How to incorperate 5/3/1 and distance running

I am 65 and thinking about getting back into distance running. I would still like to continue strength training and was thinking about two of Jim’s templates to follow will building back up my base for running based on Jeff Galloways method of walking and running. Time and distance are still to be determined.

The first was the Triumvirate looking like this:

Monday
Squat 3x5 Pros
2 Assistance 3x10

Walk

Tuesday
Bench3x5 Pros
2 Assistance 3x10

Walk/Run

Wednesday
Walk

Thursday
Deadlift 3x5 Pros
2 Assistance 3x10

Walk

Friday
Press 3x5 Pros
2 Assistance 3x10

Walk

Saturday
Run

Sunday
Off

My second thought is

Monday

Squat 3x5 Pros
Bench 3x5 Pros
3 sets of 10 Assistance done in a circuit:
Push
Pull
Lower

Walk

Tuesday
Run/Walk

Wednesday
Walk

Thursday
Squat 3x5 Pros
Bench 3x5 Pros
3 sets of 10 Assistance done in a circuit:
Push
Pull
Lower

Walk

Friday
Run/Walk

Saturday
Run

Sunday

Any thoughts or advice?
Off

This will all be determined by your recovery.
You’ll need to run a min of three times per week to make any progress.
One short run.
One med run/walk/sprint
One long run.
I used to de a lot of trail/ultra trail running and weight training def took a back seat at that time. Would just do an upper/lower split 2-3 times per week but at that time is was also running 70-90 plus miles/week depending on what my race schedule looked like.

1 Like

Also my preferred default run template! You can really adjust it to any running goal.

1 Like

Jim has put a template on his blog to cover that.

He also has a second article covering more subjects related to increasing your conditioning.

The running program you will use will entirely depend on what you can do right now but I would recommend you follow the principles : start too light, progress slowly.

EDIT: You mention walking in your proposed template. Good call. My best 10k time was after a winter of walking 4 miles almost everyday. I started running again in April after having stopped from October to March and at the end of May, I set a PR after less than 2 months running.