Raw Broccoli & Upset Stomach

I've been trying to move to other sources of raw veggies I can have at work since I used to always eat carrots, but someone suggested I try other things because of their high sugar content. 

Brocolli seems like a match, then, but all of the sudden now I get stomach aches when I eat it. Is this something others have had problems with? What other veggies are good to eat that are portable enough to be good for work?

[quote]traininginpr wrote:
Brocolli seems like a match, then, but all of the sudden now I get stomach aches when I eat it. Is this something others have had problems with? What other veggies are good to eat that are portable enough to be good for work?[/quote]

to some extent I experience the same thing, not sure if its gas or what. I prefer it fresh and crispy to steamed, although for some reason its a bit harder on the gut that way. eat it anyway. any veggie you can eat home can be taken in a meal with you to work no? i like (all fresh) cherry tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, if you dont feel like cutting & prepping. although the asparagus will make your piss stink something vicious.

Its the fiber, you likely just aren’t used to the extra fiber. As for other veggies, different types of peppers, culliflower, spinach, beans, peas. Lots of differant choices.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I like the other veggie suggestions because I need the finger food for when it’s not mealtime at work, but I need to chug back a protein shake and eat some bread and veggies without making it look like a huge process (ie, I can still keep working throughout it). I had never thought about eating cauliflower because it’s not green.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
Its the fiber, you likely just aren’t used to the extra fiber. As for other veggies, different types of peppers, culliflower, spinach, beans, peas. Lots of differant choices.[/quote]

This is most likely the correct response. You probably are not used to the fiber. The benefits of raw green vegetables are numerous though. I almost always have mine raw now

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Raimisch wrote:
Its the fiber, you likely just aren’t used to the extra fiber. As for other veggies, different types of peppers, culliflower, spinach, beans, peas. Lots of differant choices.

This is most likely the correct response. You probably are not used to the fiber. The benefits of raw green vegetables are numerous though. I almost always have mine raw now
[/quote]

Do you think we can actually digest raw brocoli? Every time I try to eat it rawm I get upset stomach or these wicked broccoli farts. Maybe humans just can’t digest some raw vegetation, or maybe its just me.

I never have that problem with raw spinach, peppers, green beans, etc.

Is there any difference (benefitwise) between a steamed vegetable and a raw one?

Before trying to eat broccoli I was eating carrots. Wouldn’t I have been already used to fiber because of them, or do they have a lot less?

Thanks

Brocolli, along with the other cruciferous vegetables in the cabbage family (cauliflower,etc), are actually more nutritious when eaten cooked.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Brocolli, along with the other cruciferous vegetables in the cabbage family (cauliflower,etc), are actually more nutritious when eaten cooked.[/quote]

That actually makes perfect sense. Those are the veggies that usually give me problems when I attempt to eat them raw.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Brocolli, along with the other cruciferous vegetables in the cabbage family (cauliflower,etc), are actually more nutritious when eaten cooked.[/quote]

I’m not sure where you got that from. I mean, I know that cooked broccoli has more potassium than raw, but for the life of me, can’t think of anything else that would warrant eating it cooked over raw.

Two minutes browsing the web show a pretty strong consensus that raw is more nutrient dense.

I’ll be interested in reading anything that backs up your claim.

i, too, have always opted to eat most of my veggies raw. i have read that even steaming vegetables leaves some of the vitamins and such in the water…

I think its probably a good idea to eat them both ways.

Cooking decreases Vit. C content (possibly moreso boiled/steamed than in the microwave), but it seems to be easier to digest, and I believe cooking might have beneficial affects on calcium absorption (although this may just be because its easier to eat more cooked broccoli).

You can always drink the broccoli water when it cools down (a flavored beverage I’ve come to not only stomach but enjoy).

always eat vegetables raw, mostly becuase raw vegtables still have live enzymes in them which is important, temperatures as low as even 40C will destroy enzymes.

however if you take a digestive enzyme supplement it shouldnt be a problem.

Broccili and cabbage, along with other cruciferous vegetables, are famous for producing gas in some individuals. Cooking helps most people digest these vegetables better.

If you’re determined to eat them raw, and they upset your stomach, I reccomend you get “beano” from a health food store (the drops rather than the pills; take a few drops under the tongue when you eat the vegetables)–it’ll take care of all your gas/cramp issues (likewise if beans give you trouble.)

As has been mentioned cooking does destroy the living enzymes in the vegetables which are benefitial. Cooking reduces the levels of some vitamins and minerals too.

On the other hand cooking increases other vitamins and minerals, and tends to make vegetables easier to digest.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
As has been mentioned cooking does destroy the living enzymes in the vegetables which are benefitial. Cooking reduces the levels of some vitamins and minerals too.

On the other hand cooking increases other vitamins and minerals, and tends to make vegetables easier to digest.[/quote]

Absolutely. I rarely bother eating raw carrots for example. But in the case of broccoli, I’ll have to say that raw is better - in a “bang for your buck” kinda way.

I’d never even considered eating broccoli raw… Anything you all do to prepare it first? Would make life a lot easier for me if I can stomach it. Taste okay?

Massaging the broccoli with sea salt, and then letting it sit with some lemon juice will help make it more digestable without cooking it. This process breaks down the cell walls and the fiber a bit, and releases some of the vegetable’s moisture.

The salt and lemon should make it a bit tastier, but if you want to up the flavour further add a little olive oil, garlic, and italian spices (oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, etc) and let it marinate in that in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

my nutrition book says:
“most vitamin losses are not catastrophic and a law of diminishing returns operates. do not fret over small losses or waste time that may be valuable in improving your health in other ways. Be assured that if you start with plenty of fruits and vegetables and are reasonably careful in their storage and preparation, you will recieve a sufficient supply of all the nutrients they provide.”

so basically eat your vegetables however you like best as long as you are eating them.