Strong is Beautiful

about the grip Kimba - I always have left facing down and right facing up. It just feels better.

-WTG on those chins! Seriously I always try to convince myself of doing them first at the gym but I pussy out. I thought of installing one at hone but my condo is made of cardboard and I would probably rip out a wall or something. I need to face the music and keep doing them.

wow, your first pull up??!!

Is this from a dead hang, or a starting jump? either way, AWESOME!!!

wide grip pullup!!! woohoo!!!

Hell YA!!!

Way to go Kimba! That’s seriously awesome.

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:

I used to be built like you guys. Just 3 or 4 years ago I was 5’6" 113. You can always thicken up if you want![/quote]

Yes, I know. But I finally have the body I’ve always wanted, and I ain’t givin’ it up. (BTW, you look great, you poser, you.)

N, you can have a pullup bar without doing anything to your walls. I have this one:

and it justs fit in a doorway and is removable.

MIM, this wasn’t my first pullup – I’ve gotten chins, pullups and neutral grip before – but my first WIDE GRIP!! Definitely from a dead hang.

Deja and Mascherano – I was SO excited. I’d been chasing this one a long damn time.

Follow up on the airbrush tan – it really looks awesome. I look like I spent the week in Maui, yet I only spent $35. Muscles definitely look more defined when tan, and I think my photo shoot will benefit.

Today’s training was GREAT! I’m chalking it up to finally getting a good nights sleep.

5/3/1 Wave 2, Week 3 - Squat and Bench Day

Back squat to 3 risers plus step
Bar 1 x 10 warmup
65# 1 x 5 warmup
90# 1 x 5 working – this felt strong
105# 1 x 3 working
115# 1 X 5 <–money set, last two were ugly

Well, I got one more rep at 115# then on Wednesday, so I’m calling it good. This weight is still giving me fits, but I’m clawing my way up.

Romanian deadlifts

95# 5 x 10
I have a video of one of these sets, which I can post tomorrow. I think I’m doing these correctly, but if not you guys can laugh and point.

Bench Press
Bar 1 x 10 warmup
65# 1 x 5 working
75# 1 x 3 working
85# 1 x 3 <–money set, Rep PR +2

Yay! I noticed I did a better job of getting a big breath and pushing out my belly on my rep PR. This is the first time I’ve managed to coordinate this.

Dips
BW +15 lbs. of plates on the dip belt 1 x 10 (rep PR +2), 2 x 8

I’m getting better with using the dip belt. It hangs a bit precariously on my hips, but I can cross my legs in front of the weight to keep the whole she-bang in place.

Back Raises
15 lb. dumbbell behind head – 1 x 20 (rep PR +5) 2 x 15

Dr. Clay’s Delt Triad
7.5#s 3 x 10
I thought I’d throw in some body-building stuff in the next two weeks until shoot-time. These tiny little 7.5# dumbbells totally kicked my ass. It BURNED.

Went home and ate eggs, bacon and toast with butter and jam. Then went Valentine’s Day shopping with my husband and bought some seriously stupid-expensive lingerie, had a delectable chocolate martini, then ate fried fish, onion strings and broccoli with cheese sauce. Best Valentine’s Day ever.

your workout sounds great, your valentine’s sounds even better. - good work on those PR across the board girl!

Jealous of your vday! haha

LOL! As I always say, everything looks better with a tan (we’re south american, its ingrained in us).

Great work Kimba, 5x10x95 on the RDL is awesome! How was your grip holding up? This is still my problem.

Bench and dips are looking great as well.

ps. I tried a WG pullup, nothing. I can’t believe you did it at dead hang! I’ll get you gadget…

Pauline Nordin said in a interview “If you’re a pale you look like a pig.” “You look like a skinned chicken breast” I LOL’d :smiley:

Good work on the PR’s and the successful tan. You are right that muscles pop better when tan. I took a back progress pic this weekend that was a bit too revealing and showed that in winter I get WAY to pale to be taking pics.

kimba you really keep progressing every week, that is awesome! glad i read your “week 3” or i might have forgot that for me today. PRs…whooo-hooo!

sounds like a great Vday. stupid-expensive lingerie must have looked great on your tanned bod! i’m with Masch, i’m rather fond of some color. :slight_smile:

[quote]talenaah wrote:
i’m rather fond of some color. :)[/quote]

Of course you are spicy sauce…

Also jealous of your V-Day. Heh. Nothing better than naughty knickers and chocolate martinis.

naughty knickers…Cal-you crack me up.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaa Bobbi. very funny. the non-hispanic part of me allows for a relatively fair shade in the winter. so i fix that with intermittent visits in the winter to the tanning bed<<<<<YEP, yessir, sure do! i just cover my face for the silly 11 min in there.

aside from a touch of color, i do believe the UV helps if you have SAD or whatever they call that seasonal disorder. and psoriasis if you have it (i do)

N, thanks for the encouragement!

Bobbi, “Like pancakes…” totally cracked me up. And made me want pancakes.

Masch, so far (knock on wood) I have had no grip failure issues with deadlifts. Heavy dumbbells, that is another story. Keep trying WG – it will come.

debraD, love the Pauline Nordin quotes! She is hardcore (and very tan):

Joe, I’ve done the same thing: progress pix while fishbelly white never show what you wanna see.

T, yeah I’ll bet the expensive knickers wouldn’t have been quite so enticing without the tan.

Cal, nothing would be better except maybe naughty knickers and a chocolate martini at the same time. :wink:

Today’s training: 35 minutes of XC ski skating. Apparently I really fried my arms and shoulders in the gym yesterday because the poleing was hurting me bad.

Here is yesterday’s RDL video, for laughing and pointing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dZc2GsmPY

Bent knees or straight? More ROM, or is it OK? Between these and the back raises, my hammies are toasty today.

the RDL’s look great! loooove the camera angle!

I will have to insist that you strap a broomstick to your torso, on your posterior chain, so that you stop hyperextending. It could be the camera angle, but it looks like it’s still happening, at least a little bit.

I’m jealous of your tan, even if it’s fake. I insist on keeping mah paleness for a lil longer, I like my tats too much to age them any more quickly than they already will.

[hijack]
t- have you noticed any of your color’s integrity being lost with the tanning? I know you said you go for only a few min, and that the benefits are awesome, I’m just too scared to mess up my ink.[/hijack]

re: your chocolate martini’s- a friend of mine gave me a drink one night that tasted like iced coffee, and told me later it was tequila. Like I need to know these things exist. Like I dont have enough alcoholic tendencies already. Sheesh. (feel free to do it again anytime, tho!!)

Form looked good, although they looked more like stiff leg dl’s…

Either way, Good work! And ya, the camera angle, I don’t hate it :wink:

I have soft knees when I RDL. Yours look locked. But your back position looks great to me.

I’m wondering, Kimba, why you always squat to a step. Do you feel you still need it to know your depth?

Really LOVE all your videos. Thanks for sharing! And, yes, a great camera angle when you have an ass like that.

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
the RDL’s look great! loooove the camera angle!!!) [/quote]

Thanks. I aim to please.

Arggh! I COMPLETELY forgot about back hyperextension. Had I been thinking about it, I know I could’ve done better. I posted the vid because I knew there was something I was forgetting about.

I’m a big fan of paleness and rarely tan for reals. As you know, staying out of the sun now will pay big dividends later. I’m now getting the payoff from years of pale skin.

[quote]
re: your chocolate martini’s- a friend of mine gave me a drink one night that tasted like iced coffee, and told me later it was tequila. Like I need to know these things exist. Like I dont have enough alcoholic tendencies already. Sheesh. (feel free to do it again anytime, tho!!)[/quote]

The one I had was Godiva white chocolate liqueur, Stoli vanilla vodka, and some Kahlua. The martini glass was coated with white chocolate swirls. YUM! It went down easy, but being a lightweight in every way, that was all the drink I could handle.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Form looked good, although they looked more like stiff leg dl’s…

Either way, Good work! And ya, the camera angle, I don’t hate it ;)[/quote]

Thanks MIM! I’ll admit, I’m still unclear on the difference between all the deadlift varieties. But doing them this way completely destroyed my hams - exactly what I was hoping for.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I have soft knees when I RDL. Yours look locked. But your back position looks great to me.

I’m wondering, Kimba, why you always squat to a step. Do you feel you still need it to know your depth?

Really LOVE all your videos. Thanks for sharing! And, yes, a great camera angle when you have an ass like that.[/quote]

I will definitely try a set of soft-kneed RDLs next time.

I still squat to a step for that exact reason. I still can’t tell when I’m cheating depth.

And thanks for looking at the vids (and for the compliment)! I’ve gotten so much out of people’s suggestions and comments.