MR's Prime Time Fun House!

WOW!

The mods are on it tonight folks. I posted an answer and I SWEAR it was up in 1 minute!

Keep up the great work!

Stay strong
MR

So I finally got to talk to the man today (aka, Dave BARR), and the guy is way too serious. I thought I was going to talk to some jokester, but this guy is like a stone wall. So much for having a good time at the SWIS conference! LOL!

Big Dave, I keed…I keed!

Toronto here I come!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
WOW!

The mods are on it tonight folks. I posted an answer and I SWEAR it was up in 1 minute!

Keep up the great work!

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Yeah, but what does it say about YOU if they have to screen YOUR posts. BTW, them reverse lunges and me are quite fond of one another.

Bastard

WOW!

Keep up the great work!

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Thanks for the props Mike!

I’m a loose cannon bro; they better screen my posts!

Yeah, I did some BB reverse lunges on Tuesday and my legs are still fried! I think I hit every muscle fiber in my upper thigh and hips that day. Woo-hoo!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:

Yeah, but what does it say about YOU if they have to screen YOUR posts. BTW, them reverse lunges and me are quite fond of one another.

Bastard
[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Last week I asked you about how frequently I should do unilateral leg exercises and other prehab stuff such as rotator cuffs. If I was training in the lower rep range for max strength goals, inlcuding a lot of the O-lifts, what sort of reps would you recommend for these types of exercises? Should it be higher e.g. 10-15 to allow the connective tissues a chance to catch up with the muscles as a restorative measure or should it mimic what is being done with the main exercises?

How do you go about implementing them in your own programs, especially when focusing on strength?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Coach,

Bar placement for squats:
For Olympic squats,why does the bar need to be placed higher than for powerlift parallel squats? You mentioned everyone is different so I gather people choose a bar placement which is most comfortable whether high or low?
A woman trainer writes about being carful to not place the bar on the protuding bony structure of the neck. Can you explain?

Thanks for your advice.

BG,

If you’ve periodized your programs appropriately throughout, I would actually use lower reps on the assistance exercises as well. I get a lot of strength benefit from lower reps/set in the unilateral exercises.

As well, with external rotations and such, you still need to mix periods of higher rep training with that of low rep training. This would be an ideal time to get a little stronger on these lifts and keep your body healthy in the process. I went over some of this in my “Shoulder the Load” article; I’m sure I’ll catch hell for preaching lower reps per set on external rotation exercises, but oh well!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Last week I asked you about how frequently I should do unilateral leg exercises and other prehab stuff such as rotator cuffs. If I was training in the lower rep range for max strength goals, inlcuding a lot of the O-lifts, what sort of reps would you recommend for these types of exercises? Should it be higher e.g. 10-15 to allow the connective tissues a chance to catch up with the muscles as a restorative measure or should it mimic what is being done with the main exercises?

How do you go about implementing them in your own programs, especially when focusing on strength?

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

I’m a loose cannon bro; they better screen my posts![/quote]

“say hello … to my little friend” kind of loose cannon or … oh, n/m, that’s Shugart that lives in Texas.

yeah, the hips thing. those regular lunges just want to make me fall over. but these reverse things are just some kind of wonderful. thanks for “introducing” us.

Bastard

Golds,

O-lifters want to maintain a more upright posture. By moving the bar up on the traps, they can decrease the amount of forward lean in the torso.

A lot of where you place the bar is dependent upon your goals; powerlifters want to move max weight, so they place the bar lower (moving the bar closer to the hips). However, I think both groups would benefit from some crossover style training (e.g. O-lifters squatting like powerlifters at certain times, and vice versa).

I believe the trainer is talking about putting the bar on the neck; I believe you can actually fracture the cervical vertebrae. Obviously, this is not a good thing.

Great questions!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]gold’s wrote:
Hi Coach,

Bar placement for squats:
For Olympic squats,why does the bar need to be placed higher than for powerlift parallel squats? You mentioned everyone is different so I gather people choose a bar placement which is most comfortable whether high or low?
A woman trainer writes about being carful to not place the bar on the protuding bony structure of the neck. Can you explain?

Thanks for your advice.[/quote]

Hey Mike – Are you going to be at Bench Nationals?

Malinda

Coach -

Thank for for your replies and tolerating my fuzzy picture… I have one more question. I just got done with my ME bench workout about an hour ago. I was doing three board press… and I went like shit. See, on my last DE bench workout on sunday, after doing the 8x3 I did dead-stop lockouts from the rack to train the lockout of course. The ROM, and this is an estimation, was about 4-5 inches. I did 6x5 @ 275. Ok, fastforward to today, and I am working up on the 3 board. I do 225x5 and then put 275 on. I miss. I re-rack, wait 5 mins, and miss again. I do not understand this. I know that there is more ROM on the 3 board, but I am pissed as hell. Is this because am weak in the lats and cannot support the wait, or is it because I am just a weak bitch or what? Thanks for the help.

Malinda,

I’d love to go, but I don’t think it’s in the cards this year. Between the move, the job, and everything else I have going on, I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Will you be attending? Lifting?

Stay strong
MR

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Hey Mike – Are you going to be at Bench Nationals?

Malinda[/quote]

Is the ROM the same on the lockouts as it is on the 3-Board? I would imagine you have to move the bar a lot farther on the latter, which could cause you missing. As well, this could just be right at your sticking point, which would make it hard to generate a lot of force and get the bar moving. Finally, you could just need a ton of upper back work to improve your stability.

I would guess one of these (or all of them) are probably ringing a bell for you right now. Figure out the problem(s), then create a training program with the solution. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]The Gazelle wrote:
Coach -

Thank for for your replies and tolerating my fuzzy picture… I have one more question. I just got done with my ME bench workout about an hour ago. I was doing three board press… and I went like shit. See, on my last DE bench workout on sunday, after doing the 8x3 I did dead-stop lockouts from the rack to train the lockout of course. The ROM, and this is an estimation, was about 4-5 inches. I did 6x5 @ 275. Ok, fastforward to today, and I am working up on the 3 board. I do 225x5 and then put 275 on. I miss. I re-rack, wait 5 mins, and miss again. I do not understand this. I know that there is more ROM on the 3 board, but I am pissed as hell. Is this because am weak in the lats and cannot support the wait, or is it because I am just a weak bitch or what? Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Yep – gonna be there! All I have to do is figure out the dang bench shirt. Seem to be having problems getting is set right.

I am kinda hoping that the competition is low – as Master Worlds is all of two weeks later.

To bad you wont be there – Would have loved to have gotten together.

Malinda

I know the shirt issues; trust me. Before my last meet I trained up until the last week thinking I was going to use something new and nasty, but ended up just using old faithful. Still scored me a 5# PR, though. Regardless, best of luck and let us know how you do!

Ditto on getting together; I think the next big USAPL event I’ll be attending is Men’s in South Beach next year. I need to check out the “scenery!”

Stay strong
MR

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Yep – gonna be there! All I have to do is figure out the dang bench shirt. Seem to be having problems getting is set right.

I am kinda hoping that the competition is low – as Master Worlds is all of two weeks later.

To bad you wont be there – Would have loved to have gotten together.

Malinda[/quote]

All right all, I’m out for the evening. Have a great holiday weekend!

Stay strong
MR

MR,
I was also just reviewing your “Get Your Butt in Gear” series. Do you suggest using the dynamic warm up, motor pattern work and static stretching for all lower body workouts or just until your hips have adaquete flexibility and your glutes are in order. Also do you recommend performing the static stretches immediately following lifting sessions, because Defranco said (I am interested because I have been following this) he doesnt have his athletes stretch immediately following workouts because their muscles are too fired up or something to that effect. Thanks,
TR

SERIOUS?! Are you kidding me? During our phone conversation today, I was wearing a clown suit, complete with squirting flower and joy buzzer!

You obviously can’t appreciate visual humor.

So I finally got to talk to the man today (aka, Dave BARR), and the guy is way too serious. I thought I was going to talk to some jokester, but this guy is like a stone wall. So much for having a good time at the SWIS conference! LOL!

Big Dave, I keed…I keed!

Toronto here I come!

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

im training my grip now with heavy grippers and my left hand is a little weaker than my right is it ok for me to do a couple of more reps on my right hand i know that normally you catch up your weaker hand in most exercises but my support grip for deadlifts both hands are holding up so it is it ok for me to go all out on my stronger hand or should i let my weaker hand catch up which i figue would take about a month? thanks