Sleep & test dose

I’ve been on 100 mg IM, Test E, 2X weekly for about 5 weeks to determine if it would ease my depression. I’d been experimenting with lower doses and injection frequencies but not feeling it. Out of desperation, I went to that dose. As you know, I have treatment resistant bipolar illness, C-PTSD and caring for my wife who has Alzheimer’s. The positive is that at the end of week 2, I noticed improved mood, as well as reduction in anxiety and less reactive to stress. The negative is that I’m finding my sleep quality, already poor, has gotten worse, requiring me to take more prescribed sleep medication, which produces more side effects.

Now I’m back to consider lowering my dose, which didn’t produce a noticeable response, or going to a weekly injection, under 200 mg. This is always my story; Something initially works or improves my QoL and then the old Cosmic banana peel. Thank you all. I always enjoy reading your insights and thoughts on the many aspects and facets of TRT. Hope you’re all doing well.

2 Likes

Can you timeline this whole process? Getting your hormones to “settle in” takes months of consistency. Anything you feel for a week or two may change just due to your body adjusting.
I think the resistant bipolar might be the fly in the ointment for much positive mental change due to better test levels. Assuming it is not controlled?

1 Like

Your hormone levels haven’t even reached a steady state, let alone your body hasn’t adjusted to the new hormonal set-point.

Patience is key!

2 Likes

Initially higher doses make me feel better until they don’t once everything is settled. I assume it’s the initial stages of strait T way over represented compared to everything else, until estradiol creeps up or some deficiency in another hormone down the chain becomes more apparent, I don’t know the reason.

1 Like

What time of day do you inject? I used to have poor sleep if I injected in the evening, probably not a psychological thing, but I tend to do early in the day now just in case (although after 7 years I now find it doesn’t matter if I do inject later in the day), but a minor thing that might have some small impact.

1 Like

Haven’t gone for labs. Want to wait another month, since my urologist ordered comprehensive labs a few months ago. But it’s the only thing that’s changed. I’m reluctant to change it, first, because I wanted to give it 8 to 12 weeks and, generally, feeling better than I’ve felt in years! My wife and I are even messing around, LOL. Even with Alzheimer’s she’s still, at the moment, interested in sex. I’m definitely more affectionate with her since increasing T. Once again, have to be a lab rat!

Yes. That’s why I don’t want to switch gears. The reduced quality of already poor sleep, though, is countering the benefits I’m deriving. You were on clonazepam for many years and finally got off of it. It’s the only drug I ‘tolerate’ and have for sleep. I hate it but even my psychiatrist reminds me that’s all I have. Considering getting evaluated for a medical mj card. I would love to be finished with benzos.

True, not controlled. Treatment resistant. As for T, on and off for years, working with an experienced urologist. He understands that I’m a difficult patient to manage and is always ready to work with me to see if we can find the necessary balance.

Morning. Used to inject in the late afternoon; 6, 7 p.m., but find a better response with a.m. injection.

1 Like