X-Force and 10-10-10

Dr. Darden,

Have you been able to experiment with X-Force and your 30-10-30 or 10-10-10 method? If so, what were your observations. I recently tried using traditional negative accentuated reps (raise with 2, lower with 1) on curls and triceps using the 10-10-10 method and I think it has potential. I’m going to experiment with this method on leg extensions and leg curls in my next workout. Unfortunately, I don’t live anywhere near a gym that has X-Force equipment so I’ll have to go low tech.

If you were to set up a study using negative upload and 30-10-30 or 10-10-10 do you think you’d do anything different from the workouts you wrote about in your book on 30-10-30? Do you think the extra negative work would necessitate more rest. I personally liked the idea of not going to failure and given my age (68) it makes a big difference in how I feel.

Thanks,
David

I don’t believe you are supposed to mix 10-10-10, 30-10-30 or 30-30-30 with x-force

they are replacements for x-force due to 99% of the population do not have access to x-force equipment

rep cadence for x-force is 3-1-5…i.e. 3 second concentric, 1 second pause to allow the transfer of the weight stack and a 5 second eccentric

1 Like

Dr. Darden mentioned back in 2021 that he’d be interested in seeing how they worked together.

“Interestingly, I’d like to experiment with X-Force by reducing the normal resistance and then doing a set close to 30-10-30.”

It might be that you’d have to modify the way you perform the X-Force reps, the number of reps in the middle, or some other aspect of it. My experiment with negative accentuated reps on curls and triceps was easy enough to do and while not as sophisticated as X-Force, seemed to work my arms thoroughly.

Unfortunately, during the last several years I haven’t been back to the Gainesville Health & Fitness to use the X-Force equipment. But I’ve been applying my 10-10-10 and 30-10-30 techniques with my Orlando clients and they respond well to them.

If you had the opportunity to do a study with X-Force and 10-10-10 or 30-10-30 how do you think you’d do it? The standard cadence for X-Force being 3-1-5 as fitafter40 pointed out would put the 10 rep section in the middle at 90 seconds. That seems to be too long. I don’t know if X-Force can be done at a faster cadence given the tilting weight stack.

I’m going to experiment with 10-10-10 and negative accentuated exercises with the machines that I can use in that style. I’ll continue to avoid taking the sets to failure and see how it goes.

X-Force can be done slower and faster than the 3-1-5 recommendation, but it does take some practice to master the changes.

1 Like