Gym Rants

I just have to rant because I keep noticing more and more people who go to the gym for reasons unknown to me. I just want to give a couple examples of the things I have seen in the last week and you will understand where I am coming from.

I was about to do a set of incline dumbbell presses when I look over at the bench next to me. There is a couple training together, maybe in their late 30’s and the woman is spotting what I believe was her boyfriend, husband, whatever. He is doing incline dumbbell flyes when his girlfriend starts to give him a massage in the middle of the set. Then she starts kissing his forehead and because her face is now in the range of motion of his flyes his form goes to complete shit, not like it was good to begin with but at this point he is bring the dumbbells together over his stomach which I can tell is visibly uncomfortable and if they weren’t 10 lb dumbbells he probably would have injured himself. I couldn’t understand why you would come to a gym so your girlfriend can massage you? I was thinking the whole time to myself if a girl ever tried to pull that shit while I was training I’d put the dumbbell in her ass.

Okay and while I’m at it, yesterday I notice these 3 guys sitting on some of the equipment and bullshitting with each other (in thier 40’s) and checking out some young girls. This is no big deal, however 15 minutes later I notice they have not moved nor completed 1 set since the last time I looked over. 15 more minutes go by… not one repetition?? C’mon, if your gonna sit around and bullshit why not go home and sit on a comfortable couch, this way you don’t take up space on the equipment and you have yourself a fuckin beer. I’m really starting to think people believe it’s just the cool thing to hang out at the gym, or maybe I just need to stop going at peak hours and get my ass up at 4:45AM.

Hijack–

This dudes name reminds me of a hilarious post from a while back. Take a look:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=6B1D6ADCA1F64B2CE8D56B3101ED8171.ba13?id=271498

hehehe

JMB

I remeber once my ex and I were at the gym I was doing arms and was still doing a set of curls when she came over to me and grabbed my arm(I was still in a set!!!) because it was pumped. I flipped out on her, and she countered that any other guy would love having their girlfriend grab their arm I’m happy that I’m not the only one who finds stuff like that strange at the gym

Arnld,

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I used to go to the gym during peak hours and it took me about 2 hours to complete a work out. Between waiting for equipment, kicking the lazy asses out of equipment and the crowds of socializers it was a nightmare. Now I get up at 4:15, hit the gym by 5 and I’m done in an hour. And the best part, the only people in there at that time are serious about their training. It takes a little getting used to but it’s well worth it.

[quote]JMB wrote:
Hijack–

This dudes name reminds me of a hilarious post from a while back. Take a look:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=6B1D6ADCA1F64B2CE8D56B3101ED8171.ba13?id=271498

hehehe

JMB[/quote]

Thanks JMB, that’s classic.

I once saw a lady using one of the stariclimbers who was talking on her cell phone (the gym has since banned cell phone use) WHILE SUCKING ON A LOLLIPOP! First time I ever saw anyone eat candy while exercising.

[quote]superpimp wrote:
I’m happy that I’m not the only one who finds stuff like that strange at the gym[/quote]

Girls aren’t the only ones who do this, though- I once made the mistake of taking a guy I was dating to the gym with me, and he was a bit too touchy-feely the entire time, even while I was lifting! Needless to say, he was history soon after that. :o)

sniff sniff

I don’t notice much of anything outside of what I’m doing in the gym. There could be a circus clown in the corner juggling flaming vibrators and I wouldn’t notice. Pretty much the only thing that distracts me are those that groan and scream unnecessarily.