MIT Eliminates DEI Hiring Requirements

*Marine… then soldier. Ha. Did 2 branches.

So….

Did you erect steel for the frame of buildings, or did you erect stairs and railings.

Or did you work in a fab shop/both?

I’m nosy Marine.

That’s right!

Its important to remember the real target of all this DEI stuff.

Local 396 is a mixed local so bridge, structural, reinforcing, ornamental. Did all of it but mostly structural stuff like bolting up.

2 Likes

Do you still work in the construction industry or did you decide to do something else later on?

Do you have a favorite project you worked on?

I’m studying construction management at college and I’m about to graduate May 18.
I’ve done 2+ years total in co-ops/internships throughout school, but in estimating, field engineering, and project management.

I was an estimator/project engineer intern at a non-union steel subcontractor. I still keep in contact with our Senior Estimator. He started from the (non-union) field and worked his way up to the office.

1 Like

Left about 17 years ago. Was a St Louis City cop for 15 years. Resigned to run my business full time.

Worked at the largest concrete plant in the world. That was pretty epic.

Construction never seems to evolve honestly. Foremen are typically ass holes with zero leadership skills. Breaks and lunches are too short. Days are too long.

2 Likes

Dude that’s quite the fulfilling life you have. All of those different life experiences and roles, that sounds awesome!

How old were you when you started your business?

I’m only asking cause an average person would say “it’s too late” or “I’m too old” to do this or that, when there is always time to reinvent themselves.

The thought of owning a business is intimidating to me lol.

I’ve lived life my way, sir. Marine, soldier, Ironworker, cop, business owner… never had a family or kids so a lot of freedom.

Done A LOT in one lifetime and still going. Best is yet to come.

Started my business about 7 years ago. It’s the best feeling man. We have a clothing line, training programs, trauma therapy and a performance brand of coffee in the works.

2 Likes

This aint about utility, communication and coordination.

This is about representation. Doesn’t matter if she’d be way better at those other things.

You’re like my vocationally a.d.d. brother from another mother, except that you didn’t drink drano and did go to bootcamp. :rofl:.

I’ve worked most of my professional life in various aspects of manufacturing and logistics. I’ve worked with plenty of women in management, support and administrative roles. The shop floors, especially the dirty, uncomfortable and dangerous shop floors, don’t seem to have too many fair maidens lining up for the good pay and solid benefits.

The clean, comfortable and low-stress shop floor manufacturing jobs I’ve seen over the years seem to have a lot more women, which isn’t particularly surprising. Operating a food-grade packer all day is a lot different than operating sintering furnaces that run on hydrogen.

Ackchually…

Before many of you were born my father was a sales manager for a major bread company in the Sacramento Valley. The job included working and training the route salesmen of course. It is hard work. Sacramento summers are hot as :poop: and winters can be wet. They call him in one day and in no uncertain terms let him know they hired a lady to be a route salesman and he was to train her. In his best Archie Bunker he let them know she would never make it. Well she told him she ran three days a week, and lifted three days a week. I was driving a forklift at a big warehouse grocery store, which was one of the stops on the route. She was in good physical condition, I noticed that. But she was maybe five-four, she might have weighed 115 lbs. It takes a lot of weight to pull those bread racks around. She lasted about two weeks. I am not criticizing, the reality of the situation was she was just not big and heavy enough. It wore her out.

1 Like

I have a terrible feeling that you will be disappointed.

I think merit is a valid point and one MIT seemingly will champion.

Firefighters are a common example here as well. I’m 6’, 6’1” if I stretch before measuring and ~230lbs. Most men would have a hard time carrying me out of a building, never mind women. I’d rather live than let someone pretend to be a capable firefighter at my expense. I don’t care who drives the truck or operates a hose though, and this point often gets twisted to an unfair advantage conversation around women getting the easy or safe jobs. Can’t have it both ways, but I personally believe that if you can’t pass the test without alteration you’re not cut for the job, for whatever reason.

Probably not feasible in most cases, but I would like to see interview processes happen remotely, camera off, voice disguising software in play and for the sake of it pretend social media can’t be searched.

Interview objectively and hire the right candidate. Have a big reveal party for their first day orientation. Problem solved on both sides of the fence.

My only thought here on this topic of DEI is a recurring question in my mind: Why is there not a bigger sense of outrage/offense by the black community about them being hired/admitted etc. while now needing to meet LOWER standards than their white or asian peers?
One of my coworkers is a black man and he said that the whole topic of DEI is insulting as hell to him because he got the grades in high school to get admitted to a top university here in the US, and he studied and worked hard to graduate with a degree in chemical engineering, and he stressed “by taking, and performing well on the same exams given to me and my white classmates. I didn’t get an exam with simpler, easier math or physics problems because I was black and my poor black brain couldn’t handle the mathematics like my white classmates!”

Dude got fired UP one day talking about it as we were grabbing some lunch together. He said he was frankly embarassed by “his people” who push so hard for DEI because he said it is like admitting that blacks aren’t as capable or intelligent enough to be measured against the same standards as other races. He said his daughter was accepted to pharmacy school at the University of Miami because she had the appropriate GPA, not because they simply needed more black females for “diversity”—which he said it was a bunch of BS when they try to defend DEI by saying we “need diversity”. He said that not everything is improved by having people of different backgrounds in the same group/company, that what mattered more was if they all had a collective mindset of all contributing to work towards a set of goals, as to achieve these goals your past played no part.

So again…that’s the question I keep wondering as I watch this whole DEI garbage unfold: why aren’t more minorities offended by the basic premise of DEI…that blacks, mexicans, etc need more help in getting hired, being accepted into certain training programs (SWAT, FBI, Ranger school) and without the “loosened/lowered” standards, these minorities would not have as good of a chance to be successful.

DEI is not about getting so called marginalized groups in as much as it’s about keeping heterosexual white men out.

If you care so much go do something about it.

Why would they care? It’s a program that exists to help them, so it’s in their interest to support it. The intent behind the program is completely irrelevant.

To be extremely reductive: say I offered someone $100,000, but told them that I’m only making the offer because I think they’re an incompetent fool who wouldn’t otherwise be capable of making money.

Of course, most people would take the money. The reasoning behind my offer isn’t relevant to their decision.

There have been a few times in my life when I have been able to benefit from DEI applications/hiring (because of gender/sexuality/religion). I have put 0% of my thought into what the existence of the program says about my value and competence, and 100% of my thought into how I can use it to my advantage.

You don’t see the removal of a persons dignity or sense of accomplishment as detrimental?

I know they don’t pay the bills, but some say they are essential to a healthy and fulfilling life.