Why Drive > 80mph?

[quote]ninearms wrote:
I’ll assume that those extolling the virtues of the German autobahn have never driven on one. Whether or not it is statistically safer, I can tell you that it’s a hell of a lot more stressful.

…[/quote]

I have driven on it a few times and enjoyed the hell out of it but no significant rain driving. I could see that that would be an issue.

While I agree with HH that 80 is too fast for a school zone , I do not think it or 100 is too fast for some conditions . I think common sense goes a long way. But if I have a pet peeve about driving it is the idiot that is having a 60 mph drag race with his neighbor in the lane next to him. I wish I had a cannon mounted to the top of my truck, or the device that the predator had mounted on his shoulder. You can see a vehicle miles ahead of you slowing traffic down to a crawl because he does not know how to use a free way system or just does not care .In Arizona we call time spent in your Car a time Tax. Many people spend hours a day commuting.

What if i’m being chased by a carload of stoned high school kids throwing gummy bears at my windshield, i’ll have to have a car fast enough to get out of harms way.

[quote]Raven3606 wrote:
What if i’m being chased by a carload of stoned high school kids throwing gummy bears at my windshield, i’ll have to have a car fast enough to get out of harms way.[/quote]

I think it would be really cool to be stuck at a red light at 2 in the morning, have some jackasses attempt to carjack you, try to drive away…only to find that you can’t speed up very fast because of institutionlized speed limiters recently installed in your car.

If there are alot of cars on the highway…then my speeding is limited FOR the reason that other people are around. 80-90 on open stretches are safe.

When NOBODY is around, have at it, your not going to hurt anybody but yourself if you fuck up.

It should just come down to your surroundings basically.

And if you wanna drive slow, stay the fuck outta the left lane instead of using it as your cruising lane. And stop tapping your break when somebody two hundred yards in front of you changes lanes. Mother fucker.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Head Hunter,

Have you considered moving to China and becoming a citizen? [/quote]

Actually, after I retire in about 15 years, I plan on moving to China and being a volunteer teacher of Mathematics and English. The Chinese are a great people (I have an adopted daughter from there).

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Recently, near here, a pregnant mom dropped off her 7 year old at school. While she was turning off a 4-lane, a guy came around a curve doing 70 in a 50 zone (all because he was in a hurry, you know) and killed the woman and baby.

Totally irrelevant in a discussion that ostensibly is about cruising at 80+ mph on a freeway.

I doubt anyone here advocates reckless and irresponsible speeding as described in your post.

BTW, what were the circumstances and what culpability did the woman have? Did she make a bonehead move that precipitated the accident or was 100% of the responsibility that of the speeder?

As is often the case in life there are two sides to every story.[/quote]

She was turning right into her sub and was in the lane to do that. The guy who killed her came across two lanes OF THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD, out of control, and hit the driver’s side door at top speed.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Raven3606 wrote:
What if i’m being chased by a carload of stoned high school kids throwing gummy bears at my windshield, i’ll have to have a car fast enough to get out of harms way.

I think it would be really cool to be stuck at a red light at 2 in the morning, have some jackasses attempt to carjack you, try to drive away…only to find that you can’t speed up very fast because of institutionlized speed limiters recently installed in your car. [/quote]

Prof,

You’re a huge muscular guy, no doubt. Instead of the cycle, why not try MMA for your ‘nirvana’?

I’m simply asking and not trying to flame you. I get way more hyped from sparring than I do from driving.

Hell, lay an elbow on some dude’s face and pretend its me! Might save some kid’s life…

Raven3606 wrote:

I think it would be really cool to be stuck at a red light at 2 in the morning, have some jackasses attempt to carjack you, try to drive away…only to find that you can’t speed up very fast because of institutionlized speed limiters recently installed in your car. [/quote]

Or, in kansas, You blow the guys brains out the back of his skull because of having a concealed carry permit. Then you put along at ten miles an hour because cars are dangerous at high speeds.

I love this state.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

She was turning right into her sub and was in the lane to do that. The guy who killed her came across two lanes OF THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD, out of control, and hit the driver’s side door at top speed.

[/quote]

Going 70 in a 50 zone would not cause you to lose this kind of control. There is more to the story.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Raven3606 wrote:

I think it would be really cool to be stuck at a red light at 2 in the morning, have some jackasses attempt to carjack you, try to drive away…only to find that you can’t speed up very fast because of institutionlized speed limiters recently installed in your car.

Prof,

You’re a huge muscular guy, no doubt. Instead of the cycle, why not try MMA for your ‘nirvana’?

I’m simply asking and not trying to flame you. I get way more hyped from sparring than I do from driving.

Hell, lay an elbow on some dude’s face and pretend its me! Might save some kid’s life…

[/quote]

People get their kicks in different ways. MMA ain’t fun for everyone, and fighting is way different than cruisin on motorcycle, which is possibly one of the coolest fucking ways to spend a warm spring night.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Prof,

[/quote]

You have obviously never owned a motorcycle. It is nothing like driving a car. I can’t stand driving. Riding on the other hand is a completely different experience. Your false concern for some imaginary kid who plays on interstates is getting old quick.

You are beginning to sound like a politician exclaiming we should, “save the children!”. It is funny how saving all of these children always takes away more freedoms from adults whether they have kids or not. I suppose your proposed 70mph speed limit will save lives left and right…because it is “speed” alone that kills…not drunk driving, stupid driving, old people driving, or anything like that…just speed.

Reasons to drive above 80mph

-being late
-emergencies
-because it is fun when you have a fast car

Headhunter wrote:
Prof,

You have obviously never owned a motorcycle. It is nothing like driving a car. I can’t stand driving. Riding on the other hand is a completely different experience. Your false concern for some imaginary kid who plays on interstates is getting old quick.

You are beginning to sound like a politician exclaiming we should, “save the children!”. It is funny how saving all of these children always takes away more freedoms from adults whether they have kids or not. I suppose your proposed 70mph speed limit will save lives left and right…because it is “speed” alone that kills…not drunk driving, stupid driving, old people driving, or anything like that…just speed.
[/quote]

I’m simply in favor of people having their fun w/o hurting anyone else. Can’t you use a little imagination and find something where only you are put at risk?

People do stupid things. I suppose a drunk or cracked out idiot driving 80 is pretty dangerous. Why give 'em the capacity to go faster?

Sidenote: Funny how you had all this concern for the victims of Katrina but little concern for people right around you, while you achieve Nirvana. At least be consistent in being uncaring.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Going 70 in a 50 zone would not cause you to lose this kind of control. There is more to the story.[/quote]

According to the story in our local paper, he simply kept going straight, across the 2 opposite-direction lanes and nailed her.

Wierd things happen with cars. I was following my wife on a curvy road when her van’s engine suddenly dies. Not 2 or 3 seconds later, a woman drove HER van straight across in front of my wife and hit a utility pole or something like that. My wife and son probably would have died if the van had not. My wife’s van never did that before and never did again.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

[quote]keaster wrote:
Reasons to drive above 80mph

-being late
-emergencies
-because it is fun when you have a fast car
[/quote]

Being late, emergencies (call an ambulance), and fun are not good reasons to endanger others. Try base jumping — and remember, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again. :slight_smile:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Prof,

I’m simply in favor of people having their fun w/o hurting anyone else. Can’t you use a little imagination and find something where only you are put at risk?

People do stupid things. I suppose a drunk or cracked out idiot driving 80 is pretty dangerous. Why give 'em the capacity to go faster?

Sidenote: Funny how you had all this concern for the victims of Katrina but little concern for people right around you, while you achieve Nirvana. At least be consistent in being uncaring.

[/quote]

You are a flaming idiot but we all know that by now. Let’s see, REAL victims of Katrina vs some imaginary kid that likes to play on interstates that you made up to act as if simply because I admit to have gone fast in the past that this means I drive over children. Gee, I wonder which one deserves more attention.

Also, state law states that drivers MUST yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Assuming that speeding is the only crime a person is committing, as long as they stop for crosswalks, then the only people they would hit would be jaywalkers.

And jaywalking is probably one of the most committed, least punished crimes in America. Hell, you could almost think of speeders as being volunteer police.