Actually, the positive effects of wine are also found in simple grape juice. The grape seed is the key, NOT the alcohol.

Alcohol is turned into a series of different poisons until it is finally removed by the liver or stored in fat cells (kinda’ like the body putting the stuff it can’t deal with in storage / a ‘fat land fill’ - to be addressed / cleaned up / purged at a date TBD).

I do agree with the latter statement though, about the binge drinking; just say no.

MIKE

[/quote]

This is just plain wrong.Very little alcohol is stored as fat(about 5%)the rest is burned as energy.The problem is as your body is burning the alcohol its not burning any fat which is shit for your liver and BF%!