Squatting With Rubber Bands?

I’ve been squatting alot, I’m very impressed by the method I use.

As I’ve gone in a matter of months from not being able to do a squat right (nearly curshing myself in front of a group of powerlifters like a fool), and now I can do 500 lbs twice (this is what I did at the end of my last workout)

I’m not bragging, I’ve just put alot of effort into it and want to share (I realize 500, isn’t an impressive squat, but it’s good for me.)

Anyways, I wanted to ask about using bands on a squat rack.

I do regular sets with hi volume on a moderate or light weight, like 10-20 reps usually.

As I’ve been working up to heavier weights, I’ve gotten used to training heavy weight with rubber bands.

I set a noose, on both sides of the rack and roll them around the bars. I don’t know what the resistance on the band is but I’ve seen one of them rip before, they are green, and about an two inches wide.

I think my method is really working for me, I tire myself out on a regular routine and then work up in higher weight with the rubber band.

What do the bands offer?

They seem to grease the groove on my form, the resistance is insubstantial as to have it actually (pulling up the bar; in fact if you let the bar go, the bands would snap) but when I break parralel, I feel like someone is spotting me and guiding me through the motion to completion.

I don’t know why this is, is this all mental or do the bands really help you posture and balance through the squat?

I didn’t think about the method much, until some people at my gym started asking me about it (some talking shit, and others praising the idea.)

I’ve heard people say I’m using a crutch (some of them, wear squat suits themselves, which is ironic) and others say it is a really great idea, especially since I’ve come such a long way in a short time.

What do you guys think about squatting with rubber bands?

What are your goals?

I think bands and chains are a great tool. But It seems that you are using them and not really knowing what they are really good for. With chains and bands as you go down the weight decreases but on your way up it increases. This helps when you are doing a 1rm or what ever “explode” on the way up and get through any sticking pints. Youll see a loot of college and pro athletes use them as did I in high school.

Edit: It almost sounds like you are using them in reverse and that they are pulling up on the bar and not down. If that is the case I would say yes it is a crutch. How ever insubstanal it may be they are still pulling up on the bar and if they are you arent doing what on the bar. As I see if you were doing a 1rm and some puts so much as a finger on the bar it does not count

500 lbs for a double isnt an impressive squat? Did you maybe hit the wrong number key?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
500 lbs for a double isnt an impressive squat? Did you maybe hit the wrong number key?[/quote]

lol ya I would say 500lb is very impressive

would that be shit, suck, good, or great?

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
500 lbs for a double isnt an impressive squat? Did you maybe hit the wrong number key?

lol ya I would say 500lb is very impressive[/quote]

It is regardless of the situation, but maybe not quite as much so with the bands actually aiding him.

Either way, like someone said earlier, I’d look into getting the band thing right. They should make it a lot HARDER and put resistance against your squat when you’re coming up from the hole.

At the gym I go to, 500 lbs is the gate keeper most guys in there do 700+ at least.

Get really strong. Maybe a little stronger than that.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

At the gym I go to, 500 lbs is the gate keeper most guys in there do 700+ at least.[/quote]

What fuckn gym you go to ? I want to go! Only time I see some one in the squat rack at my gym is to do GD curls. Been at my gym almost a year and can count on one hand(excluding me and the ppl that go with me) the number of ppl the I have seen doing squats

http://www.samson-power.com/eagle_gym_strongman_2.htm

Eagle’s Gym in Saint Louis

It’s one of the last hardcore gyms in the country.

It’s all strongmen, cops, powerlifters and wannabes up there.

A quarter of the gym is just squat racks, the place is great and only cost 20 bux a month no sign up fees or obligation.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
It almost sounds like you are using them in reverse and that they are pulling up on the bar and not down. If that is the case I would say yes it is a crutch.[/quote]

Not necessarily. It still has the same effect of accommodating resistance minus the overspeed eccentric. Squatting a 700 lb bar with 500 lbs resistance at the bottom (stretched bands exerting 200 lbs) and 700 resistance at the top (relaxed bands) is harder than squatting just a 500 lb bar. By all means, when you use the bands, you should make the workout harder, not easier. If you use them in reverse, load the bar with heavy ass weight.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Guerrero wrote:

At the gym I go to, 500 lbs is the gate keeper most guys in there do 700+ at least.

What fuckn gym you go to ? I want to go! Only time I see some one in the squat rack at my gym is to do GD curls. Been at my gym almost a year and can count on one hand(excluding me and the ppl that go with me) the number of ppl the I have seen doing squats[/quote]

I want to go as well. It would be a nice atmosphere to train extra hard.