SimpleProgress

BJJ Technical Class and Boxing 1:1 with sparring.
Tabata style workout
Farmers Walk - 2 x 20Kg bells 30secs on and 10 sec rest, 8 circuits.
Front loaded Walk - 2 x 20Kg bells 20secs on and 10 sec rest, 8 circuits.
Overhead Carry Walk - 2 x 20Kg bells 15secs on and 15 sec rest, 5 circuits.
Heavy slam ball Carries - 40Kg ball - 30secs carry 30secs rest, 5 circuits.

Calf raises 250 reps with 2x20Kg kettlebells. I really need to work on my calfs - their virtually non-existent. Will try to look for some programs to help.

3 Likes

Pretty common complaint with most men I think! Hill sprints, sled pushes and running will also help. There’s a bloke I work with who does marathons and his calf’s are like watermelons.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately i’m a bit limited with equipment & space. I train in the garage, which allows me to keep an ear out for the kids if they cry in the night. So I can’t really go running & I dont have a sled.

As a solution - I could probably do some running on the weekends though, after breakfast - leaving the kids with the wifey for half an hour. My BJJ gym has a sled - but the space to push is limited to about 5-6m. So I’ll try to work with that, but not sure how effective it will be.

Currently my plan is to get to 500 calf raises with my two 20Kg bells over the next few weeks.

1 Like

You may be aware of this but apparently loaded stretching of muscles are particularly hypertrophic, so try being slow and controlled with the eccentric all the way to the bottom, then explode up. It helped me anyway, my calves were basically nonexistent too. Another thing that I believe has helped was walking with barefoot shoes (greater range of motion due to lack of heel lift, I guess) and doing hill walks or runs on my toes. So not just a forefoot strike with the heel touching the ground lightly, but actually being up on the toes for (say) 400m on a fairly steep incline.

I wasn’t aware of loaded stretching. Will apply this to my calf workout. All this talk about calfs has made me decide to do some calf work tonight :grinning: I was going to rest. But I can do some calf work.

1 Like

4th June 2024

BJJ Class - technical with some hard grappling.

Calf Raises 280 reps with 2 x 20kg bells. This is my second day in a row of calf raises and my hamstrings are tight.

3 Likes

I don’t want to fearmonger, but I’ve had a lot of achilles issues the last couple of years after doing hill runs too frequently. Think the problem was that I went from doing them three days a week to daily within a short space of time. Tendon load tolerance takes longer to adapt than muscles, apparently.

You may want to consider ramping up the frequency of calf training sessions over time rather than suddenly doing lots more than before. Tendinosis is no fun at all and proving quite tricky to rehab on my own.

1 Like

@amaeland - thank you dude. Point noted.

1 Like

A quick early workout today. Travelling latter half of this week again.

Workout Wednesday 5th

Bench Press - 3 Reps at 50Kg, 58Kg and 65Kg.
Final set 11 Reps at 50Kg.
39 reps over several sets at 32.5Kg.
For the last 50 reps I did super sets with TRX rows for 50 Reps.

20Mins Superset:
Barbell Curl 17.5Kg - 50 reps
Reverse Curls 17.5Kg - 50 reps

I increased my barbell curl/reverse curl weight from previous workout. I managed to do it with relative ease. But will stick to the current weight for a few more weeks and then increase.

3 Likes

Early morning workout today. I felt quite refreshed despite the extensive travel over the last two days.

531:
Squat 3x3 @ 80, 92 & 102.5Kg. Fourth set at 80 kg 20 reps. Followed by a further 30 reps at the same weight. I supersetted this with burpees for 50 reps.

Bench 3x3 @ 50, 58 & 65Kg. Fourth set at 50Kg 15 reps. Followed by a further 35 reps at the same weight. I supersetted this with 24Kg rows for 50 reps.

GN KBM workout 3 of week 6. This was painful - my lungs were on fire.
Seven sets of complexes with 90 secs rest in between, Each set comprising of 5 reps of each cleans, press, front squat, push press & squat. Once again performed with 2x20Kg kettlebells.

This completes the first part of GN KBM program. On to the second half…fun times ahead.

3 Likes

Man, I really don’t envy you that GN KBM program :joy: Just one set of 14 clean and jerks with a single 16 kg (did this yesterday) is exhausting. Guys like Denis Vasilev have the maddest conditioning, imagine 231 jerks in 10 minutes with 2x24 kg :open_mouth:

2 Likes

231 jerks in 10mins…bloody hell. That is amazing and very strong to. I’m going to look into Denis Vasilev. But that is some power and fitness.

I also have to say that I think the only reason I’m coping with the GN KBM is because I was doing BJJ/Judo/Boxing atleast 4 -5 times a week up until recently. And in all honesty i still struggle with that program. Its pretty hard core. In all likelihood I will have to repeat the program several times before I can step upto the 24kg kettlebells.

2 Likes

9th June 2024

Tabata style workout today:

50 reps of barbell curls @ 17.5Kg
50 reps of reverse barbell curls @ 17.5Kg
300 reps of calf raises.
200 dips

3 Likes

10th June 2024

Hard BJJ session yesterday rolling with some real heavy weights,

11th June 2024

And again another hard bjj session today. Rolling with strong man competitors who weigh 130+Kg is hard work, especially when their backs are so wide I can’t pin anything. My fingers are aching.

Once again can’t attend Judo class tonight, family commitments. This makes it the 3rd week in a row I have not been. Will aim to go on Thursday night.

With my hands/grip fatigued I am going to go crazy and do my deadlift workout tonight and try to do my Tabata carries style workout if the weather allows. Global warming has only resulted in colder/wetter summers in England.

1 Like

Evening workout: press 531 workout. I couldn’t bring myself to do the deadlift.

Press (Olympic barbell weight not included)
3 reps @ 40Kg
3 reps @ 46Kg
3 reps @ 50Kg
6 reps @ 40 Kg
44 reps @ 30Kg over several sets.
I paired my last 50 reps of press with lateral raise @ 10Kg dumbell.

My forearms were burning and I could motivate myself to do any more carries.

280 reps calf raises @ 2x20Kg Kettlebells.
70 sit ups - got bored!
3 sets of 3 reps of pullups. I’ve stated this before I really need to do something about my pull up numbers.

2 Likes

Technical BJJ session in the morning.

Evening workout: deadlift (Weight of bar not included).
3 reps @ 87.5Kg
3 reps @ 100Kg
3 reps @ 112.5Kg
10 reps @ 87.5Kg
40 reps @ 62.5Kg
Last two sets completed within 20mins, I supersetted these final 50 reps with 24Kg kettlebell rows.

Pull-ups 3 sets of 2 reps – appalling.

TRX workout with 20Kg weighted vest:
100 reps Face pulls
100 reps Rows
100 reps Reverse Flyes

I then repeated the final workout from GN KBM week 6, as I hadn’t written down what week 7 workout 1 would encompass. This was 7 sets of 5 of each exercise: Cleans, Press, Front Squat, Push Press & Front Squat. 90 second rest in between each complex.

My final workout of week is squat. I will give myself a days rest and squat on Friday.

3 Likes

Early morning squat workout today.

Squat (Weight of bar not included)
3 reps @ 80Kg
3 reps @ 92Kg
3 reps @ 102.5Kg
20 reps @ 80Kg
15 reps @ 80Kg
10 reps @ 80Kg
5 reps @ 80Kg

500 calf raises
50 weighted vest lunges (20Kg vest).
Weighted Pull ups 5 x 1rep
Bodyweight Pull 3 x 3 reps

TRX Sit ups 3 x 10reps
TRX Hip Thrusts 3 x 50 reps
TRX Plank 3 x 1minute
TRX Atomic Twist 3 x 8 reps

After work/kids bedtime I will aim to do 10K on recumbent bike tonight. This is the most boring exercise ever - I look forward to it!

3 Likes

Saturday 15th June

I focused on some sandbag carries and throws yesterday. A very late evening workout.

10Kg Sandbag carries 50meters x4 (Over each shoulder twice).
30Kg Sandbag carries 50meters x4 (Over each shoulder twice)

60Kg Sandbag carries. Approx 50 meters. I wasn’t able to lob this on to my shoulder. I think the bag is too big and awkard. But I will persist.

8 throws with each arm with 10kg bag - unfortunately bag tore! But its taped up and it lives.

8 throws with each arm with 30kg bag.

2 Likes

Sunday 16th Workout

GN KBM workout 1 week 7
3 complex sets with 5 reps of each: high pulls, Cleans, Press, Snatch, Front Squat. 120second in between each set.

Barbell Curls 50 reps 17.5Kg
Barbell Reverse Curls 50 reps 17.5Kg

From tomorrow I begin my final week of my current 531 cycle.

2 Likes

Liking the look of these workouts. Quick question - why don’t you include the weight of the bar when listing squat loads? Just curious