Milk: Good or Bad?

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
What came first, the milk or the egg?[/quote]

Oh man it’s been a long time since I had a good cow egg. They’re so much more satisfying than chicken eggs.

I’ve read that many people (especially non-caucasians) are lactose intolerant. And that lactose intolerance sometimes develops as people get older. And, to complicate things, there can be varying degrees of lactose intolerance.

So anyway, if milk makes you bloated and gassy, don’t drink it. Otherwise, it’s yummy.

And then a few unlucky bastards have milk protein allergies. They’re just doomed.

[quote]KyleT wrote:
Drink the milk pussy! It’s good for you.[/quote]

x2

Stop questioning everything, go out and try it and see how it works, you menstrual cycle of a man.

Fuck. There are 10 year olds at my gym ( with a trainer doing their own thing ) who aren’t this pussified, it’s milk, just drink it, I have about 2-4l of choco milk EVERYDAY, i’m not fat, but i am getting great gains, not to say it’s due to the milk, but the extra Calories and Carbs help a fucking ton, so stop going on forums and asking questions and go out and try it ya ball juggler.

also, i like that grass fed idea, might switch over, thanks to who ever suggested that.

What animals do you people have? if I put milk in my dog or cat’s bowl they will drink all of it. Actually my dog will eat anything edible, socks, slippers, garbage. I don’t think I’m basing my diet around what he would eat.

Bears will eat day old raw garbage meat, you’re telling me when they see milk they say “aww fuck that, that’s not good for you.” I guess they can take salmonella and everything else but that lactose boyyy that’s a real killer.

[quote]KyleT wrote:
Drink the milk pussy! It’s good for you.[/quote]

Mmmmm. Milk poured down a bald pussy into my open mouth. Now that has to lead to some bulking… and if not, best experiment ever.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]toocul4u wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I don’t drink milk for the sole reason that no other animal drinks milk when they reach adulthood, especially from another species.[/quote]

I’m with you on this one.[/quote]

No other species lifts weights and drinks whey shakes either, is that bad?

I’m really not defending (or attacking) milk consumption, I haven’t studied enough into it to come up with any conclusion other than “See if it works for you”; yet I can’t really agree with logic like this.

Maybe the reason other animals don’t drink milk into adulthood is because they would get attacked by the female? Or possibly that they are now big enough to kill their own food, so they just don’t care anymore?
[/quote]
Their bodies can’t handle milk when they reach adulthood.[/quote]

That’s news to me, do you know why?

I realize that the enzyme Rennin is produced in calves for milk consumption and that it is not produced in full grown cows; but humans can produce lactase.

Do all other organisms follow this Rennin pattern, and lactase is a human-specific enzyme? (Hell, even the existence of lactase in adults has to suggest something about dairy consumption)
[/quote]
I don’t know quite why. All I know is that my cat suddenly stopped harrasing me for my cereals. :frowning:
No, seriously, it’s probably enzymes. They don’t really need to rely on milk when they grow up and can catch their own pray- like somebody posted prior to me- so they change.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
I’ve read that many people (especially non-caucasians) are lactose intolerant. And that lactose intolerance sometimes develops as people get older. And, to complicate things, there can be varying degrees of lactose intolerance.

So anyway, if milk makes you bloated and gassy, don’t drink it. Otherwise, it’s yummy.

And then a few unlucky bastards have milk protein allergies. They’re just doomed.[/quote]

this only occurs because the pasteurization process destroys the lactase enzymes that are naturally found in the milk. once again, every logical argument against the consumption of milk only applies to commercial milk. when the milk is organic, unpasteurized, and from grass-fed cows, you can’t logically argue against it.

[quote]oinky222 wrote:

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

And then a few unlucky bastards have milk protein allergies. They’re just doomed.[/quote]

this only occurs because the pasteurization process destroys the lactase enzymes that are naturally found in the milk. once again, every logical argument against the consumption of milk only applies to commercial milk. when the milk is organic, unpasteurized, and from grass-fed cows, you can’t logically argue against it.
[/quote]

Ummm, I don’t think milk has lactase enzymes in it.

If they did, would lactose even exist? Or would milk just be a serum of galactose and glucose?

And I can still logically argue against it, I call it ‘milk allergy’ or ‘lactose intolerance’. :slight_smile:

[quote]facepalm1020 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I will not consume milk because I deluded myself to think that milk is bad for us, because other animals don’t drink milk of others species, and I am convinced we shouldn’t either. I base this decision on my perfect logic argument below:

Other animals don’t = we shouldn’t.
Humans = exact same as other animals. Amazing.

Yeah, animals don’t drive cars, don’t have electricity, BLAH BLAH BLAH. This is all stuff humans are manufacturing, but it has nothing to do with how nutrition affects us. We are no different than any other animal, besides the whole conscience thing.

[/quote]
You, sir, are an idiot. Whether a particular human body will benefit from milk in some way has nothing to do with any other random fact or coincidence. You watched some horrible documentary and now think you have all the answers because you heard a couple of nifty one-liners with no scientific basis.

Humans can consume milk and there are pros and cons, like any other food. There’s nothing special about your observation. Milk is composed of atoms of elements that that bind to form chemicals, and when they enter our body, it can use them. Our body will not simply flip some switch and self-destruct because it somehow knows what other animals are doing and we therefore we shouldn’t do it either. I can’t imagine why you would tell other people that you made such a poorly thought out decision.

Also, humans ARE different from the rest of the animals. All species are unique.

Also, animals having a conscience is well documented. So we’re similar to animals in this way.

Congratulations, you were the exact opposite of correct.[/quote]
Documentary? I don’t know what you are talking about, you can continue to insult me or we can discuss this like adults. Did I ever say that our bodies just reject milk? Obviously we don’t, but I don’t think it is BENEFICIAL for us (edit: most people) besides the energy it contains. And yes, all species are unique, but we are also very similar, too. For example, embryology, vestigial structures, and vertebrate forelimbs (picture attached).

Why do you think there are so many lactose intolerant people? Over most of the course of mankind we didn’t need to be drinking milk after infancy. Cows were only domesticated a few thousand years ago, and so many people don’t have the enzyme lactase to breakdown lactose. However lactose intolerance won’t be a problem in the very far future (many thousands of years) as humans continue to drink milk; we’ll adapt to it, our genes will change: it’s evolution.

Edit: we’ll adapt to it if it affects our survival (natural selection), which it doesn’t, so actually lactose intolerance will probably increase.

[quote]oinky222 wrote:

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

[/quote]
It is my understanding that humans have the lactase enzyme, coded from the LCT gene.

I love milk and still drink it even though I’m cutting. I’m not doing a zero carb diet so why would I care about the 25 carbs that come from a pint of milk. Why does everyone bring this up when milk is discussed in a conversation about getting leaner. People have gotten ripped on lowfat diets. Skim milk is perfect for this. I can see if you’re drinking a whole gallon, but why cut milk out completely when your losing weight?

Milk is cheap, full of protein and tasty. If you’re not lactose intolerant and like the taste then I don’t see why you would avoid. I got to a 315 bench in 12 months. I “blame” milk.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I love milk and still drink it even though I’m cutting. I’m not doing a zero carb diet so why would I care about the 25 carbs that come from a pint of milk. Why does everyone bring this up when milk is discussed in a conversation about getting leaner. People have gotten ripped on lowfat diets. Skim milk is perfect for this. I can see if you’re drinking a whole gallon, but why cut milk out completely when your losing weight?

Milk is cheap, full of protein and tasty. If you’re not lactose intolerant and like the taste then I don’t see why you would avoid. I got to a 315 bench in 12 months. I “blame” milk.[/quote]

Cus this guy says so

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:
I always heard milk RAISED testosterone, due to unsaturated fat.
GOMAD-Gallon of milk a day deffinately works.

I’m also with PB Andy on animals not drinking milk when they reach adulthood. Maybe we shouldn’t either. But as long as it does not hurt us, but aid us… Why not?[/quote]

Uh, set a bowl of milk in front of a grown cat and see if they drink it. [/quote]
Obviously they’re gonna drink it, it tastes good. Domesticated animals don’t really count since we are the ones giving them milk.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

I’m also with PB Andy on animals not drinking milk when they reach adulthood. Maybe we shouldn’t either. But as long as it does not hurt us, but aid us… Why not?[/quote]

Uh, set a bowl of milk in front of a grown cat and see if they drink it. [/quote]
Obviously they’re gonna drink it, it tastes good. Domesticated animals don’t really count since we are the ones giving them milk.[/quote]

So basically animals dont drink milk because they dont know how to get it, not because they dont want to drink it.

Everyone has some degree of lactose intolerance. We’re designed to drink milk the first maybe three… four years of our lives. If you didn’t touch milk again after that, you would be totally lactose intolerant by now.

Mammals produce less lactase as they age. If you consume dairy regularly, you can keep your lactase levels up, making it possible to stomach it. But still, I have a hard time believing that something that is basically 8-12% problematic, can be “good” for you.

[quote]oinky222 wrote:

[/quote]

Where are you getting this? The only place I ever find this stated is by raw-milk advocates. Lactase is an enzyme produced in the digestive systems of mammals. Can you show a scientific reference pointing to is occurring in milk? (And why would it occur in milk, when baby cows make plenty of it on their own?)

There are numerous studies debunking the idea. I’m sure raw-milk, organic milk is healthier than the alternative, but that doesn’t mean lactase is present.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Everyone has some degree of lactose intolerance. We’re designed to drink milk the first maybe three… four years of our lives. If you didn’t touch milk again after that, you would be totally lactose intolerant by now.

Mammals produce less lactase as they age. If you consume dairy regularly, you can keep your lactase levels up, making it possible to stomach it. But still, I have a hard time believing that something that is basically 8-12% problematic, can be “good” for you.
[/quote]

I believe it is “good” for me. It has a good amount of protein, calcium and vitamin D. I like the taste of it, have no problems digesting it and it has helped me gain muscle mass and strength. I think these properties of milk make it “good” for me. I don’t feel any worst after drinking a pint of milk then I do after drinking a pint of water.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

Obviously they’re gonna drink it, it tastes good. Domesticated animals don’t really count since we are the ones giving them milk.[/quote]

Damn, you’re still going to defend by this "animals don’t drink milk so we shouldn’t argument? You are one stubborn mofo lol.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

I believe it is “good” for me. It has a good amount of protein, calcium and vitamin D. I like the taste of it, have no problems digesting it and it has helped me gain muscle mass and strength. I think these properties of milk make it “good” for me. I don’t feel any worst after drinking a pint of milk then I do after drinking a pint of water.
[/quote]

When something is that problematic for your body to digest, I wonder how much of the good stuff really makes it in. Yes it has protein, fats, vit-D, calcium (although if it’s not organic, there’s a good chance it has crap in it that cancels that out). But if you can’t absorb the lactose, does that mean it’s actually “low-carb”, or does that mean your body spends so much time/effort just getting it through your body that you don’t get much of the nutrient out at all?

I wish I knew how this all worked a little better. But I tend to try and shy away from things I know my body isn’t setup to deal with.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

So basically animals dont drink milk because they dont know how to get it, not because they dont want to drink it. [/quote]
Makes sense. I never argued otherwise (I don’t think?).

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

Damn, you’re still going to defend by this "animals don’t drink milk so we shouldn’t argument? You are one stubborn mofo lol.
[/quote]
Most shouldn’t… if milk works for you, hey I’m not going to tell you otherwise. I wouldn’t say I’m stubborn, haha, I just find this topic interesting.