Basics for Building?

I have cleaned up my eating habits, and go walking/running on a fairly regular basis (between hurricanes).
I will be ordering the new HOT-ROX next week.
My next step is to start resistance training. My goal is to lose the excess fat that I have (about 50 pounds) and build as much muscle as possible to aid in my fat loss.
Strength training first, body building later.
I see that compound excersises are best for starting to attain my goals.
What are the compound excersises that I should be doing? Spending no more than an hour at the gym.
Thanks

Compounds are definitely the way to go. Try deadlifts(and variations), squats(and variations), chins or pull-ups(if you can’t manage, pull-downs or assisted chins will work), bench press(and variations), military press.

Also, once you get the coordination together, snatches and cleans are about as compound as you can get.

To get started, start reading some of the programs around here. Even if you don’t want to follow them directly, you’ll get some great ideas.

Good Luck

Oh, and if you don’t want to spend more than an hour in the gym, Chad Waterbury’s programs might be a good place to get started. ABBH only takes about 30-45 minutes, if I remember correctly.

[quote]wishin wrote:
I have cleaned up my eating habits, and go walking/running on a fairly regular basis (between hurricanes).
I will be ordering the new HOT-ROX next week.
My next step is to start resistance training. My goal is to lose the excess fat that I have (about 50 pounds) and build as much muscle as possible to aid in my fat loss.
Strength training first, body building later.
I see that compound excersises are best for starting to attain my goals.
What are the compound excersises that I should be doing? Spending no more than an hour at the gym.
Thanks[/quote]

G’day…longtime lurker first time poster.

Compound exercises are the way to go. I personally started off many years ago with the same kind of goals, ie using weights to lose fat. What I found was the isolation movements were a complete waste of time, no matter what Flex or Muscle and Fitness said. Compound exercises, with good form, like deadlifts, squats, rows, presses and pullups work so many major muscle groups at the one time you can’t go wrong. Just be careful with these lifts, especially deadlifts, to use good technique and form otherwise you’ll be behind the eight ball before you get the chance to really build a solid foundation.

Don’t forget to rest by the way…otherwise you’re taking two steps forward and one step backwards everytime you chalk up.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advise. I will be checking out ABBH shortly.

In my opinion these are the six most important compound exercises:
Squat and Deadlift are by far the most important exercises : the majority of body muscles are involved in these movements.
horizontal pushing: bench press
horizontal pulling: row
vertical pushing: military press
vertical pulling: pullups/chins

My advice is: first become strong in these 6 exercises.
Then you may include other important compound exercises for example Sumo deadlift,front squat,Good mornings,dips,rope pull etc.

Only when you become big and strong you may spend 10 - 20 % of your training time doing some useful isolation exercises. For example for a shoulder specialization program, useful isolation exercises are described in “Shoulders Overhaul” by Christial Thibadeau.

what he said:
deadlift
squat
push press
row
bench
pullups

KISS - keep it simple stupid

Above all, learn proper form, stretching, and warm up techniques from the git-go to stay healthy and avoid later years of pain and injury.

Bastard F*ck Guy

luca is not only correct, he also stated it very well!

Check out Ian Kings Top 10 Mass Makers Article. I think it was posted about a month ago. Go to the Archives, 2004 and scroll down until you find it.

Also, CW just posted a brand new article today about his top 10 Hypertrophy Tips.

And as usual, everyone else is right on the money.

Good Luck wishin! You’re in the good company here.

[quote]Built Big wrote:
Check out Ian Kings Top 10 Mass Makers Article. I think it was posted about a month ago. Go to the Archives, 2004 and scroll down until you find it.

Also, CW just posted a brand new article today about his top 10 Hypertrophy Tips.

And as usual, everyone else is right on the money.

Good Luck wishin! You’re in the good company here.
[/quote]

Exactly. Do a little search and a little reading on the site. You will find everything you need.