Should I Bother Training?

I’m sure by the subject this seems like a stupid question, but let me elaborate. I am flying into Sydney next week to backpack Australia for a year. I will be living in hostels on a limited budget. Unless I want to carry around 10lbs of whey and a jug of creatine, I’m not going to have any supplementation. Furthermore, there is no way I will be able to afford good quality high protein foods, nor would I be able to carry them around with me. With that, should I even bother lifting weights in the next year? With very little protein, won’t I just be creating a catabolic environment and maybe even lose some more muscle if I did? I hate not being able to bodybuild… but will lifting just be a waste of time or do you think it will possibly allow me to keep at least some of the muscle I already have? I also doubt I’ll be able to train regularly by any means, only sporadically depending if the city I am in even has a gym. Any thoughts on what I should do here?

I think that you will definitely lose some muscle, but so what? It sounds like a lot of fun. It’s not like you are taking a year off to watch TV and eat chips. You’ll be out there exploring, having fun, all around living your life! I love going to the gym but every once and a while I will take a look around to see everyone working out, and I can’t help but wonder what we would all be doing if we weren’t in the gym. Hiking, biking, climbing, all sorts of stuff. Enjoy your trip, it’ll be fun and the gym will still be around when you get back.

without a doubt you should train if you dont want to lose too much muscle. believe me you will lose less muscle by doing short infrequent workouts when you can find a gym. you will definitely lose size living this lifestyle but the experience will be more than worth it. you can always gain the weight back when you get home. speaking from experience i say enjoy the trip, it will be one of the greatest things you ever do i’m sure. and don’t obsess about “bodybuilding” there is alot more to life. train when you can or you feel like it. eat as well as you can and you’ll be fine. but for a direct answer to your question, no you wont create a catabolic situation. yes it is worth training if you dont want to lose too much size, it will make a difference. plus there are some cool, hardcore gyms in australia. hope that helps. have a great time.

HEY SBL, YOUR ADVENTURE GOING BACKPACKING IS ALREADY A GREAT WORKOUT TO BEGIN WITH. I MEAN YOU’RE NOT GONNA LOOK LIKE A MADMAN WHEN U FINISH, BUT IM SURE YOU’D BE IN BETTER CARDIOVASCULAR SHAPE AND U DEFINETLY WILL LEARN HOW TO SURVIVE AND BE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR SURROUNDINGS. THE ONE THING I CAN TELL U THAT WILL KEEP YOU STRONG AND PROB. BUILD A DECENT AMOUNT OF MUSCLE IS TO DO PUSH UPS, PULL UPS, AND CHIN UPS. I MEAN ISN’T THIS WHAT THE SOLDIERS DO WHEN THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE? JUST MY TWO CENTS.

[Note from moderator: Please do not use all caps in the future. No need to yell.]