Alpha's Work II

Kross: nah man, much like the voices, the Gwen Stephani impressions stay in my head.

Rizza: hey man, great to hear from you! Thanks for coming by!

=====================================

“Discipline is remembering what you want.”

-David Campbel

02April2010: training

Insert:

25 Burpee Pull-ups
10 70lb DB Turkish Get-ups
25 Burpee Pull-ups

Strength: Giant sets: 1a, 1b, 1c, rest 1 minute repeat

1a. BB Back Squats 335/5, 365/5, 405/5, 455/3, 505/1
1b. Weighted Semi-supinated Pull-ups: BW+ 90/5, 100/5, 115/5, 115/4, 100/5
1c. 5 Sets of 10 V sit-ups

2a. BB Front Squats: 275/3, 275/3, 295/3, 315/3
2b. Weighted Dips: BW+ 135/5, 180/5, 190/5, 200/5
2c. 4 Sets of 8 hanging leg raises

Extract:

25 Burpee Pull-ups
25 Burpee Pull-ups

Notes:

-The Insert/extract is one heck of a workout in itself…Try just that on your next GPP day and have a bucket nearby to catch the projectile Vomit!!! Add the strength and it made the day…Challenging to say the least!

-Squats felt pretty good, but I can tell my legs were tired from all of that jumping on the burpee pull-ups, as well as the rest of the week. But working up to 505 for a single is not bad at all for not going heavy for a while.

-Weighted Pulls were tough between the Bupree pull-ups and the like 200 dead hang pulls ups I did two days ago, but it was good to push them. I didn’t go really heavy because i was feeling the fatigue, but it was good to have some weight around me again.

-i just started doing front squats again and am trying to find my grove again, that’s why they are kind of light. Give me a little time and you will see this number gain like 100 lbs…

-weighted dips. i haven’t done these things in FOREVER! but they felt pretty good. I have always been strong on dips, no idea why. If I do them unweighted, I get bored before I get tired. 4 plates and 2 10’s wasn’t bad for the first time doing them in so long…

Overall:

This. was. hard.

i recommend it to everyone!

Side note: a guy in the squat rack next to me wrapped his knees with ace bandages, put on wrist wraps, cinched down a huge belt, and proceed to do box squats on a regular height bench (Without touching it BTW)…with a whopping 135 on the bar.

He watched my 505 without a belt and hitting below Parallel and said that I was going to hurt myself if i keep going that low and not wearing a belt…I smiled and said thanks…I feel a rant coming on…

BRING IT! I knew it wouldn’t take long.

Mateus: soon my friend, soon…

Just ran 5 miles slow to moderate pace and did some stretching for active recovery…

[quote]Alpha wrote:

Side note: a guy in the squat rack next to me wrapped his knees with ace bandages, put on wrist wraps, cinched down a huge belt, and proceed to do box squats on a regular height bench (Without touching it BTW)…with a whopping 135 on the bar.

He watched my 505 without a belt and hitting below Parallel and said that I was going to hurt myself if i keep going that low and not wearing a belt…I smiled and said thanks…I feel a rant coming on… [/quote]

I feel ya man today some ass was curling in the ONLY squat rack on base. I rode the bike and just stared at him until he vacated.

BTW- Have you always gone beltless?

You’re not gonna start chanting are you?

[quote]Alpha wrote:

Is it bad that in order to spell “bananas” correctly, I need to sing along to that lame Gwen Stephani song that plays in my gym all of the time…

[/quote]

Yes, this is bad, I believe listening to that music can actually cause you to go blind, but Id have to find the study ;)!

Nice work in the gym and in your documentation here. Your organization and attention to detail (good goverment saying) with this log exemplify the type of mentality it takes to be successful in the gym, and as well as in life. Plus, its very motivating!

My only question, you say you dont count calories, and looking at your meals most dont seem to be calorically dense, do you just eat massive amounts at each sitting? I have counted calories to the T for the past 12 weeks and found it to be pretty worthless for the average guy like me, surely has its place for some though. Do you have an idea how much you are going to eat in any specific day, or just eat when you are hungry and until you are satisfied?

Alpha, I noticed that you always have some ab/core work in your workouts. Some people decry ab work, and others swear by it, and those that do do ab work generally don’t do it at what looks like every work out. But anyways, I was wondering–what is your rational behind this?

Awww yeah, I remember one quote by you:

“Success is a habit, unfortunately so is bitching out. If you are cutting out those last few reps of squats, or not getting in your energy systems work, or Just plain ole’ sucking at life, you are teaching yourself you continually repeat those actions again and again. Break the cycle, stop making excuses and just get out there and get it done.”

I’ve been suckin at life, so I restarted a log and am going to use this quote as the cornerstone. Will be following Alpha.

Sorry i haven’t responded to all of you till now. I just got back in country and didn’t have much internet service till now. I will post some workout stuff I did later, but for now I want to get some of these questions answered for you guys. Thanks so much for reading and asking!

Rizza: Yeah man, I have never used a belt for anything ever…Not sure if I’ll ever start. Thanks for stopping in!

WhiteFlash: Hey Man! It is awesome to hear from you!!!

smithers: Thanks for the kind words man!

When it comes to my diet I simply eat clean, and pretty much as much for it as I want. Unfortunately, because of my situation i have to do protein shakes pretty often in order to keep my intake up…I never have any idea of how much I will eat in a day, and often because of my Situation with work and travel, my plans get messed up often. But I always pack back-up stuff just in case, so that if I can’t fins better options, I won’t have to rely on what is provided to me. i hope this answers your questions. Thanks again!

Ninny mouse: I have always done a lot of ab stuff with fighting and stuff so it take a lot for them to get fatigued, and they rarely ever get sore. really i started doing them like this as filler between my sets in place of resting to make my workouts harder. I supposed that I why they are still in there, it is just now part of giant sets. So in short…because it makes my workouts harder…I never set aside time for direct ab work. Hope this helps. Thanks for stopping in and asking a question!

That one guy: Glad to hear it man! i will be checking your log man, live those words man, you will be a better man for doing so. Good luck and thanks for the kind words.

Holy shit its Ryan Bader!

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:
Holy shit its Ryan Bader![/quote]

What??? Am I missing something? I don’t get it…

Ryan Bader is a UFC fighter. Thanks for the log.

Your videos on youtube are amazing. You have been training for 8 years. What did you start out lifting.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

What??? Am I missing something? I don’t get it…[/quote]

Dude, I’m in Alexandria. We should totally hit the gym. Actually, no lifting this week and eatin like a fool. I don’t know how people actually live inside D.C.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

What??? Am I missing something? I don’t get it…[/quote]

From your profile pic, you kinda look like Ryan Bader man.

I think that’s a compliment? :smiley:

Ginger Spartan: Thanks for the kind words man, I definitely appreciate them! As far as your question, I think you are asking How much weight I was able to lift in the beginning? if so, not a whole lot! i remember being in 10th grade and not being able to bench 135lbs!

I specifically remember the first day trying because all of my friends already could and I had to start with the 25lb plates on each side…But I have always been naturally kind of strong from being so active and training/conditioning with fighting stuff.

i hope this answers your question, if not ask again, sometimes it takes me a while to understand…I have been hit in the head a whole lot!

Mateus: Yeah man, i would love to, but I am actually no where near DC really. i would eat a bullet if i lived there as well. i need space! It’s country or nothing for me my friend! thanks for stopping in!

Ninja: Oh sorry man, thanks for explaining! I checked out his homepage and there definitely is a resemblance. he must be Irish or Scottish as well. Which means he must have to hide from the sun just like me…Stupid sun, nourishing all living things…it just makes me darker shades of Pink!!!

Thanks everyone for checking in, and for leaving such great comments on my Youtube page. Sorry i don’t respond over there, it just is easier to focus most of my online attention over here…But i do see them and appreciate them!

=========================

" The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
======================== ========================
Some training stuff from overseas and the past few days:

03April2010

No gym access so did the following 6 rounds with a minute rest between rounds:

6 Rounds:

20 Burpees
20 Sit-ups
20 Push-ups
20 Squat Jumps
20 Air squats

Then did 10 40 yard sprints.

04April2010

Rucked 8 miles with a 50lb pack

05April2010

Insert:

15 Front squats 135lbs
15 Weighted Dips 90 lbs
12 Front Squats 135 lbs
12 Weighted dips 90 lbs
9 Front Squats 135 lbs
9 weighted dips 90 lbs

Strength/metcon: With as little rest as possible

100 Pull-ups
Run 1 mile
100 BB Bench Presses 135lbs
Run 1 mile
100 BB Sit-ups
Run 1 mile
100 40lb DB overhead Press
Run 1 mile
100 BB Squats 225*

• On the Squats I set a stop watch, and at the top of every minute I would re-rack the bar, drop and do 10 push-ups and 5 squat jumps, then get back under the bar and continued…until i finished all 100 reps.

there was no chance of running after the squat set…So i stretched and cooled down.

Notes:

this may not look like a lot of work…but it was enough to just about kill me. Everything started out so easy and light, but by 50 the burning in your forearms and lungs is horrible.

i racked the bar and rested as little as possible, but it was pretty hard. Good way to push through mental barriers though.

i hope all of you had an awesome Easter!

Thanks for keeping this thing going while I was away…I’m afraid all of you may have to be doing that more than either of us would like in the future…

Running is hard…

1 Like

[quote]Alpha wrote:

this may not look like a lot of work… [/quote]

No, it looks like a lot of work!

Im sorry if you have explained this in your past log, but do you always train like this? I mean, all your training sessions seem focused on crossfit type training (no offense), yet you still have some serious strength and some good mass.

Smithers: well, I am lifting this way because what I am preparing for requires some pretty sick strength endurance…I usually do more strength and power stuff than I am currently doing, but still, i have always done things differently than the majority of people on here…mainly because I always use giant sets and very little rest.

If i was going to train like a body builder or even power lifter, I would change how I lift…but that’s not where my focus is.

Like I have said before, different things work for different people, but EVERYONE could use more intensity and mental focus in their training, and those are two things I pride myself upon and hope to inspire others to achieve…this is just the path I am on right now…IMO crossfit should be used as a warm-up or cool down. The real strength comes in the middle…

Damn that workout sounds seriously brutal. Badass.

Alpha how fast does it take you to do a three mile run. I take it the course you are preparing
for requires you to run with weight on your back, if so what are your goals. Your circuits are sick,
most ppl struggle doing bw circuits, the feeling is totally different than lifting weights. How did
you get your pullups so strong, the most i have ever been able to do is 16 overhand in one go and
that was considered excellent where i was. How fast is your mile runs in your circuit. How many pushups
can you do in two minutes. Sorry for the questions, i like the style of training your doing because
it is functional while you still continue to lift heavy weights.

Thanks

Sam