I want to get bigger

I am confused of the difference between hypertrophy and mass. I have heard that you need to do high intensity workouts to build mass, and volume training for hypertrophy. I am planning on doing the GVT method to get bigger, but I would like to know what the difference is.

I am confused of the difference between hypertrophy and mass.

Mass is a result of “hypertrophied” muscle. Hypertrophy is muscle (mass) growth. Atrophy is the result of Mike Mentzer Training, I mean the “shrinking” muscles.

I have heard that you need to do high intensity workouts to build mass, and volume training for hypertrophy.

###Yes, no and sorta. Basically if you lift a weight you wil gain some mass and some strength. But there are good and bad ways to do everything. High Intensity work does aid in building mass, as does using high volume. To keep from writing a dissertation I suggest you log throught the back issues and read Poliuin’s article on “Maximal Weights” and King’s article on “Intensity versus Volume.”

I am planning on doing the GVT method to get bigger, but I would like to know what the difference is.

Go with the GVT, you’ll get great results. The difference I guess is that while GVT is very demanding, it isn’t intense (read Ian King’s article and you’ll understand why) it is high in volume and this is what stimulates such great gains. After you do 6 workouts of the GVT I would recommend that you use Poliquin’s 1-6 Principle workout for a few weeks or develope a total body program based on his Maximal weights arm workout. Good Luck.

Mass can be made up of anything, fat or muscle…Hypertrophy is referring to an increase in the size of the muscle. So really it’s hypertrophy you want, not just mass.