Teardrop Training

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
since i’ve been venturing back into more bodybuilding stuff, i’ve been doing a ciruit of leg extensions- toes pointed out, with a very strong contraction at the top. then i do either walking lunges or front squats ATG pausing in the bottom. after only a couple weeks i have a much more development around the knee. since i started powerlifting, i hadn’t done much of anything other than squat variations. as a result, i had huge upper thighs that got smaller as they reached the knee. i’m working on changing that now. [/quote]

how many supersets of these do you do?

Edit: BTW, nice thread Chi-Towns-Finest. I remember when some time ago you made a thread about doing a show; even though the best thing would’ve been to wait, I think you did a good job and you’re on your way of accomplishing bigger challenges.

Front squats are definately the way to go to bring up your overall quadricep development. I’ve been a huge advocate of back squats for as long as I’ve been lifting, but just recently I’ve found that front squatting is key to keeping your quads up to speed with your hamstrings. I started doing them before my back squats and my quad size has come up drastically.

Pair front squats with some leg press and DB/BB lunges and you’re quads will swell up in no time.

Gremster

I’ve been focusing on close stance front squats lately and in only a couple of months the difference has been surprising.

Going ATG in squats did this for me. It was noticeable in a few weeks, too. I think people usually (kinda have to) go ATG while doing front squats so that’s probably why it’s recommended. I personally think back squats will do the same as long as you go ATG. Also, whatever foot/leg stance that allows you to go deepest is the one you should use.

Giving examples from olympic lifters (or gymnasts/swimmers/runners etc.) is something I don’t really like but you’ll see a common trend of well developed VMs in most olympic lifters.

Leg extensions would also be a good addition. I personally can’t/wouldn’t recommend single leg work but I guess everybody is different.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
since i’ve been venturing back into more bodybuilding stuff, i’ve been doing a ciruit of leg extensions- toes pointed out, with a very strong contraction at the top. then i do either walking lunges or front squats ATG pausing in the bottom. after only a couple weeks i have a much more development around the knee. since i started powerlifting, i hadn’t done much of anything other than squat variations. as a result, i had huge upper thighs that got smaller as they reached the knee. i’m working on changing that now. [/quote]

Being 5’7", back squats give me turnip shaped legs. I have tried different movements and have found that split squats hit my VM more than any other part of my leg.

[quote] Brook wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
I gotta disagree. A close stance during squats will target the lateralus. I’ve been doing it myself the last few months the difference in my outer sweep is surprisingly quite noticeable. In fact, I’m sure that the prominence of my medialus is because of my wider, toes pointed outward stance for so many years.

S

x2.

In kinesiology (or kinesiologically, if that is a word) the muscle is activated the most in the last few degrees of extension, so training the leg extension with a static hold is effective.
Turning the feet outwards places more of the load on that muscle too - so should be done.

However my largest gains in the area (i am one of those who has little muscualrity around the patella and always will) came from going deep in squats. I suspect it is the stretch the muscle gets at the bottom of the move that seems to do the trick (it most certainly is not the load at the top of the movement - and heavy statics in the squat won’t do jack).

A point of mild interest may be that the muscle seems to atrophy faster than the Vastus Lateralis (and maybe the other quadruceps muscles). The significance is primarily in sports injury applications, but it may be useful to consider as it may be that for extra growth in the area a higher frequency may be useful…

Now this atrophy was not explained to me, but i assume it is merely down to little involvement of the muscle in everyday life (to the degree specific exercise will recreate) which means it will not stay unnecessarily big for long.

However, the more frequent training will only serve to be a positive and not a negative so i suggested it regardless.[/quote]

Completely agree , i have had similar experience…that last stretch shortening response does the trick, even the atrophy reason seems reasonable as we hardly use this SSC in day to day activities, but if practiced it goes a long way to keep the patella and hence the knee healthy .Hack squat , CT s frog squat and weighted hindu squats will all do the trick.

Thank you for all the feedback!

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
since i’ve been venturing back into more bodybuilding stuff, i’ve been doing a ciruit of leg extensions- toes pointed out, with a very strong contraction at the top. then i do either walking lunges or front squats ATG pausing in the bottom. after only a couple weeks i have a much more development around the knee. since i started powerlifting, i hadn’t done much of anything other than squat variations. as a result, i had huge upper thighs that got smaller as they reached the knee. i’m working on changing that now.

Edit: BTW, nice thread Chi-Towns-Finest. I remember when some time ago you made a thread about doing a show; even though the best thing would’ve been to wait, I think you did a good job and you’re on your way of accomplishing bigger challenges.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad I made the decision to get on stage in May – it’s had a positive carryover to my approach in life, and has certainly changed my attitude for the better. I will be competing again in November of 2010, Mid States in IL.

If I can get some more meat on my quads and calves I should be able to dominate the novice category and be competitive in the open.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I’ve been focusing on close stance front squats lately and in only a couple of months the difference has been surprising.[/quote]

I can see that, very impressive set of wheels Deb!

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
since i’ve been venturing back into more bodybuilding stuff, i’ve been doing a ciruit of leg extensions- toes pointed out, with a very strong contraction at the top. then i do either walking lunges or front squats ATG pausing in the bottom. after only a couple weeks i have a much more development around the knee. since i started powerlifting, i hadn’t done much of anything other than squat variations. as a result, i had huge upper thighs that got smaller as they reached the knee. i’m working on changing that now.

i usually do 5 sets of this circuit, unless it was a really heavy day on my primary lift. in that case, i would do three sets but with a higher rep range.

Edit: BTW, nice thread Chi-Towns-Finest. I remember when some time ago you made a thread about doing a show; even though the best thing would’ve been to wait, I think you did a good job and you’re on your way of accomplishing bigger challenges.[/quote]

I tired this the other day and it shocked my legs. Im optimistic it will work, and I will see decent results over the next few weeks or months.

Hack squats, the barbell kind…

[quote]plateau wrote:
Single leg work like split squats, bulgarians and lunges[/quote]

x2