Books u like

big nate; I’ve read so much Vonnegut its gluttonous…Sirens of Titan, Galapogos, Breakfast of Champions, SL5, Cats Cradle…those are the ones I can think of. Slaughter House Five and Cat’s Cradle are my favs. Once you get through 100 years of Solitude give A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings a look…its a short story, pretty interesting. I think that the ending of 100 yrs is one of the best literary endings I’ve encountered. Oh yeah, and if you can avoid reading The Ambassadors by James, do so.

I enjoyed Lance Armstrong’s book. Some good fiction works are Stephen Hunter’s books about an ex vietnam sniper. The first is Point Of Impact, next is Dirty White Boys, Black Light, and finally A Time To Hunt. All the books tie together. He also wrote Hot Springs, just out in paperback.
Some others are Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and the Lord of The Rings series by Tolkien. Jerry Ahern wrote a great series called the survivalist. It was a post apocalyptic scenario.

Anyone have any suggestions for books that have a “covert ops” type theme - spy’s, assassins, etc? Along the lines of Ludlum?

bodygaurd; I don’t know about Ludlum, but if you’re looking for a spy/conspiracy novel, pick up Libra by Don DeLillo. Its a fictionalized account of the life of Lee Harvey Oswald and the conspiracy to kill JFK. Its a brilliant work.

I love fantasy…Dragonlance mostly…swords, magic and stuff grin and big beefy warriors. I also have gotten into ‘pulp’ mystery and sci-fi lately. I read to escape the world (and fall asleep), so I’m not much into deep life-altering stuff right now. I just finished Red Dragon (sorry Chris, the ending sucked!)

Michelle- Yeah, not exactly a happy ending is it? Will Graham is mentioned briefly in “Silence”, but they don’t say much about him. BTW, on your advice, I picked up “Hannibal”. Pretty good so far. Better than the movie.

I would have to agree with “Choke”, I just read that book about a week ago and it was absolutely incredible. I love a lot of the previous authors such as Vonnegut, DeLillo, and Palahniuk. It’s cool that not only do those writers share a similar mental paradigm, but so do the T-men bookworms on this thread. Very cool! I absolutely love anything by Hemingway, and would recommend any of his works. I think you guys would enjoy Sports Literature (I know that sounds like an oxymoron), and “Endzone”, (a football-themed book by DeLillo), “The Celebrant”, (considered one of the greatest novels about sports of all-time), and “Crooked Little Heart” (a story about a girl growing up playing tennis) are all highly recommended.

You know, I re-read Friday Night Lights not to long ago. It’s the story of one season of High School football for the Permian Panthers in Odessa Texas. It is excellent, both as a look at high school sports and athletes and at our sports orientated culture. (ok, now it sounds kinda lame, but it’s very worth the read)

Chris - it was just a dumb ending. The car switching stuff just got way too far-fetched. Though her feeling that guy's eyeball was major nasty!!! I think he got stuck and 'tried too hard'

The Harry Potter series. I’m f’n pissed the new one won’t be out for a while. I also just finished “The Dirt”, Motley Crew’s autobiography, pretty depraved.

"MB Eric: Literarily Literate, literally. Since 1453."

-Eric

Bodyguard - About any of the books by Tom Clancy should satisfy the spy/covert thing for you. dp

Bodyguard - Try David Morrell & John Le Carre.
Elizabeth George writes fantastic murder mysteries.
Also “The Watchmen” by Alan Moore is a graphic novel [i.e. a long comic book] that is first class.

Blood Meridian

The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Sure its not like most of the other books mentioned, but if you can apply just a few of the concepts(not just understand but really apply) you will kick ass throughout life. Its taken a few years for all of it to really be applicable but I’m finding that its turned me into one shrewd s.o.b.

Char-dawg, right on! Wilbur Smith writes some of the best old-fashioned adventure stories I’ve ever read. I’m just finishing up “Eye of the Tiger” (think Indiana Jones at sea) and highly recomend any of the Courtney saga, especially “Birds of Prey”.

Bodyguard, if you want a "covert ops" type of book taht is based in fact, check out "Rogue Warrior" by Richard Marcinko. The guy basically spent the latter half of his career as a Navy SEAL breaking in to various military installations throughout the world to test their security and anti-terrorist capabilities. I also stole my handle from the guy, 'cause friends tell me I look like him. Not sure if is a good thing, though.

Thanks for the suggestions :-). “dp,” I probably should have said that I’ve covered Clancy but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

As an english grad, I was “forced” to read many great works. (It actually wasn’t until I graduated that I had the time to re-read most of them at a more pleasuarable pace.) My favourites are (yes-a “U” in favourite, as Molson would say I am Canadian!)

6. "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. A must read for Apocalypse Now fans, this absorbing short story is one of the darkest examinations of humanity I have ever read.

1. “Moby Dick” by Herman Melville. OK, stop laughing. This book is truly a masterpiece.

2. “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding. Sense a pattern in what I like? Another dark look at humanity juxtaposed against the innocence of childhood.

3. “MacBeth” by William Shakespeare. Forget Hamlet, this is Shakespeare at his bloody best. After 400 years has anyone had more influence upon modern literature than Shakespeare?

4. “The Sun Also Rises” by Ernest Hemingway. I read this book during scool, and re-read it a week before I went to Europe. Hemingway’s lazy description of Paris and Madrid in the 20’s is absolutley beautiful, complete with romantic patio cafes and roaring bullfights.

5. “Ishmael” by Daniel Quinn. Hey Chris, you must read this one. As an english teacher, you’ve probably read dozens of books that some grey haired prof told you would change your life but fell woefully short. This book legtitimately changed the way I look at modern culture and our role on the planet as human beings. I still think about this book frequently. (No, not in between sets, but you get the idea.)

Anything by Stephen Ambrose - he’s by far the best history writer of our time (and I’m a big history buff). I’m also reading Richard Branson’s autobiography right now, called “Losing my Virginity,” which is quite interesting.

1. Musashi: by Eiji Yoshikawa. The story of Japan’s most famous samurai, Miyamoto Musashi. This book is THICK, and it gets confusing at times because of the Japanese names, but its a worthwhile read because this man completely dedicated his life to mastering the sword. Which is the type of dedication we all should have to the iron.

2. In The Heart of The Sea: the Tragedy of The Whaleship Essex.: by Nathaniel Philbrik. The true story of 19th century whalers whose boat was sunk by a pissed off whale thousands of miles from home. A great story on how far man can be pushed physically and mentally and still survive.

3. The Ghosts of Manilla: The Fateful Blood Feud Between Muhamed Ali and George Frazier.: by Mark Kram. If you worship at the throne of Ali, you ain’t gonna like this book, which strips away the myths and shows Ali for what he really was.

I’m in the middle of Concrete Mathematics by Graham, Knuth & Patashnik, and generatingfunctionology by Herb Wilf. Both are all about the math behind computing, but it’s still good math.