Double Body Weight Bench

Thanks. When I say raw i mean just wearing shorts and a tank top. I don’t know whether other people say it and meant that you can still have your wrists taped or whatever, but I just lift in tank top, shorts and tennis shoes. The only thing that i use as far as gear goes is wrist wraps when i clean heavy.

[quote]FULLSTERKUR wrote:
good lift tvreddy

i hit 530 in a single ply meet @ 276 give or take but the wk and a half before the contest i hit 465 Raw once. so not exactly 2X with or without gear.

question. when you sey “raw” what do you mean. I take it as NO supportive gear. no belt, no wrist wraps, nothing. am I right? or just raw as non-shirt?[/quote]

[quote]Tallman555 wrote:
You know, you’re right. Among the average gym rat, the 300 pound bench seems to be a real watershed weight that divides seperates the beginner/intermediate from the more advanced lifter. This assumes the lifters are male and of something like an average height/weight. That is, almost no one is going to get a 300 bench without at least a couple years at some point in their life under a bar. Given the investment required to hit 300, not many men in the land of treadmills and cybex equipment have hit this mark. In my mind, for most men, three bills means you have paid some initial dues in this- America’s unofficial yardstick of strength.

[/quote]

Well put. Still about twenty pounds short myself, been stuck at roughly this spot for two years, but shoulder injuries didn’t help.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Yeah i know. Like the dude claiming he has only been lifting for 2-3 months and can only like 230 pounds. I call bullshit. Since when does someone with no training lift over 100 kg after 2 months training? Now obviously T-Nation bench numbers will be way above the norm as they are mostly serious lifters but when newbies come in and cry at their weak 230 pound bench, I just have to say what the fuck is going on.

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds. [/quote]

i lifted 100kg in benchpress when I was 15… :stuck_out_tongue: at 80kg bodyweight… people are different, stop whining.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
ConorM wrote:
Yeah i know. Like the dude claiming he has only been lifting for 2-3 months and can only like 230 pounds. I call bullshit. Since when does someone with no training lift over 100 kg after 2 months training? Now obviously T-Nation bench numbers will be way above the norm as they are mostly serious lifters but when newbies come in and cry at their weak 230 pound bench, I just have to say what the fuck is going on.

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds.

i lifted 100kg in benchpress when I was 15… :stuck_out_tongue: at 80kg bodyweight… people are different, stop whining.

[/quote]

i never said i never trained before somehow. i had done pushups like a mad man for years, just never had time or money to go to a gym. if i was lyin id say oh yea i can do over 300 lbs, but the fact is when i first tried maxing on bench 3 months ago i could do about 225, i now do 260. like i said, i used to do alot of pushups and handstand pushups, which prolly helped alot

I am not whining. I am also not disbelieving the case of the true genetically strong people. Yes you might have benched 100kg at 15 years old. HOWEVER you would be a very rare case. When internet numbers are being bandied about you would think that would be some sort of average/pussy number, which is obviously not true. In other words numbers on the internet ON AVERAGE are not to be believed as they will be significantly higher than the true average. Thats not to say I odn’t believe strong people actually exist lol!!!

350 raw/400 shirted at 165
400 raw/500 shirted at 181
430 raw/530 shirted at 198 so far

shooting for 575 in a meet this weekend in the 198 class

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I don’t know that everyone here is a powerlifter, personnally I played college football. But at my gym (the fotoball weightroom) It would be easier to count the people that aren’t hitting 300. Also, I did put up over 300 pounds in high school. Its not impossible, it just seems like everyone is a doubter. You say that 2x bw is a lot for someone who just works out? what about someone who just works out for 1.5-2 hours 4x a week for the past 12 years. Point being that you might just work out to look better or feel better or whatever, but you can still work out hard and try to get as much out of it as possible. As far as the “I benched once and put up 1000 pounds” guys, Screw them, I don’t care. If they have to lie to make themselves feel better, just ignore them and they won’t get their instant gratification, and they’ll go away.

baretta wrote:

haha…hey you would have to be some pussy not to be able to bench 300lbs. Seriously though, at my gym i can count on one hand the number of people hitting 300lbs on a bench, and half of them wear gear to get it. Are most of the people here powerlifters, cus if not, 2x body weight is a pretty hefty bench for a normal guy that just works out.

“i’ve had one workout and can only bench 350lbs, i suck”

[/quote]

Well, if you worked out in a football player dominated gym, then obviously the strength is going to above average. I didn’t knock your ability to move weight, i’m just saying a 2x body weight is a very high goal that not many people will ever accomplish, even taking into account hard work. I weigh approx 185 now, that means I have to put up 370lbs on a bench, which for me (and for most i take it) is a pretty high number that would get a few looks in your average weight room.

i done 120kg at 74kg when i used to bench.

ive never seen anyone in person bench double bodyweight raw, in my life.

is the people benching double bodyweight natural powerlifters or what??

ConorM,

225lbs bench at 15yrs old isn’t that rare. I grew up in a little town in OK. Most of the 9th grade football squad benched over 225 for at least one good strict BB style rep. I know cuz we had pseudo powerlifting meet during the spring and anyone who didn’t press out 225 got a lot of shit.

Why BB-style? Because that’s what the coaches wanted. Just liked all our deads were done with the trap bar. I still think they screwed up my back to leg strength ratio. I exacerbated the issue by reading M&F during my Marine Corps career.

Oh well, gives me something to work on.

Everyone is different. I have done terrible things like get 225 x 10 and then get utterly stapled by 275, let alone 300 (at 185 for those interested). I just recently got 300 at a very heavy and less-than-lean 210. I’m not proud at all. Today was 285x6 at 215. Boo.

130 @ 170 body weight haha (just started a week or two ago)

I think once you break a weight like 300 you now know that you can do it because you have done it. The first time I tried any weight that heavy, it felt bonecrushing. After a few more approaches and finaly some success, it doesn’t feel bad at all. I think that to get past a number like that you have to realize that you whon’t die and your shoulders whon’t(shouldn’t) go kablewie. After that it might as well be just like any other stumbling block.

[quote]ConorM wrote:

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds. [/quote]

My cousin has genetics like a freak. He looked like a body builder the first time he lifted. Within 5 workouts he was pushing 315 for 5 reps. Believe what you want, but some are just built to lift. I on the other hand lifted like 115 after my first month. Granted I was fourteen, but it comes harder for me than most. BTW, he stopped lifting. Go figure, I guess he didn’t have to lift to be the strongest guy on his block, so he didn’t have a motivation. What a waste! It took me years to push 315.

Rolo.

[quote]baretta wrote:
Well, if you worked out in a football player dominated gym, then obviously the strength is going to above average. I didn’t knock your ability to move weight, i’m just saying a 2x body weight is a very high goal that not many people will ever accomplish, even taking into account hard work. I weigh approx 185 now, that means I have to put up 370lbs on a bench, which for me (and for most i take it) is a pretty high number that would get a few looks in your average weight room.[/quote]

I know you weren’t knocking me. My point was only that it is possible. I think though that most people could do it, or come close given enough training, but they just won’t train that hard.

With a couple of good spotters I can do about 400. Maybee some guys need better spotters.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
I think once you break a weight like 300 you now know that you can do it because you have done it. The first time I tried any weight that heavy, it felt bonecrushing. After a few more approaches and finaly some success, it doesn’t feel bad at all. I think that to get past a number like that you have to realize that you whon’t die and your shoulders whon’t(shouldn’t) go kablewie. After that it might as well be just like any other stumbling block.
[/quote]

I think a lot of people may be holding themselves back because of this. A lot of it could be in one’s mind.

I think Charles Staley (or maybe one of the other coaches) was talking about using olympic plates on a bar when checking for some of their client’s 1RM (they one’s who weren’t familiar with olympic weights).

Not knowing what was on the bar stopped them from thinking they won’t get it before they even tried.

Yea, then there is the feeling of being crushed. When a weight is heavier than anything you have ever felt, you know it. Also, I read(probably here) that there is a pain response. I know that I felt it straight to the bones. It took a while to get accustomed to.

275X6 at 200

i will suck until it’s 3X bodyweight.

thats the amazing goal right there. When people claim that, I won’t bitch about people asking for pics, cause i will want to see them just to see it.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
275X6 at 200

i will suck until it’s 3X bodyweight.[/quote]