Just Finished Alsruhe Mass Program, What Next?

Following up here, the machines are shit at my gym, so would it be terrible to do something in lieu of leg press like front squats with a pause, or a slow negative to elicit a pump and force me to go substantially lighter?

1 Like

Pumps feel great but =/= hypertrophy.

1 Like

Check out Fortitude Training. You hit every body part 3-4 times a week and use a progressive volume approach for your training blast. It will really really make good use of your work capacity, especially if you progress up to the Turbo version. The ebook is the best and most informative $20 I’ve ever spent on anything Fitness related. The training is HARD and seems like a natural pivot after the Alsruhe program

3 Likes

Gotta be honest, I read through the book and could only understand maybe 10% of what he was trying to say lol. I’ve read through the whole program outline a few times and still don’t understand remotely how to set up a training cycle. LIke what exactly am I looking at here?

4 Likes

LOL does this come with a translation or a decoder.

1 Like

Once you run it, it’s really not so bad. For instance, on Volume Tier III the legs would be (for example) heavy set of squats for 6-12 reps (1or 2 reps in the tank), Rest 2:00, hit hamstring curls set to failure, rest 2:00 lower the weight on The squat bar to stay within the 6-12 rep range, hit the squat set 6-12 reps with a rep or two in the tank, rest 2:00, hit leg extension set to failure, rest 2:00 and lower the squat weight to stay in the rep range and hit your set. Then you’ll do a stretch for your hamstrings and quads respectively. Then you’ll move on to adductors and then calves. Then you’ll do your pump sets for your upper body (a set of 15-30 or reverse 21s or 5s into the hole) you’ll superset chest and back movements, then hit your stretches for those, then you’ll do the same for shoulders and abs and then biceps and triceps.

On upper loading/Lower Pump days, you just cycle between your back thickness exercise and your back width exercise(bent Over rows and weighted chins in this example) with 1:30 rest in between (adjusting the weight as needed for your second and final set on each exercise). Then you do the same, cycling between chest compound movement and chest isolation (incline press and db Flye in this example) and then ditto for shoulders. Then for the Lower Pump sets, you go with your compound thigh movement pump set, rest 1:00, Hamstring or Quad isolation exercise, rest 1:00, hit calves then repeat that cycle one more time.

Volume Tiers I and II are a bit more traditional in their layout approach, but again, once you’ve run it, it’s pretty simple.

This video is the best explanation on muscle rounds you could possibly get:

And here’s an example of 5s into the hole, which is probably my favorite Pump sets style:

Remember to have an A,B,C rotation for each muscle group for loading sets. Pump sets and muscle round exercises are chosen instinctively through auto regulatory means.

That’s really all there is to know, but please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions! I love this program, I’ve made awesome gains with it and if I can help others do the same, that makes me happy!

3 Likes

Thanks, this was a much better explanation than I could pick up from the book. I think the thing that stands out to me first is that there’s virtually no compound movements for posterior chain. Snatch-grip deadlifts have been a staple for me for awhile, so do you see any issues with using it as one of my primary thigh movements? I’d likely go
A: Front squat
B: Snatch deadlift
C: Zercher squat

And could I use a DB RDL or BB hip thrust as one of my Ham iso movements? I know technically not iso, but I treat them as such since they are so targeted, and I’ve always had a really good MMC with them.

1 Like

You absolutely can! I have Barbell SDLs as one of my hamstring movements on loading days. I also have Barbell hacks as my quad isolation on front squat day. The program is VERY adaptable to your own individual needs/preferences. Also you can use Loading set exercises for muscle rounds if you feel so inclined.

1 Like

Nice. I will run this at some point in the future then. While it’s set up to be focused on muscle building, I could even see adapting this at some point to allow for more met-con again, like subbing in throws, sled pushes, or battle ropes, or olympic lifts in lieu of iso movements between the compound work.

Since I just came off of Alsruhe style with all the giant sets, do you think I could dive into tier 3? Or would you still recommend at least a week at tier 1 and then tier 2 first?

2 Likes

Exactly!

Ha! It’s another good day to add some conditioning, calves, abs, etc.

True, but they’re pretty “friendly” presses. That program uses bench, but it’s later in the rotation and not as heavy. Same with overhead. His later programs don’t even include those lifts.

Not at all, you just wouldn’t want to ramp up heavy sets of 6.

Ha! I’ve also read it twice and it hasn’t clicked.

That was really helpful though

2 Likes

Try Gamma Bomb. (John Meadows) If you want extra leg work and report back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I recommend for your first blast doing week 1 at Tier 1 volume. It gives you room to progress and should also resensitize you to volume then you can escalate Volume as your blast goes on. On subsequent blasts, you can start at tier II if you like since the intensive cruise will act as your resensitzation phase.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll check it out. It’s cool that half the program adds leg focus and the other half upper body.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, @jskrabac, had you said you wanted a paid suggestion, this would have been mine.

2 Likes

Probably also my favorite Mountain Dog program, but High Evolutionary is right up there as well.

Also loved 28 Days Later if you like training every day

1 Like

Yeah, it would be tough for me to ever go back to mountain dog inspired training. I tried it through much of my mid 20s around when I competed and saw very minimal results. I saw some noticeable development in my back, but that’s about it. No growth in chest, delts, or arms and I even believe my legs lost some size :man_shrugging:.

Maybe I’d respond differently 10 years later. I always chalked it up to a style of training I should return to if I ever become assisted or start TRT, but it just felt too low frequency for me while natty.

1 Like

Totally get it. Different strokes and all that. I really like it, and don’t love some of the other more popular programs. Some of that definitely seems to be pretty individual.

3 Likes

Thanks man. I wanted to give a pretty in-depth and exhaustive response so I can reference this later when people have questions. I’ve done a write-up explaining muscle rounds in the past, but if you’re a visual or audio learner, the video I linked gives a better breakdown that should be easier to absorb than my written word.

1 Like

Thank you all @Andrewgen_Receptors @davemccright @kleinhound @TrainForPain @simo74 for all the awesome suggestions! I honestly would’ve never discovered most of these on my own.

I fear it is now I who has become the askhole, because I’ve decided to roll with the CT pendulum spec program that I recommended to myself :upside_down_face:

BUT, I honestly never would’ve discovered it though if your suggestions hadn’t given me a few of the right sparks to explore outside of my comfort zone. For one, I have always been a bit too obsessive about keeping my programs perfectly symmetrical and synergistic (can you see why I gravitate towards Alsruhe’s stuff lol) I mean if I can’t lay out a wave into a perfectly symmetric matrix of undulating intensities, what am I even doing??! So seeing what happens when I shift focus to just 2 muscle groups each week and leaving so much flexibility on movement choices will be a brand new experience for me.

I absolutely intend to follow each program you recommended at some point over the next year or so! They all fit my personality very well. Even Meadows program, I’ll find some way to make it a bit more met-con :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m really excited to see how this goes for you. It looked cool