The 1-6 Training System, Perfected

by Christian Thibaudeau

Build Size and Strength at the Same Time

Dietmar invented it. Dragomir put it to work. Poliquin popularized it. And now Thibaudeau has perfected it.

If you value strength and size equally, you need to put the 1-6 training principle to work. The original system is proven, and the variations I’ll outline below are even more effective. Let’s jump right into it.

The Original 1-6

T Nation was the first major outlet to write about the system. Back in 1999, Charles Poliquin brought it to the masses with this article.

Essentially, the system alternates a very heavy set and a moderate-weight set for the same lift. You do a set of 1 rep, rest, then a set of 6 reps. This pairing was sometimes called a “wave.” There are two to three waves per exercise. The goal was to add weight to the set of 6 reps with each new set.

It could look like this below. Note: I’m only giving percentages so you understand the loading and progression. In reality, you’re not really using percentages.

Set 1: 1 rep at 90%
Set 2: 6 reps at 82.5%

Set 3: 1 rep at 92.5%
Set 4: 6 reps at 85%

Set 5: 1 rep at 95%
Set 6: 6 reps at 87.5%

At the next workout, you’d progress by starting your first wave with the weights you used for your second wave during the previous workout.

Poliquin originally used his traditional A1/A2 setup, meaning you’d combine two exercises. For example:

Exercise Sets Reps Rest
A1. EZ-Bar Scott Curl 6 1,6,1,6,1,6 2 min.
A2. Close-Grip Bench Press 6 1,6,1,6,1,6 2 min.

It looked like this:

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 1
Rest 2 minutes

Close-Grip Bench Press x 1
Rest 2 minutes

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 6
Rest 2 minutes

Close-Grip Bench Press x 6
Rest 2 minutes

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 1
Rest 2 minutes

Rest 2 minutes

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 6
Rest 2 minutes

Rest 2 minutes

Each workout had four exercises (A1/A2 pairing and B1/B2 pairing) using the 1-6 system.

Maximum Potentiation 1-6

This is my first adaptation. I made two main modifications.

Exercise Sets Reps
A1. EZ-Bar Scott Curl 6 1,6,1,6,1,6
A2. Close-Grip Bench Press 6 1,6,1,6,1,6

First, I do the 1-rep and 6-rep sets together for the same exercise. For example:

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 1
Rest 90 seconds
EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 6
Rest 2 minutes

Rest 90 seconds
Rest 2 minutes

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 1
Rest 90 seconds
EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 6
Rest 2 minutes

Rest 90 seconds
Rest 2 minutes

EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 1
Rest 90 seconds
EZ-Bar Scott Curl x 6
Rest 2 minutes

Rest 90 seconds
Rest 2 minutes

This makes more sense. The purpose of the 1-rep set is to make the set of 6 reps more effective via a phenomenon called “post-tetanic potentiation” (basically, increasing neurological activation). Doing another exercise between the potentiation set and the work set takes away some of the effectiveness.

Second, the weight for the 1-rep sets doesn’t change. The work sets, those that count, are the sets of 6 reps. The 1-rep sets are just there to increase neurological activation and give you a psychological edge for the following set of 6. There’s no need to keep increasing the load for the set of 1. You just need it to be heavy enough so that the set of 6 feels lighter by contrast, and to increase neurological activation.

We also want to reduce fatigue. About 90 or 92% for 1 rep is very manageable. But getting in the 95 to 97.5 range can be excessive on some days and hurt, rather than help, the performance for the set of 6.

So, the set progression becomes:

Set 1: 1 rep at 90-92%
Set 2: 6 reps at 82.5%

Set 3: 1 rep at 90-92.5%
Set 4: 6 reps at 85%

Set 5: 1 rep at 90-92%
Set 6: 6 reps at 87.5%

Again, the percentages are just for illustration purposes.

The 1-6 Drop Set

This consists of doing both the “1 rep” and the “6 reps” as one set – a drop set. Start with a challenging but comfortable load for 1 rep (90-92%). Perform your rep, then drop the weight by 7-10% and immediately do 6 reps. You do three such work sets with about three minutes of rest.

I really like this one, but for it to work optimally, use it on exercises where you aren’t required to make an effort to get into the starting position. For example, it won’t work great for squats, front squats, incline bench press, and the various dumbbell presses. On these exercises (and even on the flat bench), unracking the bar, getting it into the proper starting position with good body tension, and racking or lowering the weights at the end of the “1 rep” part of the set takes away from the “6 reps” part of the set.

Other than that, this is a great way to build strength and size in a short time period.

The 1-6 Cluster

This one might be the ultimate loading scheme for strength. It combines the 1-6 strategy with cluster sets. You keep doing your 1-rep sets as potentiation prior to the sets of 6. The difference is that the sets of 6 are performed as a cluster. This allows you to use heavier weights than you would for a normal set of 6.

The same caveat regarding exercise selection applies: exercises where you have to make an effort to unrack the weight and/or bring it into the starting position aren’t good choices. That is even more true because, with clusters, you’ll have to get into the starting position seven times.

The sets of 6 use a load that you’d normally use for 3 solid reps. You perform 6 reps with that weight by resting 30-45 seconds between reps.

A set of 6 might look like this:

1 rep at 87.5%, rest 30 seconds
1 rep at 87.5%, rest 40 seconds
1 rep at 87.5%, rest 40 seconds
1 rep at 87.5%

The whole thing looks like this:

Set 1: 1 rep at 92.5 to 95%
Rest 2-3 minutes

Set 2: 6 cluster reps at 85%
Rest 2-3 minutes

Set 3: 1 rep at 92.5% to 95%
Rest 2-3 minutes

Set 4: 6 cluster reps at 87.5%
Rest 2-3 minutes

Set 5: 1 rep at 92.5 to 95%
Rest 2-3 minutes

Set 6: 6 cluster reps at 90%

Remember, the percentages aren’t precise guidelines, just illustrative.

The 1-6 Stato-Dynamic

In this variation, your sets of 6 are your normal sets of 6, but the sets of 1 are replaced by a set of overcoming isometrics.

In an overcoming isometric, you’re pushing or pulling against an immovable resistance. For example, get into a bench press position in the power rack and press the empty bar as hard as possible against safety pins for 3-6 seconds. Ideally, the overcoming isometric exercise would be for the same movement as the one you’re using for the sets of 6. For example:

• Bench Press Overcoming Isometric + Bench Press
  • Squat Overcoming Isometric + Squat
  • Rack-Pull Overcoming Isometric + Deadlift

In reality, it works as long as both exercises are for the same movement pattern. For example, a bench press overcoming isometric paired with a dumbbell bench press also works.

Because overcoming isometrics are less draining than a full-range heavy set of 1, the rest between the set of 1 and the set of 6 is shorter, around 60-90 seconds.

It looks like this:

Bench Press Overcoming Isometric x 3-6 seconds
Rest 60-90 seconds

Bench Press 82.5% x 6 reps
Rest 2-3 minutes

Rest 60-90 seconds

Bench Press 85% x 6 reps
Rest 2-3 minutes

Rest 60-90 seconds

Bench Press 87.5% x 6 reps

Just like our first variation, if you’re using an A1/A2 setup, perform both the set of overcoming isos and the set of 6 for A1 before moving on to A2. For most exercises, I recommend performing the overcoming isometrics either at the mid-range or at the sticking point.

How It All Works

There are three main benefits from the 1-6 variations:

1. Post-Tetanic Potentiation: The heavy 1-rep sets increase neurological activation, which increases the capacity of the nervous system to recruit fast-twitch fibers. This makes the sets of 6 more effective at stimulating both growth and strength gains.

2. Dual Stimulation: The 1-rep sets provide a very strong neurological stimulus, while the sets of 6 provide enough hard work to get maximal hypertrophy stimulation (5-6 effective reps in the set). As such, the 1-6 approach gives you the best of both worlds and represents an extremely powerful strength gain stimulus (strength being dependent on both muscle mass and neurological efficiency).

3. Psychological Boost: By doing a heavy set prior to the work sets of 6, those work sets feel lighter. That carries over to a better performance.

Key Element: The important sets are the sets of 6 reps. These are the “work sets” you want to push hard. The sets of 1 are there mostly to make the sets of 6 more effective. You don’t need to push them as hard as the work sets, just enough to get the neurological benefits, which aren’t dependent on proximity to failure.

Fun and Effective!

The 1-6 strategies are not only very effective, but they’re also fun to do! For some reason – maybe my need for variety – doing the same number of reps with a similar load set after set is boring to me. With the 1-6 strategies, each set has a different feel than the preceding one. And the neurological effect also amps you up, which makes you feel strong, powerful, and in the zone.

MD-Buy-on-Amazon

3 Likes

Great article. I see that rest pause wasnt mentioned, do you think there would be some draw backs compared to the options you mentioned or are the other options just better?

To be fair a rest pause that gives you 6 total reps (e.g. 3+2+1) would work just as well as clusters and provide very similar benefits.

The rest/pause might even be superior to clusters on movements in which getting in the starting position takes energy (e.g. squat, bench press)

4 Likes

Great article @Christian_Thibaudeau!

In what intervals over time do you recommend cycling these strategies? Or - are they just temporary plateau breakers? I would assume at least 3 weeks on each version. Especially fond of your variation on the original and the clusters.

Can the 1-6 strategy be combined with plyometrics? If so - When to apply it?

Neurologically-dominant methods typically work best over a 3-4 weeks period. After that, gains from that specific method slow down dramatically

1 Like

Well, not as a method itself. But you can do plyos in the same workout or block as 1-6 work, just like you can combine plyos and other forms of heavy lifting.

In that case, I like to start the workout (after proper warm-up, of course) with the plyo. Both because it’s better to do power work with a fresher nervous system and also because it will act as a potentiation for the strength portion of the workout.

When I trained for weightlifting (olympic lifting), Pierre Roy had us start every session with jumps.

1 Like

Thanks again @Christian_Thibaudeau! Having tried it - I am very pleased to report it worked wonders! Probably the most rewarding workouts for some months (and it was fun managing weights with ease while progressing)!

I understand the 1-6 method provides a rather drastic progression, as described in an older corresponding thread, where you gave details on weight selection.

So, what is a wise direction/progression after 4 weeks of the 1-6 method (when gains have stalled)? Is it possible to powerbuild further? Is french contrast training an alternative, or will this fry the nervous system?

Ok, you won’t really “fry the nervous system”… I mean, we, as humans would have survived if it took so little!

The reason why you can’t stick with a certain neurologically-focused method for long is not because it will burn you down, but because rapid neurological adaptations to a method last 3-4 weeks.

You could keep doing 1-6 for longer, but it would become gradually less effective.

You might switch to something like clusters (my favorite option to follow 1-6) or something like 6-4-2 waves.

2 Likes

Does any of your books cover the above discussion? As it happens, I like to read (about training) to understand even more. Your writing style is comprehensive thus rewarding. @Christian_Thibaudeau

Great article again Christian! I remember years ago, trying out the 1/6 Contrast with Bench, and I’ve NEVER had such incredible gains as I did using that method. I went from around 225 for 5 reps to 275-280 in just a few months! It was scary how much weight I was adding with ease each week. I had to buy some EliteFTS wrist straps to case my wrist the weight was getting so heavy, haha.

I love all these “intensification” methods you make us aware of! 8/6/4 waves, 7/5/3, 3/2/1, Clusters, 1/6, 5/4/3/2/1, etc etc. But one question I’ve always had, that I can’t seem to find an answer to is: do you only use these “intensification” methods on one main lift? Or do you use them for all lifts? Or is it only used in the “Intensification” mesocycle?

For example, I have recently got back to the gym, after a long lay off. I’ve read and re-read almost every article you have written. And with that, I have created my own Programs I can run for the next few months or years or longer. I have created 4 week Mesocycle programs for myself using your Strength, Strength+Size Hybrid, Accumulation size I, Accumulation/Intensification Size II and Max Effort ideas you brought up in your illuminating Video “Is training for Size the same as training for strength.” I can run any of these mesocycles I want for the next few months or years or ever with the tools and info you have so kindly provided us.

But again, I have never seen the answer of how many lifts do you use these “intensification” methods with? I have seen here and other articles you have written, that you should usually only use these methods for aprox 3-4 weeks, and then they start to lose their effectiveness as the body adapts. But how many lifts do you use them with? One main lift? Some lifts? All lifts? And do you ONLY use them during an Intensification Accumulation mesocycle? Or can you use them in other Mesocycles? Thanks

Typically, I only use them on the “big lifts”. But there is nothing “illegal” about doing them on minor movements.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Thanks Christian. Again, can’t thank you enough for all of your content you share. It’s absolutely amazing and I appreciate it greatly. Best

Alike @SuperWookie I have early recognized a rapid increase of load using the 1-6 method! I intend to progress and adjust by feel according to the weight used on the 2nd set of 6 reps (for a 1st set on the next session). Also, I will be passing my previous known 1RM shortly!

An amazing method! Thanks again @Christian_Thibaudeau!

Is there anything to worry about considering such rapid progress? I believe there is a risk of reps becoming sloppy, but force myself to keep a slower negative though slightly explosive positives.

Can you follow regular 1-6 with 1-6 clusters on the same compound lifts? As I can recall compound excercises are secondary to “rackable” weights for clusters. So how do a powerbuilder perform clusters? Or is there a way of still doing the big three lifts - longer rest in between the clusters?

Actually, I think you mentioned a professional lifter who you trained, in another thread (can’t seem to find it) - that performed a 1-6 compound cluster! I think it had a different meaning though (something about breaking a 1RM on a good day through 1-6 clusters…)

I can for example hypothesize about belt squats, leg press or the smith machine instead of squats - but have a hard time leaving the compound lifts behind (as I am getting proper time under the bar for better technique development).

Any input much appreciated!

The principles informing Thib’s modifications remind me of the ones employed in his classic layers system. I ran that for a solid six months back in college and saw fantastic progress, especially on presses. I loved doing the high pulls as well.

I’m in the midst of a linearly periodized block, and I’m considering running 3 weeks of the 1/6 clusters afterwards to peak out my progress. Highly tempting.