Can't Keep My Arch During Squats

+2 on the sitting back. break at the hips first. another issue is the lack of an arch. you probably have a weak lower back. add good mornings to your program.

actually redo your whole program. what does this mean:
“Squat: Pick a weight I can’t do 3x5 and stick with it until I can do 3x5, then move up next squat workout”

not quite what a progression is.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
+2 on the sitting back. break at the hips first. another issue is the lack of an arch. you probably have a weak lower back. add good mornings to your program.

“Squat: Pick a weight I can’t do 3x5 and stick with it until I can do 3x5, then move up next squat workout”

not quite what a progression is.[/quote]

Definitely agree on the weak low back. Where should I add in good mornings? I want to maintain my single leg strength because some of mike boyles stuff makes sense to me, even though he uses BSS and I use reverse lunges. The main goal right now is to squat 405lbs to set me up for jumping higher.
And what I meant was lets say on monday I use 300lbs and get 3x(4,4,3). Then saturday I get 3x(5,4,4) Then the following monday I get 3x5. That’s when I add weight to the bar.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]matsm21 wrote:

not quite what a progression is.[/quote]

Definitely agree on the weak low back. Where should I add in good mornings? I want to maintain my single leg strength because some of mike boyles stuff makes sense to me, even though he uses BSS and I use reverse lunges. The main goal right now is to squat 405lbs to set me up for jumping higher.
And what I meant was lets say on monday I use 300lbs and get 3x(4,4,3). Then saturday I get 3x(5,4,4) Then the following monday I get 3x5. That’s when I add weight to the bar.[/quote]

I’ve read the Mike Boyle stuff too. Seems like a pretty cool “I’m different” idea from him but there are some problems:

1. He says the core fails first so, the squat is limited by your core strength. Instead of fixing the problem by getting the abs and lower back as ungodly strong as possible, he just uses a different exercise? Not cool. No one ever did anything worth talking about by using some back-assward thinking like this.

2. The amount of anabolic hormonal releases of having a heavy ass bar on your back are unparalled to any other exercise (except heavy ass weight in your hands). Lets drop some logic on this one, you use one leg so you will probably be at about half your squat weight once your form gets solid. That most likely means half the testosterone, gh, and all the other awesome shit squatting triggers.

3. You want to jump higher. Unless you want to jump higher on one leg, squatting should DEFINITELY not be substituted by one leg anything. Max speed is a direct result of max strength (anyone who says different has never been strong and/or never read “Supertraining”). Jumping is very fast. So, you need to be strong to do it.

Also, look into depth jumping with weight, knee jumps, seated box jumps, and all of the variations of those exercises if you really want to work on the explosive stregnth needed to jump a little higher and squat a little more. Imagine how much higher you could jump if you could go from your knees to your feet with a 315lb bar on your back. I don’t know exactly what the carryover would be, but I am guessing it would be a lot.

I’m not against unilateral training and all, it is good for developing weaknesses and injury prevention. As far as being a primary lift for the day instead of heavy squats or pulls, thats just lazy.

Great post STB!

I love when storm the beach posts in threads, always good feedback and informative.

In my opinion it isn’t exactly necessary to have an arched back. A neutral back is great, I’ve never been able to really get a huge arch in my back…but when I squat it stays neutral…I do sometimes get hip tuck but I’ve squatted 405x15 and have had no problems. I think it comes mostly from when my hips/quads/everything gets too tight from a lot of volume in my squats it seems this happens much more, if I do no stretching daily.

I have the same problem. Would high box squats help this? with progression to a lower and lower box as hamstring strength and arch improves?