Biggest Training Mistake You've Made

Training - doing upright rows for nearly a decade until someone discovered they were eeeeeeeeevil.

Overall - not nailing down my diet sooner.

But hey, all things happen for a reason.

Letting a guy who trains bodybuilders try to train me and prescribe my diet. He had no idea how to train a powerlifter.

Being too intimidated to squat in the rack for almost my entire first year of training.

Steady state cardio as a way to lose weight. When I first began trying to shift the fat I had spent some time accumulating through not training, I decided that I could just run it off. I ran around 10k, 7 days a week. My weight dropped down (although a significant amount must have been muscle) and I ended up looking scrawny, and unable to get below 18% body fat.

Gradually, I drifted away from the running and more toward the weights - and no surprise my body composition started changing for the better.

Oh and not deadlifting sooner…

Biggest mistake by far has been not making progress. I do it to myself every summer. I cut for a month or two, realize I don’t have enough muscle mass but at the same time want to get really lean for once, and I end up going nowhere. This past year I knew I should start gaining mass during the summer but I just didn’t eat enough.

Lesson learned? I need to plan.

Being to cocky on the bench trying to negative 400lbs and that son of a bitch dropped right on my chest, so damn lucky it bruised the sternum and nothing else.

Wasting my first two years of training, and thus some of my newbie gains, doing crossfit and chasing abs. Only in the past 6-8 months of figuring out how to do things right have I started to gain noticeable size and strength.

Also, learning that my body will not necessarily respond to a stimulus the way a smart sounding guy with a PhD who wrote an article says it will.

Not eating enough when I was younger / wasting very good years (teens and twenties) because I was too embarassed to go to the gym.

Being inconsistant for 15 years.

Not starting Olympic lifting earlier.

Not eating enough or deadlifting for way too long

Pushing myself to failure of EVERY sets wasn’t bright. I avoid failure like plague now. I do not even want to reach it on the last rep of the last of the big three now, and I cheat reps I know I can’t get in for all the other exercises and focus on squeezing/slow eccentric instead.

Training clean only once a week hold me back for that movement for a pretty long while.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
Pushing myself to failure of EVERY sets wasn’t bright. I avoid failure like plague now. I do not even want to reach it on the last rep of the last of the big three now, and I cheat reps I know I can’t get in for all the other exercises and focus on squeezing/slow eccentric instead.

Training clean only once a week hold me back for that movement for a pretty long while. [/quote]

if you never train to failure at all, how do you stimulate any muscle growth?

i was lifting for a few months, not even in a gym just my friends basement, then doing pushups and shit at home cause his barbell got stolen or sold for crack by his mom. anyway, 300 came out and i was like OMGZORS i want ABS! ! ! i started up the AD (anabolic diet) and was doing circuit based training, HIT cardio and MMA classes like 3 or 4 days of the week all while eating >3000 calories. i went from 170 to like 165. all i lost was muscle and some fat, never got my solid abs.

i got fed up and just started eating one day because i was so fucking hungry and fed up. i ate 5 dozen raw eggs that day, a shitload of cheese, nuts, and coldcuts (i was still on AD so basically only protein+fat meals) i dropped the cardio too and just focused on training. eventually dropped the AD due to boredom.

im so glad i just wen through and stopped all that stupid ass “300 style” training BS and just started taking things more serious.

2nd worst thing was also during my whole “trying new stuff out” phase that we all go through when we get started.

i was basically on here reading all the articles about everything, and trying out all these different exerises, programs etc. it was really just a waste of time and i didnt see any real progress til i hunkered down with a simple training protcol.

im glad i eventually saw through all the bullshit because its tough right now when the training fad is “mixing it up” whereas the training principal which bears most results is KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

Chasing abs. Bulking the wrong way by eating way too much and then trying to cut the fat for twice as long as the bulk. Not working my legs or back for 2 years.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Falling victim to a retarded decision to “cut” from 205 to 175 in a short period of time.

Lost size, strength, and a lot of time.

Gotta think in the long run as opposed to “shit, summer is almost here…and i want abs now!”

That one thing had to happen for me to look at myself and say: “Dam your little and you just had a hard time benching 200lbs. Pussy”

From there on in I’ve only gained weight/strength. [/quote]

Hahah, oh man the first “cut” you do is usually so half assed.

My first cut when I was quite young I went from 205 to 185.

My god it was horrible, I didnt lose that much strength simply because I was young, and kept my protien high.

But I dropped my cals so hard I just sort of crashed, worst experience of my life, I was incredibly depressed the whole time.

Never agian will I cut like that.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
2nd worst thing was also during my whole “trying new stuff out” phase that we all go through when we get started.

i was basically on here reading all the articles about everything, and trying out all these different exerises, programs etc. it was really just a waste of time and i didnt see any real progress til i hunkered down with a simple training protcol.

im glad i eventually saw through all the bullshit because its tough right now when the training fad is “mixing it up” whereas the training principal which bears most results is KISS (keep it simple, stupid)[/quote]

AMEN

-Not listening to my friend, or seeking out his advice, on how to train properly sooner than 6 months ago.

-Starting a job in high school the 2nd semester of sophomore year, which took up most of my time throughout hs and eventually made me fat and lazy outside of work, just when I started to get really interested in weight lifting and seeing some decent growth at age 15.

-Inexcusably missing any planned training days, albeit only a few, from within the last 5-6 months.

Buying into the BS that because I was a FFB I would have very poor carb tolerance, this only lead me having trained for a prolonged period of time with nothing to show for it.

Funny how when I finally got fed up I realised I had actually dropped a shit tonne of weight previously eating the right carbs in every meal. I now follow this approach once again and the gains could not be coming quicker.

No patience, not being realistic.

When bulking, I want to be huge now! So I over do it, get fat, and bail on the bulk.

Same when cutting. I eat too little and bail when I lose strength and size lol.

I have to admit, I am probably still guilty of this to some extent.

i started at gym w/ a smith machine so that’s where i began squatting, i became afraid to squat free.

in hindsight squatting free feels better. wish i had been doing it for much longer. my quads still get worked from the smith but i prefer free ROM.

not starting earlier…why did i not train serious in my twenties!!!

Booze, staying out late, and college age whores are way over rated!