Whats some way to prevent injury,is it possible to not get injured lifting a long long time?

I have heard people saying that they have been lifiting for over a decade,lifting so heavlily even and never get injured before.Are they not telling the truth and chosen to forget about the injuries or is it actually possible and they are just meant to be natural lifters.For average joe who likes lifting and lift heavily,whats some way to actually prevent injury as being injured is the worst thing that can happen for any lifter or sportsperson generally?

They’re telling the truth based on what they perceive as injuries. Most people who actually want to accomplish something don’t let what most people call “injuries” stop them. Though sometimes they do and are unavoidable. People who worry about injuries, and assume they are going to be injured, get “injured” much more frequently.

Injuries might happen; they might not. The statement:

is ridiculous. I’ve had more broken bones, dislocated joints and surgeries than the average person. You just deal with them and move on. I’m consistently reminded and amazed how many people base all of their decisions on the fear of getting hurt.

It’s a shallow life that leaves no scars…

III

4 Likes

i get that.Just like driving a car or sitting an aeroplane there is always a risk of dying or accident,what i am trying to put across is injury which is bad enough will stop you from reaching your goals.Also right is that everyone perceive of injury is different just as everybody goals of lifting is different,especially if there is money involve which is true if your injury do need surgery to resolve faster or slower

Well its possible that they never been hurt.
Deepends on your definition of a injury. You can be talking about as simple muscle strain or a complete tendon rupture.

Allot of factors play into ones possibility of suffering a injury. The reality training ( weight)in general has a pretty low injury occurances compared to allot of other physical pursuits.

Well then, I guess I would say that the stronger your body is, the less susceptible it is to getting injured. So my advice would be to get really big and strong.

III

1 Like

Pretty much anyone I know of at the top of any sport has had injuries to deal with of various seriousnesses… Part of being the best is the attitude and mentality to deal with setbacks and somehow keep moving forward.

Some people may have different definitions of injuries, some people may feel more resillient than others. Ultimately it doesn’t matter as long you’re pushing yourself they are kind of inevitable occasionally. Most injuries in the gym are luckily extremely minor but still enough to get people to give up.

Some people have been lucky to avoid anything too debilitating for any amount of time, but when I get talking to the strong older guys I really respect, there’s pretty much always a few stories to tell.

There are things we can do to lower our chances, but complete prevention is impossible to predict and account for.

Use proper technique in your exercises. Especially, bracing in squats and deadlifts. Don’t use weight you can’t handle safely.

1 Like

Once you hit 50 you can hurt yourself getting out of bed.

5 Likes

No joke. People get worried about injuries from training, but when you’re training you’re braced and ready for impact. I’ve blown out my back reaching awkwardly for a pair of shoes.

1 Like

A like wasn’t enough - great post

1 Like

Usually dudes get a little worn down and beat up before they get injured.

So, its important to take your foot off the gas before you wreck yourself.

To avoid problems you can give your training plans a “beginning” and an “end.” That way you know how to pace yourself and you can get all the gains and then back off the intensity before disaster.

Lots of good lifters plan/work in 6 or 12 week chunks where they ramp training up and then bring it back down to avoid problems.

4 Likes

If they never get injured, they are not trying hard enough.

1 Like

There’s some truth to that.

2 Likes

This definitely has an upper limit. You can get your muscles too strong for your bones, ligaments, and tendons, regardless of how good your form is.

1 Like

I’m assuming by the question even being asked, that this guy will not reach this limit…

I dedicate about 15 min to a dynamic warmup before each workout and an extra 30-45 min every night to mobility work.

It is heavily focused on functional range conditioning (PAILS, RAILS, CARS, etc.) It is mostly focused on hips, thoracic spine, and shoulders.
I do a bit of breathing/bracing practice as wellI as the occasional soft tissue work with the theragun or lacrosse balls as needed.

Beyond that I have regular visits with a few different therapists. One who specializes in dry needling and another who does manual therapy specializing in Stecco method for fascial manipulation.

2 Likes