Rules at This 'Health Club'

[quote]kanew wrote:
davidcox1 wrote:
From en.wiktionary.org:

Alternative spellings
chalk (American)
[edit]Etymology
From Old English cealc, borrowed from Latin calx (�?�¢??limestone�?�¢??), borrowed from Ancient Greek �??�??�?�¬�??�?�»�??�?�¹�??�?�¾ (khaliks, �?�¢??pebble�?�¢??).

In other words, it sounds like another case of the Brits adding a vowel (or did the Americans take one away)?

Brits also spell it Chalk, never experienced anyone using ‘chaulk’[/quote]

Australians maybe? If Chaucer was the last to use it, we need to give it up for the one vowel version.

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
I wanted to run over and slap him in the face. [/quote]

ARRRGGGGGGGHHH!

[quote]davidcox1 wrote:
kanew wrote:
davidcox1 wrote:
From en.wiktionary.org:

Alternative spellings
chalk (American)
[edit]Etymology
From Old English cealc, borrowed from Latin calx (�??�?�¢??limestone�??�?�¢??), borrowed from Ancient Greek �??�??�??�?�¬�??�??�?�»�??�??�?�¹�??�??�?�¾ (khaliks, �??�?�¢??pebble�??�?�¢??).

In other words, it sounds like another case of the Brits adding a vowel (or did the Americans take one away)?

Brits also spell it Chalk, never experienced anyone using ‘chaulk’

Australians maybe? If Chaucer was the last to use it, we need to give it up for the one vowel version.[/quote]

Its definitely not Australian. We spell it Chalk as well. I think whoever wrote that sign just couldn’t spell.

How the hell did this thread turn into a debate about the etymological roots/coorect spelling of “chalk”?

[quote]artw wrote:
How the hell did this thread turn into a debate about the etymological roots/coorect spelling of “chalk”?[/quote]

My fault–sorry. I’ll redeem myself by adding that my wife and I were nearly thrown out of a gym once because she was spotting me in jeans (she wasn’t working out). They had a rule about jeans and didn’t care she wasn’t using the equipment.

They said the jeans (with zippers, seams and rivets) ruined the equipment. I don’t think the rules are as bad as the power-hungry dimwits that are asked to enforce them and can’t look past the black and white text for meaning and reason.

[quote]elano wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Dont drop the weights when you deadlift, problem solved.

Sure, I’ll make sure to be real quiet when I crank out my 5RM with no chalk. I never let the weights slip out of my hands on purpose but I’ll be dammed if I’m gana ease them down and waste the energy I need for the last rep.[/quote]

easing the rep down counts in the strength game…ease it down then blow it back up

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Haha, they couldn’t even spell chalk right.[/quote]

Deny ability.

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
There was a guy doing deads yesterday and he was slamming the weight down every stinking rep, it was driving me crazy. Especially because he only had 305 on the bar, I wanted to run over and slap him in the face. [/quote]

Perhaps you are unaware that lowering the weight rapidly is a completely legitimate DL’ing technique, which for some people is much better than lowering the weight slowly?

If he is such a person, you want him to perform the lift in a way unsuited to him just because of you being such a pussy that you are BOTHERED by the sound of weightlifting that actually makes sound?

This thread makes me more thankful that “though” the club I train at is a more upscale sort of place, the only comments I’ve ever gotten from the employees is that they think that my deadlifting, which is not quiet, adds motivation for others.

Obviously they’d be overestimating the other members if you were one of them.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Rooster1980 wrote:
There was a guy doing deads yesterday and he was slamming the weight down every stinking rep, it was driving me crazy. Especially because he only had 305 on the bar, I wanted to run over and slap him in the face.

Perhaps you are unaware that lowering the weight rapidly is a completely legitimate DL’ing technique, which for some people is much better than lowering the weight slowly?

If he is such a person, you want him to perform the lift in a way unsuited to him just because of you being such a pussy that you are BOTHERED by the sound of weightlifting that actually makes sound?

This thread makes me more thankful that “though” the club I train at is a more upscale sort of place, the only comments I’ve ever gotten from the employees is that they think that my deadlifting, which is not quiet, adds motivation for others.

Obviously they’d be overestimating the other members if you were one of them.
[/quote]

I need to work out at your gym…and own it. Dough

[quote]Extremepain wrote:
Ok, I thought I had a normal gym where this silly shit doesnt happen. I guess I jinxed myself by reading these posts last night. Here’s my story:

I go in this morning and there are 3 other people in the weight room. None of them really in shape. Where it gets humorous is two of them are working together and they look like Daryl and his other brother Daryl.

They were doing standing curls with the EZ curl bar using 40 lbs of weight on it. The other guy was bench pressing all over the weight room. He had the flat, incline and decline benches set up with plates.

But it gets comical when I notice that all of them are wearing (rather proudly too) weightlifting belts. Maybe they hold in the beer gut or something. If you need a belt to do curls, then you either need major back surgery or you’re doing them wrong. Same thing with bench pressing. Now I’m not against the belt. I strap one on when I squat or deadlift heavy - then I take it off when I’m done.

Then it gets better, the two dudes with their belts go over to the squat rack. They each take just the bar and do like 15 warm up squats. Funny part is they make sure they set the safety crossbars for the warm up with zero weight (still wearing the belts).

And the whole time they are each doing their warm up sets, they shout words of encouragement to each other. “Come on. One more. You can do it” Mind you there is no weight on the bar.

One of the pair kept grunting loudly everytime he lifted. I was literally trying not to laugh out loud the whole time.[/quote]

Dude, are you for real?? You sure you’re not stretching it a little bit there? If not, that shit is priceless!! GGGGGRR, c’mon, 45, that’s the shit!!

[quote]davidcox1 wrote:
artw wrote:
How the hell did this thread turn into a debate about the etymological roots/coorect spelling of “chalk”?

My fault–sorry. I’ll redeem myself by adding that my wife and I were nearly thrown out of a gym once because she was spotting me in jeans (she wasn’t working out). They had a rule about jeans and didn’t care she wasn’t using the equipment.

They said the jeans (with zippers, seams and rivets) ruined the equipment. I don’t think the rules are as bad as the power-hungry dimwits that are asked to enforce them and can’t look past the black and white text for meaning and reason.[/quote]

I get to enforce these " rules." Not a lot of fun and usually leads to complaints to my boss, who usually backs me up. I would rather he not chew me out though.

[quote]deadlift655 wrote:
davidcox1 wrote:
artw wrote:

They said the jeans (with zippers, seams and rivets) ruined the equipment. I don’t think the rules are as bad as the power-hungry dimwits that are asked to enforce them and can’t look past the black and white text for meaning and reason.

I get to enforce these " rules." Not a lot of fun and usually leads to complaints to my boss, who usually backs me up. I would rather he not chew me out though. [/quote]

Present company excepted, of course.