Jerky: Recipes And Techniques

I’d like to re-learn how to make beef jerky, to have a ready supply of travel snacks when needed.
If you’ve made it, share your recipes or any tips and tricks please!

When I was a kid, I’d buy a cheap cut of brisket (you know the ones; huge, unweildy, inconvenient hunks with a lot of fat on them). Per pound, fairly cheap.
I’d cut out a pan full of slices (don’t remember the grain orientation or size) and soak 24h in a marinade that especially included vinegar, but featured basically the whole spice rack.
Then I’d skewer each slice on a toothpick and hang them from the top rack of the oven.
I’d set the oven at 200 or whatever the lowest it could go is (<100 C), propping the door open a crack to let moisture out.
Hours later (again no memory of details) it would be done. I’d store without refrigeration until it was all gone.
Very likely at that time I thought toughness was a desirable feature to make it last longer.

Now I’d have 2 goals: preservation (a week at room temp) and cost (low).

Any suggestions?

1 Like

A lot of the Canada geese I shoot end up as jerky. I’ve actually never done it with beef. I just have one of the cheap 4 tier circle jobs for a dehydrator a buddy gave me. Does the trick. I usually marinate it for 24 hours in something (not too picky). I have found if you resauce everything after it’s about half way done, the flavor is way better.

2 Likes

Leaner meat works better. So anything that people complain tastes dry when cooked, like top round, is better. Buffalo or venison are also good choices, if you have access to them.

Cut across the grain (nobody likes eating a dry meat rope) into strips about 2 inches wide, 8 inches long, and 1/4 inch thick. I saw you mentioned clesius, and did the conversion so if you prefer metric it would be 5 cm, 20 cm, and 6 mm.

Good plan. You might want to include Insta Cure No. 1.

I do a wire rack on a sheet tray. 200 f is good. It takes about 2 hours to get 90% done.

After that I put it in my smoker and cold smoke at 90 f for 15 minutes. If I want more smoke flavor, I’ll just let it sit longer without heat. It will get kind of bitter if you leave it too long.

If it’s kept sealed in a bag or container this will keep for 2 weeks at room temp, or a month refrigerated.

You can also toss the raw meat in the marinade and freeze it. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight when you need it and continue the process. This is good if you want to have everything ready to go in batches, different flavors, or if the weekend catches up with you.

Anyway, hope that all helps.

2 Likes

I use lean cuts to prevent fat oxidation.

I personally don’t cure jerky because I won’t be storing it for long.

I season to taste basically. Sometimes an overnight marinade, sometimes a rub. I pick a flavor I want and go for it. A go to for me is often soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and red pepper flakes.

I personally smoke jerky vs air drying or using an oven. I prefer a mix of post oak and mesquite.

2 Likes

I made it and sold it for a long time but got too time consuming… kept it very simple. Was a huge hit

London broil…liquid smoke, cracked black pepper or garlic teriyaki and red pepper flakes… no sugar, not overly salted, kept it fairly moist.

1 Like