Who Grows a Fruit/Veg Garden?

They could at least eat the weeds! Lazy slackers.

Give it some lubricant :wink:

So, the bad news: Onions ended up starting flowers, so I had to pull them.

Nonions

They were planted out of desperation about 7 weeks ago - starting to sprout in the house waiting to be used, so I broke them down and planted the bulbs just thrown in the bare dirt - so I didn’t have the highest of hopes. Still, would’ve been nice to get something decent from them.

The good news: I got a new toy the other day. A hori hori garden knife. Played with it for an hour or so, mostly popping up dandelion roots. Like Jim Bowie said, stick it in, then twist to cut the heartstrings (or roots. Whichever).

The blade’s center is kinda concave so it works like a shovel, inch markers on the blade for measuring depth when planting (or length, for the brave), serrated/saw blade and a decent straight edge, twine cutter/bottle opener, and reinforced pommel for hammering. It’s got some good heft to it and feels solid. Looking forward to using it a ton.

2 Likes

Picked first tomato and 5 yellow squash last evening.

1 Like

We had yellow squash with dinner last night. How do y’all cook it?

I thought onions were a two year plant that bulbed the first year and flower/seed the second year using the bulb energy.

But I also thought green and red peppers were somehow the same so :man_shrugging:

That knife (barebones ultimate?) is dope and I was thinking about getting one too

Aw man, don’t tell me that. I was reading around and saw that they should be harvested as soon as the flower things appear on top because it’s the same as bolting and means they won’t end well. I had started them from one of these, not from just seeds, if it matters.

[not my pic]

Ha, yeah, that’s the exact one. It was out of stock everywhere I looked, so I finally checked right on their site, saw it in stock and cheaper than anywhere else, snagged a first-time customer promo code and ordered it right away.

Turns out it was less expensive because it’s just the knife, no sheath. The sheath can be ordered separately (or they can be ordered together) and that’s what’s out of stock. Whoops.

Ha well I had just read a thing on the internet after my onion went the same as yours, so I dont speak from experience. Who knew onions could be so mysterious

Yeah, they’ve got layers.

4 Likes

Forgot to post: made my wife an elevated garden bed for mother’s day.

Built the frame

Added 1/4” hardware cloth

Finished with landscape fabric and soil/miracle gro

Got some veggies and herbs in there already.

3 Likes

I usually plant onion sets. The green ones or bulbs work fine.

I have left some in the garden and they always turn out like yours. I have grown them from seed but that takes some patience.

They should be ready in 3-4 months.

2 Likes

I think the squash is a little too happy

1 Like

Thanks, was hoping you would shed some light on onions

1 Like

2 Likes

Robbed a few taters for lunch.

Got 4 raddishes today!
Everything is out! Now to wait for some food to grow. Raddish and some salade are almost ready.

1 Like

And is why we never count our chickens before they hatch.

That sucks, CL! Do you think the squashes (or anything) will recover?

Most of it will pull itself back up and be okay. There are some that are broken. Just super happy the hail was small and didn’t last long.

Well the next 2 days are near freezing point. The garden got his winter suit on.:cry:

1 Like