Why Drive > 80mph?

I’m sorry, but no one with the Flash as their avatar is allowed to advocate going slow for any reason.

[quote]makkun wrote:
I think this is the first time ever that I fully endorse an idea coming from Headhunter, but yes, there’s really not much reason to build and drive fast cars.

Driving fast is dangerous, is bad for the environment and costly. Also, continuous traffic at lower speeds is indeed less prone to jam.

And - no, I don’t want to take away anyone’s sport, but that belongs on race tracks, not the streets.

So ‘yeay’ to Headhunter … words I’d never expect to write. :wink:

Makkun[/quote]

Haha, I almost choked on my tea… :slight_smile:

Makkun

[quote]thesixteenth wrote:
I’m sorry, but no one with the Flash as their avatar is allowed to advocate going slow for any reason.

makkun wrote:
I think this is the first time ever that I fully endorse an idea coming from Headhunter, but yes, there’s really not much reason to build and drive fast cars…[/quote]

[quote]Nate_0_raid wrote:
Dude, this is T-Nation, T… Testosterone.

What you should be asking is, “Why does the governor kick in at only 100 when my speedometer goes to 140?”

Stupid safety things.[/quote]

Well…In my book a T-man isn’t somebody who think with his balls only and disregards the safety of other people just for his own amusement.

Your definition might be different though.

[quote]Mr. Moose wrote:
Nate_0_raid wrote:

What you should be asking is, “Why does the governor kick in at only 100 when my speedometer goes to 140?”

Stupid safety things.

Well…In my book a T-man isn’t somebody who think with his balls only and disregards the safety of other people just for his own amusement.

Your definition might be different though.[/quote]

Agreed. Most of the people posting to this thread sound like T-boys, not T-men.

80 MPH really isn’t that fast. It’s about the average moving rate of traffic in (non busy hours of) Southern California.

[quote]dswithers wrote:
It is actually safer, by a huge margin, to drive on the German Autobahn, where there is NO speed limit and people routinely drive 140+ MPH, than to drive on the US Interstate Highways where the speed limit is limited to 65 MPH.[/quote]

Bingo. It’s also MUCH harder to get your driver’s license in Germany. The problem isn’t people driving too fast. The problem is all the idiots that don’t know how to drive; switching lanes w/out looking, getting in the fast lane & going slow, not knowing how to merge, etc. Slamming on their brakes everytime instead of just letting off the gas (this one is huge & causes a chain reaction, watch it).

[quote]Mr. Moose wrote:
Nate_0_raid wrote:

Stupid safety things.

Your definition might be different though.[/quote]

Just because we drive fast doesnt mean we disregard the safety of ourseleves or others. I’ve never pushed 140 mph with the intent to run over anybody or wreck in general.

I do drive 140 because I can. After driving an 81 Chevy truck for last 12 years I finally bought an 06 Mustang GT. The difference in handling and performance between the two girls is phenomanol. 85 was the top end for driving my old Chevy. After 25 years of advancing automotive technology is 80mph as fast as people can drive safely? Not me. I prefer to let the road dictate my speed not the troopers. If the weather is clear the the road is open then I’m putting the hammer down.

If I have the facilities, the skills and the vehicle to drive faster than normal, then why not? Can’t wreck anybody if you’ve passed them all.

The standard non rush hour flow of traffic in the 2-4 left lanes here is about 80. Everything runs fine as long as everyone chooses lanes according to speed. The problems emerge when some asshole decides that they’re going to be the limiter of freeway speed by moving out of the slow lanes and still going 65.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
dswithers wrote:
It is actually safer, by a huge margin, to drive on the German Autobahn, where there is NO speed limit and people routinely drive 140+ MPH, than to drive on the US Interstate Highways where the speed limit is limited to 65 MPH.

Technically, there is… you’ll get a ticket on there if you’re driving faster than the rating on your tires, but I digress…

I’ve heard that stitistic before, about safer on the autobahn… do you know why?[/quote]

The Autobahn is well designed and is better maintained because there are far fewer miles of Autobahn than there are on US roads per tax payer.

The Autobahn has a speed limit in the cities. It is only in the countryside where there is less traffic and fewer on-ramps that they have no speed limit.

Almost all drivers on the Autobahn stay in the right lane and let the really fast Mercedes have the left lane. People do not cruise along at 60 MPH in the left lane on the Autobahn.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Why should a human being need to squat 900 pounds? Why diet down to a bodyfat of < 3%? Why put on plastic pads and beat the crap out of each other for money?

The answer to these is the same as the op’s question: Because it’s cool and because we can.

That’s why I have a motorcycle. You reach nirvana when you hit 120mph on an open stretch of road.

When you run over some kid who springs up out of nowhere, does he reach nirvana too? How cool!!!

[/quote]

Why would a kid be playing on an interstate highway?

Sounds like he should be taken out of the gene pool.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

In Kansas- pedestrians are prohibited on the freeway. So, if you DID hit a kid that SPRANG up on the freeway, you would actually be helping out some, because the state troopers don’t patrol the freeways, (but they DO patrol the mcdonalds at the rest stops), so they wont catch the little law breaker.

However, adding a cattle guard to the front of your pickp is advisable.

…I prefer chrome. MUCH easier to clean the blood and Abercrombie gear off.[/quote]

Chromed cow catchers on front of trucks. I can see it catching on in Kansas.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
makkun wrote:
I think this is the first time ever that I fully endorse an idea coming from Headhunter, but yes, there’s really not much reason to build and drive fast cars.
So ‘yeay’ to Headhunter … words I’d never expect to write. :wink:

I know exactly how you feel. I totally agree with headhunter for once. Too many people die on the roads for no reason at all except some dipshit wanted to save a few seconds.

[/quote]

Recently, near here, a pregnant mom dropped off her 7 year old at school. While she was turning off a 4-lane, a guy came around a curve doing 70 in a 50 zone (all because he was in a hurry, you know) and killed the woman and baby.

Now picture having to tell a 7 year old little girl that her mom died because someone thoughtless jerkoff didn’t want to be bothered with speed limits or being a responsible T-man.

Being a T-man means being responsible for your actions. Anyone who drives fast for their thrill or because somehow speed limits weren’t designed ‘for them’ is NOT a t-man. He’s just an irresponsible and thoughtless punk.

[quote]Jesse22 wrote:
dswithers wrote:
It is actually safer, by a huge margin, to drive on the German Autobahn, where there is NO speed limit and people routinely drive 140+ MPH, than to drive on the US Interstate Highways where the speed limit is limited to 65 MPH.

Bingo. It’s also MUCH harder to get your driver’s license in Germany. The problem isn’t people driving too fast. The problem is all the idiots that don’t know how to drive; switching lanes w/out looking, getting in the fast lane & going slow, not knowing how to merge, etc. Slamming on their brakes everytime instead of just letting off the gas (this one is huge & causes a chain reaction, watch it).[/quote]

My drivers ed teacher said if you need to use your brakes on the highway you usually did something wrong to put yourself in that situation.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Chromed cow catchers on front of trucks. I can see it catching on in Kansas.[/quote]

It’s quite common in my part of hell, aka the Texas Panhadle.

People race their cars on the weekends at tracks so thats why. Think about the 60’s muscle cars. People who purchased a GTO, Buick big block, Trans AM, ect. took those cars out to the tracks on the weekends to drag race.

Although the tracks have moved to the streets in recent years thanks to rice burners, people still love to race and always will.

Hell i drive a Nissan Xterra thats been modified so I can race off-road if I want.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Recently, near here, a pregnant mom dropped off her 7 year old at school. While she was turning off a 4-lane, a guy came around a curve doing 70 in a 50 zone (all because he was in a hurry, you know) and killed the woman and baby.

Totally irrelevant in a discussion that ostensibly is about cruising at 80+ mph on a freeway.

I doubt anyone here advocates reckless and irresponsible speeding as described in your post.

…[/quote]

But if would have had a governor on his car preventing him from going above 80 MPH he would the accident would have been prevented somehow!

I’ll assume that those extolling the virtues of the German autobahn have never driven on one. Whether or not it is statistically safer, I can tell you that it’s a hell of a lot more stressful.

First of all you have the speed issue. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with people driving fast cars, but I do have a problem with pulling into the outside lane to overtake someone who’s doing 90, getting alongside them, and then have some ass in an Audi A6 doing 130 suddenly appearing in my rear view mirror flashing his lights and basically saying “If you don’t move I’m going to drive into the back of you”.

Of course, you don’t have anywhere to go because the guy doing 90 has decided to speed up, because he doesn’t like being overtaken by a car that’s smaller than his…The problem isn’t speed, but the large discrepancy between the slowest and fastest drivers.

In addition, German road builders appear to have skipped class on the day they covered such things as camber (it rains in Germany and the whole road turns into one giant puddle, rendering lane markings invisible and increasing the chance of sliding into a ditch by 500%. Not that this stops the ass in the Audi A6…)

Coupled with terrible lighting, the total absence of cats-eyes, baffling signposting,and some of the worst intersection design I’ve ever seen, I sometimes wonder how on earth we get anywhere alive.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Agreed. Most of the people posting to this thread sound like T-boys, not T-men.[/quote]

Most of the people posting in this thread who are in agreement with Headhunter sound like people who have absolutely no understanding of moderation or the modern technology in cars.

If you don’t understand ESC, you shouldn’t even be allowed to postulate an opinion in this thread. Yes, someone going 90 around a bend in a public street is a fucking retard. More importantly, a speed limit on a 4 lane highway of 55 or 65 today is so stupid as to be dangerous. People who think you have to limit speed via some kind of universal vehicle speed limiter through adaptive cruise control are far and away the stupidest of them all, however.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Mr. Moose wrote:
Nate_0_raid wrote:

Stupid safety things.

Your definition might be different though.

Just because we drive fast doesnt mean we disregard the safety of ourseleves or others. I’ve never pushed 140 mph with the intent to run over anybody or wreck in general.

I do drive 140 because I can. After driving an 81 Chevy truck for last 12 years I finally bought an 06 Mustang GT. The difference in handling and performance between the two girls is phenomanol. 85 was the top end for driving my old Chevy. After 25 years of advancing automotive technology is 80mph as fast as people can drive safely? Not me. I prefer to let the road dictate my speed not the troopers. If the weather is clear the the road is open then I’m putting the hammer down.

If I have the facilities, the skills and the vehicle to drive faster than normal, then why not? Can’t wreck anybody if you’ve passed them all.[/quote]

That makes perfect sense!! You’ve the past 12 years driven a truck that max out at 85 and because of that you have the skills to drive at 140??

Yeah, right.