Hate Boring Casual Conversation?

My father is one of those people everyone likes, hes in his sixties now but since I can remember when he walks into a room everyone knows him and wants to talk to him. He really talks about nothing especially interesting or provocative but he jokes a lot and everyone loves it. I dont even think hes very funny but still they all love it lol.

I think you need people who are good conversationalists in a group for it to be interesting. I know people who randomly say things and it turns into a good conversation.

[quote]sen say wrote:
The worst is when someone you just met asks, “so…what do you do?” I always make up something and see how they reply…lately I’ve been telling people I own an undergarment manufacturing company…it’s a good way to see if the person you’re talking to is a dope or possibly okay…if they’re a dope I tend to steer the conversation to music…ask them what they’re top 10 favorite songs are…this scares a lot of people…[/quote]

I hate that question too. Especially when I was unemployed years ago. I used to tell them dogcatcher. And then tell them about my job to see how long it’d take for them to figure out that I’m fucking with them.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I hate that question too. Especially when I was unemployed years ago. I used to tell them dogcatcher. And then tell them about my job to see how long it’d take for them to figure out that I’m fucking with them.[/quote]

I used to say, “I’m a welder…and well…I weld…actually…I’m not a welder yet, but I keep thinking about learning how to weld and then I would be a welder and I could hang up a sign out front of my house that says something like ‘Sen Say - Welding’…or maybe ‘Welding by Sen Say’…what do you think? Which sign would make you more excited about bringing your welding needs to me?” and then stare at them real sincere.

If you’re bored then you’re boring.

Some of my married friends are somewhat not allowed to invite me to these boring occasions by their wives, and some of said wives are friends of mine I know from before I met their husbands,

because I am their hero.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:
Over the summer a friend had a party at his house. The party was billed as a “party for the people” and the theme was that NO children were to be present. Great idea, except that every person we talked to insisted on talking about their kids. It was really annoying after a while. It’s like they became parents and all other life ceases to exist.

After a while the host offers us something a bit stronger than beer (read: pot and 'shrooms). Suite!! As the night goes on it becomes abundantly apparent that we have picked up a stalker. This guy will not shut up and is talking to us about the most uncomfortable topics like how his wife left him because he wasn’t emotionally mature enough. Problems seeing his kids. Real personal stuff that you don’t talk about at a party with people you just met.

We kept trying to get away but he continues to find us. As time goes on the idea of moving becomes less and less appealing so we choose a comfy seat by the fire. We are more than happy to sit around and talk about 1) how high we are 2)baseball 3)anything that does not require any sort of short term memory as we seem to have lost ours.

This dude finds us and launches in to this story about his ex in-laws doberman. He then shocks us all when he informs us that he “knows for a fact that people actually bred this dog to have certain characteristics”. I know, I was amazed to find out that there are not packs of wild dobermans wandering the Savannah. That is the type of stuff they don’t tell you about in school.

As none of our previous attempts to get him to shut up have worked my bf tries the blunt approach and straight up says we do not want to talk to him anymore and would very much like it if he shut up. The guy saw this as an invitation to launch into a story about how said doberman attacked his daughter and half ripped her face off.

Under normal circumstances this would have just been uncomfortable to listen to. However, the effects of the 'shrooms have begun and I suddenly begin laughing uncontrollably. I don’t know whether it was the absurdity of the story or the fact that we just told him that we do not want him to talk anymore and he decides to stick around and discuss this particular matter.

At this point the bf just gets up and walks away and I am trying like hell to pull myself together. Despite my incredibly rude behavior and the fact I am laughing right in his face, the guy presses on with his story. Finally, in frustration I scream “I am too fucking high to listen to you talk anymore and am going to walk away now. Please do not follow me”. That was the last I saw of him (at least that I can remember) and the rest of the night was rather enjoyable.

crazy.[/quote]
Nice avatar.[/quote]

and a pumpkins fan… where have you been my whole life?

[quote]sen say wrote:
The worst is when someone you just met asks, “so…what do you do?” I always make up something and see how they reply…lately I’ve been telling people I own an undergarment manufacturing company…it’s a good way to see if the person you’re talking to is a dope or possibly okay…if they’re a dope I tend to steer the conversation to music…ask them what they’re top 10 favorite songs are…this scares a lot of people…[/quote]

This, I hate this and I am only in college. I don’t mind telling them what my plan is but it is so repetitive and is just a filler for conversation. i have said some wacky things. Or when someone asks me where I go to school, I make up schools or say a different school everytime and proceed to tell the person all about the campus and how awesome it is and so on and so forth. Ive kept it going for a while before someone realizes its not a real school.

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Some of my married friends are somewhat not allowed to invite me to these boring occasions by their wives, and some of said wives are friends of mine I know from before I met their husbands,

because I am their hero.[/quote]

We have a tough time finding “couples” to hang out with because I always piss the girl off by starting inappropriate conversations. In my defense I only do it after we have been there for a while and I am good and buzzed. It’s gotten to the point that I only attempt to discuss Twilight related issues with these boars.

Sometimes if I am feeling particularly cunty I like to get the guys all riled up with sports or comic book related issues (depending on who we are hanging out with) and then walk away so their girlfriends have to deal with it.

This is why I have just taken to hanging out at bars. People are infinitely more interesting when you only know them for 2 hours.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Most people are boring as fuck. [/quote]

subjective… In my experience, the only normal people are the people I don’t know well enough. Everyone including my relatives and parents I have taken the time to know are batshit crazy.

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:

This dude finds us and launches in to this story about his ex in-laws doberman. He then shocks us all when he informs us that he “knows for a fact that people actually bred this dog to have certain characteristics”. I know, I was amazed to find out that there are not packs of wild dobermans wandering the Savannah. That is the type of stuff they don’t tell you about in school.

[/quote]

Ahaha

I hate conversations based on where something is or was located and how to get there.

My wifes dad has to do this every fucking time we get together.

The one time this type of conversation started I was struck by inspiration! I disgustedly proclaimed “Oh, Fuck! Not this shit again.” and went fishing at a creek a few miles down the road. I followed up with that several more times and now I just skip the whole process by not even showing up to family functions.

Same deal with photo albums of people I’ve never met doing things in places I’ve never been.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I hate that question too. Especially when I was unemployed years ago. I used to tell them dogcatcher. And then tell them about my job to see how long it’d take for them to figure out that I’m fucking with them.[/quote]

I used to say, “I’m a welder…and well…I weld…actually…I’m not a welder yet, but I keep thinking about learning how to weld and then I would be a welder and I could hang up a sign out front of my house that says something like ‘Sen Say - Welding’…or maybe ‘Welding by Sen Say’…what do you think? Which sign would make you more excited about bringing your welding needs to me?” and then stare at them real sincere.[/quote]

Sen Say Welding, definitely.

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:

We have a tough time finding “couples” to hang out with [/quote]

Same here…we have many ‘friends’ that are couples where the guy is okay, or the girl, but not both.

I almost never go out or socialize. What a waste of time.

Then again I wouldn’t have much to say if I did go out. I’d only end up sounding like I’m bragging anyway. Then the listener would end up going on some online forum and tell what a boring fucker I am.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I almost never go out or socialize. What a waste of time.

Then again I wouldn’t have much to say if I did go out. I’d only end up sounding like I’m bragging anyway. Then the listener would end up going on some online forum and tell what a boring fucker I am. [/quote]

I’m sure everyone would rather talk to your wife. I’m sure she’s MUCH more interesting than you, anyway:)

95% of my casual conversations go as follows:

Them: “So what do you do?”

Me: “Dietetics student in University”

Them: “Really, how do I (Insert generic body comp/health question)”

Me: (Quick reply, change topic)

Them: “But I heard (Something inane to counter my point, usually illogical)”

Me: (Continue on topic change)

Them: (Gets pissy that I didn’t cater to their needs)

Funny thing is, they NEVER take the little bit of advice I gave them, since I’m only a ‘student’ and not an actual dietitian.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I almost never go out or socialize. What a waste of time.

Then again I wouldn’t have much to say if I did go out. I’d only end up sounding like I’m bragging anyway. Then the listener would end up going on some online forum and tell what a boring fucker I am. [/quote]

I’m sure everyone would rather talk to your wife. I’m sure she’s MUCH more interesting than you, anyway:)[/quote]

No need for sarcasm, Tigga. What you say is true.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
However some people are almost incapable of talking about anything other than work/kids/home/family. Why? Because they have foolishly allowed their individuality to become subservient to their only areas of interest and so cannot divert from those topics, unless exremely pressured to do so. And who wants to be ‘exremely pressured’ when trying to relax?

BBB[/quote]

This is a great quote.

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:

We have a tough time finding “couples” to hang out with because I always piss the girl off by starting inappropriate conversations. In my defense I only do it after we have been there for a while and I am good and buzzed. It’s gotten to the point that I only attempt to discuss Twilight related issues with these boars.

Sometimes if I am feeling particularly cunty I like to get the guys all riled up with sports or comic book related issues (depending on who we are hanging out with) and then walk away so their girlfriends have to deal with it.

This is why I have just taken to hanging out at bars. People are infinitely more interesting when you only know them for 2 hours. [/quote]

I think I’m in love.