Deadlifts?

Any time I work DLs hard, I feel it in my hamstrings as well as everywhere else. My bodyfat also goes down and my overall strength goes up. I believe this is indicative of the hormone releasing properties of compound exercises such as DLs and squats. Deadlifts rank right beside squats IMO

thanks for all you advice and info guys, i have learnt more from your posts than most of the stuff i have read. i am going to switch to the deadlifts that in Quests link. i think one the big things when doing that lift is to not let your shoulders be in front of the bar. should i expect to be able to lift more doing them this way or can you usually lift more doing stiff legged

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
Deadlifts rank right beside squats IMO [/quote]

Definately my two favs!!!

[quote]enzo59 wrote:
should i expect to be able to lift more doing them this way or can you usually lift more doing stiff legged[/quote]

You should definitely be able to lift more weight with a conventional (bent legged) DL.

For me, I haven’t had a good workout
unless I deadlift or squat. Deads seem to work more muscles for me than squats and seems to tire me out better. they also seem to stimulate more growth for me than squats.

does everyone do their deadlifts as thier first exercise of thier workout

Speakin’ o’ deads, I was hoping someone could answer this:

Is the dead better as a single long pull or is it reasonable to split it up into 2 pulls?

The reason I ask is because I have extremely long legs for my height and I seem to pull from the floor by straightening my legs and then yanking back with my lower back. I’m concerned that this creates a weak spot mid pull as I transfer stress from legs to lower back.

When I tried it as a single motion it felt smoother of course, but my hamstrings started complaining. That tells me that the way I do it (2 phase) is introducing a weakness.

Thanks for any advice.