Who Grows a Fruit/Veg Garden?

:rofl: No. I get prickly little blisters just from touching them, and if theyā€™re particularly strong and up wind (or down? Idk?) , itchy lungs and breathing passages, red puffy face.

Iā€™m planting them so that the wind blows it away from me. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to say.

1 Like

Oh okay, I gotcha now. I donā€™t know of much that eats tomato plants except gophers, horn worms and grasshoppers if thatā€™s the last thing standing.

I planted some Solar Fire tomatoes a few years ago I bought from a guy in town. Every tomato in the garden had horn worms on them except those. Come to find out all Solar Fire tomato seeds are treated.

I told my son that if that werenā€™t good enough for the tomato worms to eat, they werenā€™t good enough for us. Never planted them again.

1 Like

Iā€™m going with romas. There is a massive herd of deer in the area because my back yard butts up to a farm, but they seem to have their pick of what ever they like, and by the time they come through our yards theyā€™re full.

My neighbor did a few plants last year that turned out really nice. Iā€™ll ask him, but I donā€™t think he even used any pesticides or anything.

My cat and a couple of others in the neighborhood keep the little nibbly critters at bay.

1 Like

All filled up, just missing the smaller 1ā€™x1ā€™ pipes. It is at the back by the barn waiting to be chain saw into size. I need a second pair of hands to keep it stable to be cut. It should give 8 of the small sections

1 Like

That is HUGE barn! Is there an arena in there?

Yes the arena is the larger building

I wish @Chris_Colucci had some of these cherry tomato plants. I think every seed must have come up twiceā€¦ lol

Not long nowā€¦ zucchini

Pulled a couple of fresh onions to have with lunch.

And this happened, several times.

I believe thatā€™s a grubworm. They seem to be endemic in our part of the world.

1 Like

We have always called these little green bastards cut worms. The big fat white ones are what we always called grub worms, and grub worms are were June bugs come from.

Agreed. I just thought that was a young version of a grub worm.

Is there a remedy?

Bipel dust. Itā€™s not an insecticide but a biological agent that only kills worms.

Well thatā€™s it.
Under one dome, the cold tolerant stuff is coming up.

2 Likes

Getting stuff ready.

3 Likes

Do you use grow lights or the sun?

Sun coming through my ceiling window so far. Iā€™m going to put them in garden boxes. Hereā€™s some other stuff.

3 Likes

Very nice!

I was just wondering because the tomatoes look like the are getting leggy and need more light. I had that problem a few years ago by not have the lights close enough to the plants. They just needed more light.

Jealous of your beets and carrots. My beets and carrots didnā€™t make it. Some kind of bug chewed them off. I will try again when it gets cooler here.

1 Like

I have a love/hate for radishes. Some that Iā€™ve had taste great, kinda sweet but spicy, some are just insanity level hot like they only exist to inflict pain.

I dunno which I like better.

2 Likes

Yeah, hence I wonder why my wife is growing ghost peppers. :hot_face:

:joy:

I saw a flat of them at a local garden center. Iā€™m going to plant one, and will probably get a year worth of chili making out of it.

My brother did the ghost pepper challenge. He said it really is as bad as people have portrayed it to be. Iā€™m like ā€œYeahhhh, butā€¦ā€.

1 Like

I have planted them but in my opinion they werenā€™t that much different than habaneros. Once your taste buds are scorched it is what it is.