Fedor vs. Rogers

[quote]admbaum wrote:
Outside of Arlovski and James Thompson, he hasnt really faced any really good fighters and they arent that great as is. And by good, I base everything PURELY on their record, Arlovski is 15/7, Thompson is 14/10, and John Murphy is like 6/3 or something. Now he’s gonna fight Fedor who’s 30/1 in MMA with 12 Sambo tournament championships (average 5 fights per tourney).

Disservice to him and his opponents? He hasnt had an opponent near Fedor’s caliber. I dont know if you;ve noticed, but stikeforce’s HW div isnt exactly stacked with a lot of talent. In fact, they only have 42 fighters total on contract. I’ma have to go ahead and disagree with you here. All things considered, if Fedor walks into the rings his usual self, he should run through Rogers without even breaking a sweat.

Fedor is not unbeatable; no one is. But the likelihood of Rogers beating him is slim and would hinge on a lucky shot.[/quote]

No one’s fought someone near Fedors caliber, outside of those who’ve actually fought him. He’s in a class by himself. He also doesn’t make mistakes, and he capitalizes on those made by his opponent. For Rogers to land a lucky shot, Fedor’d have to slip up. He won’t. Fedor’s still the best HW in the world until proven otherwise and to say Rogers is even close is foolish, but don’t dismiss this kid.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I’d be shocked if this fight goes longer than three minutes.[/quote]

If it does,I think we will see Rogers gas and get submitted or TKO stoppage. But keep in mind,I only say this after watching Rogers gas in middle of 1st round against “Abongo” Humphrey. That fight lasted way longer than it should have. Humphrey may just be a tough dude,but Rogers was sloppy and tired. Fighters do have there off nights,but you have to take notice of his only fight that didn’t end in a first round KO.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ye0p_ron-humphrey-vs-brett-rogers-strike_sport

Humphrey is a nobody…but I noticed his few shining moments against Rogers. He used good footwork and angles at times. Thus making Rogers move around a lot and not being able to set-up anything…which I think wore him out early. At one moment in the 1st round when Rogers tried to rush him with punches,Humphrey used his momentum against him. He actually got him off-balanced quite a few times.

So imagine Rogers against a fighter who is great in using footwork and angles. And is world-class in controlling his balance/momentum…while being able to get others off-balance. Said fighter also has a knack for quick transitions from those positions. You know who I’m talking about. Just some interesting food for thought. I agree with the majority in that Rogers has a puncher’s chance…I don’t see him winning any other way.

BUT…this is Fedor’s first fight in the cage…an important factor to keep in mind.

Good analysis B_B.

Does anyone feel like, Rogers is being rushed into this fight because he is the undefeated big lion?
More marketable fight, than the few other HW’s in SF?

I’ll give credit where credit’s due. Rogers has a very Tank Abbott style of fighting and there is a place for that in MMA. I believe that as Brett progresses as a fighter, who knows what he can accomplish.

This is so sad.

Fedor really has not fought any one of relevance lately.
Good for Rogers, He gets a crack at the top dog, Hell land a lucky shot or two,
and get submitted or tko’s. What is the suprises.

No surprise with that fight you linked too, he Rogers was breathing with his mouth open at 2 minutes
Says allot about the caliber of fighters he has faced.
That being said he is doing the work in the ring/cage or what ever to win.

kmc

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
BUT…this is Fedor’s first fight in the cage…an important factor to keep in mind. [/quote]

True, but I think the result will be the same with a Fedor victory, probably via TKO,

Rogers Vs. Overreem would be awesome. I’d love to see that. At the same time, I’m cool with Rogers fighting Fedor.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Rogers Vs. Overreem would be awesome. I’d love to see that. At the same time, I’m cool with Rogers fighting Fedor.
[/quote]

It’d be a great test for Overeem. His physical gifts and technique have never been in question, his heart and durability, which are tested against a big slugger, however…

That’s why Fedor vs Rogers makes no sense for me. Would prefer to see Fedor vs Werdum. Werdum on a good day with a good gameplan poses an actual threat to Fedor. I don’t see Rogers posing any threat to Fedor. I see him taking some big bombs and probably being finished off on the ground.

I don’t think much of Overeem. He hasn’t defended his belt and hasn’t fought in the US in almost two years. I don’t think he can be competitive at the top and pass a drug test in the US. Between that and his hand I don’t know if they can get him in the ring anytime soon. I guess after Rogers, Fedor can fight Buentello and then have a mega-fight with Werdum. Snooze. The Rogers fight, as lopsided as it might look, seems the most interesting.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
I don’t think much of Overeem. He hasn’t defended his belt and hasn’t fought in the US in almost two years. I don’t think he can be competitive at the top and pass a drug test in the US. Between that and his hand I don’t know if they can get him in the ring anytime soon. I guess after Rogers, Fedor can fight Buentello and then have a mega-fight with Werdum. Snooze. The Rogers fight, as lopsided as it might look, seems the most interesting. [/quote]

I think Buentello is coming to the UFC. I thought I read somewhere the money to fight Fedor was weak.

Check out the size difference. Rogers is bigger than I thought. Fedor 1st round TKO.

[quote]Count Crotchula wrote:
Check out the size difference. Rogers is bigger than I thought. Fedor 1st round TKO.

There is always a big size difference when Fedor fights. Fedor is only 6 feet tall and a chubby 220 pounds. He could easily make LHW and possibly MW if he really wanted to.

Fedor is not that small. He is about 235 when he is in fighting shape and he has probably more between fights. That is enough for every fighter. Dont forget: Speed kills.

But chitown34 is right, Fedor could make LHW but i see no sense in doing that. When he goes down the opponents get faster and he loses the advantage he relied on most of his career.

Fedor is the greatest. he dominated nearly every opponent for almoust 10 years and he never lost. Someday Fedor may lose just because he got caught. But that says nothing about his credibility.

Rogers is no real opponent for Fedor but he has a punchers chance.