How to Get Max Reps w/ 225 Bench?

[quote]patricio2626 wrote:
I don’t think the OP meant that he didn’t want to have a higher 1RM; he was simply stating that his goal now is to increase his 225-lb BP. It would indeed be absurd to not want a higher 1RM but instead be able to rep one’s 1RM (contradiction of terms, in this case); therefore, it seems absurd that some of you interpreted it this way. [/quote]

That’s where the absurdity lays, that CLEARLY, if he increases the number of reps he can hit 225, he will be able to bench more than 225. The OP needs to recognize that this is also CAUSAL. If he improves his max, he WILL improve his 225 rep max.

The lower the qualification of the athlete, the more general the means. What this means is that with a measly 225 bench max, (and not to offend, but a 225 max sucks unless the OP is 110 pounds or a woman) JUST increasing the max will increase the reps.

That was my point.

[quote]conorh wrote:

That’s where the absurdity lays, that CLEARLY, if he increases the number of reps he can hit 225, he will be able to bench more than 225. The OP needs to recognize that this is also CAUSAL. If he improves his max, he WILL improve his 225 rep max.

The lower the qualification of the athlete, the more general the means. What this means is that with a measly 225 bench max, (and not to offend, but a 225 max sucks unless the OP is 110 pounds or a woman) JUST increasing the max will increase the reps.

That was my point. [/quote]

Fair enough, you are correct on all counts, as I see it. I think our disagreement was over the interpretation of the OP’s post. It was a little poorly worded, but he did clarify it.

I hate when fench press is used instead of skullcrushers… But hey that’s just me.

OP,

Get stronger. There’s no magic pill or special bend of the wrist or any of that. Get your 1rm up past three bills and your 225 reps will increase.

Dave Tate’s video on proper bench technique (hosted on this site for awhile, not sure if it’s still here) is a great tutorial.