Getting a Flu Shot? Watch This Video

i’ve not seen anything like that. it really almost looks fake.

woops double post… but to save it

how does the “benefits WAAAAY outweigh the risks” getting the flu isn’t like being diagnosed with cancer. A healthy individual that takes the proper actions will survive the flu perfectly fine

I’ve never trusted doctors nor ever had a flu shot and I’ve always been good. It’s just a way to make money.

She’s still hot though, totally be with her.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
To back up Vegita, not that he needs it.

How to not get the flu/sick:(In no particular order)

1)Stay active - immunity
2)Eat well - immunity
3)Sleep
4)Take your vitamins/fish oils etc.
5)Wash hands before you grab/eat food
6)Don’t put things in your mouth such as pens, pencils that often people chew on.
7)Stay away from people who are sick

Tried to make a 10 list but really is this new news to us? [/quote]

To back up Vegita? I’m not seeing Vitamin D usage on there anywhere… What you are recommending is straight out of the science-based approach to avoiding the flu. The flu vaccine is simply another tool in that arsenal, it is proven effective, and proven safe( again, in the VAST majority of people, much safer than if you actually get the flu or simply driving a car). Of course its just another option, just like any of the other ones on there. You can CHOOSE to go to crowded areas, but you are putting yourself at risk, just like with the shot.

The problem with the reporting on the vaccines is that you get one heart breaking case of a girl who starts walking backwards, but you dont get 40,000 individual news stories of people who DIE from the flu.

Yeah, while we’re at it, fuck MMR, TB, Hepatitis, and DTP DT Dtap!

Because vaccinations are for suckers!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Vegita wrote:
http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pres/

Watch this presentation.

Also as anecdotal evidence for Vitamin D preventing the flu, we can look to a couple factors. Namely, exactly when does the flu season start? It’s not to say there is no flu when it is out of season, but the infection rate is very low. The flu season is directly opposite of when natural Vit D production is highest. It hits when many people do not naturally make VIT D from the sun. Also Flu typically does not hit regions near the equator.

You can do what you want, but don’t tell me I am irresponsible. Just because you want to believe in the propoganda of the flu vaccine, does not make me stupid. I don’t get the flu shot and have yet to die from the flu. Pretty amazing I can take such a risk eh?

V

No such thing as anecdotal “evidence” … Just anecdotes. The plural of anecdotes

I dont have time to watch the full presentation, but I am well aware of the vit D deficiency that is currently happening, although you seem to be much more up on the data than I am at this time, so I wont pretend to know more about its effects than you… Although from my experience these things tend to be over hyped (vitamins and such being “cure alls”)

The stats from the CDC at this time are absolutely useless, considering “flu season” is barely starting. Not to mention some of the regions are already at 50%. Wait a few months and see if your 70% holds up so well.

No one is selling the flu vaccine as absolutely without risks… They are just so ridiculously low it makes no sense to speak about it as equal as not getting the shot. The benefits WAAAAY outweigh the risks when you compare populations, obviously individuals will be hit, but by-and-large its safer for the general population to take than not too. Its like when you buy an airline ticket they dont mention the idea that you will die in an accident. Does it happen? Yep. But its so freakin’ rare its ALMOST a non-issue.

The flu shot is orders of magnitude safer than driving in your car… But I’m willing to bet you do that every single day. [/quote]

Here is the Data from 07-08 Peaked at 32% infection rate. I don’t need to adjust anything here.

Here is the data from 00-01 which also shows the three previous years peaks.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2000-2001/00-01summary.htm

I think it’s safe to say that 10 years ago there were less people getting the flu vaccine? I can look up the statistics if you need me to. But 24% peak infection in 00-01 ans an average of 28-32% the three prior years is pretty overwhelming evidence that vaccines have not done much if any to the rate of getting infected.

Look the only evidence you have shown is a study where people were injected with a specific vaccine for a specific flu strain and then shot in the nose later with that flu strain and did not get sick.

When they make a seasonal flu vaccine which covers every flu virus and it’s possible mutations, we might see the efficiancy of the vaccine rise. Right now thay include defense against 3 viruses. Out of the hundreds or thousands which exist, this is never going to do much for preventing people from getting the flu. The rate has not gone down, and the 70% prevention rate is no better statistically to historical data when vaccines were not used.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Yep, I bet she is glad she took that flu shot. It’s disgusting what doctors are pushing off on people these days. I’m sure he told her it was very important.

A guy I know who is elderly, but still does construction work. Has never had the flu in his life. Now that he is getting up in years his doctor told him he should be getting the flu shots. One day after he got his first shot 3 years ago he came down with a severe respitory infection. He still has it today. Always coughing and wheezing, the antibiotics he has been given wont touch it.

There is shit in these flu shots that is not normal. How many people get paralyzed or have these bizzare problems when they encounter the flu naturally. I’m not saying someone is intentionally spiking the flu shots with bad shit, but it’s possible.

It’s also possible that they just don’t know what the fuck they are dealing with and due to big pharm making money off these, they just throw caution to the wind and push them on thier patients.

DO NOT GET THE FLU SHOT OR GIVE IT TO YOUR CHILDREN.

The flue shot in some studies has been 30% effective at reducing the flu occurances. Vitamin D is over 60% effective. One is safe, one can literally fuck you up for the rest of your life or even kill you.

V[/quote]

So a guy who was moving into the age range where he had increased risk of respiratory disease saw his doctor who informed him of this. Shortly afterwards he got a respiratory disease and you say the doctor was bad?

There is nothing in these flu shots that is not normal. They took the existing flu shots and adapted them to the new strain.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Yeah, while we’re at it, fuck MMR, TB, Hepatitis, and DTP DT Dtap!

Because vaccinations are for suckers![/quote]

Those are vaccinations against very specific strains of diseases. Those vaccines do work a very high percentage of the time. Though there is likley still some very seroius side effects. The seasonal flu vaccine does not fall into this category. I would get (have gotten) vaccinated with the above but would not get the flu vaccine.

V

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

4)Take your vitamins/fish oils etc.

I’m not seeing Vitamin D usage on there anywhere…
[/quote]

Sort of I did? Why do you think there aren’t many reported cases of the flu in summer? I’m not trying to get in a heated debate and I’m not trying to say do or don’t take the flu shots just a preference thing I suppose.

I understand her case from taking a flu shot is “1/1,000,000” and “extremely rare”.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The flu vaccine is simply another tool in that arsenal, it is proven effective, and proven safe( again, in the VAST majority of people, much safer than if you actually get the flu or simply driving a car).
[/quote]

Show me where it is proven effective? If by effective you mean does not change the infection rate negatively? Then sure it’s effective. If your definition of effective is a statistically relavant reduction in the infection rate, then no it is not effective. But by all means inject yourself. I don’t care if it’s like playing russian roulette with a single bullet in a thousand chamber revolver, you still are taking a risk for no benefit.

V

[quote]on edge wrote:
boldar wrote:
you can’t be serious can u vagita??? The flu has killed millions and millions of people in the past century. do u know how a flu shot works? its extremely effective for the majority of people and doctors know exactly wat they give to there patients.

the shot isn’t 100% effective bc the flu is so pro mutation and there is a prediction phase were they try to predict which strains are going to be the most dangerous and sometimes they get it wrong, but they are quite good at it. sure there are some very unfortunate incidents, the shot save’s many many more.

if u want to talk about money, think about all the money lost from sick workers at are unable to go to work or go to work and not be productive. The majority of people DEFIANTLY SHOULD GET A FLU SHOT!

I agree with Vegita. I think the risk involved with getting a flu shot is very low but I also think the reward is very low. Purely from my own observation, the flu shot is very ineffective. Ten people at my work, 3 of us declinve the vaccine when they come in every year and I don’t see us getting the flu more frequently. Probably less if anything. In 13 years here I haven’t had the flu. Only one time in my life have I had it.[/quote]

Well of course your risk of getting the flu is lower, 7 out of 10 people in your office have been vaccinated. This massively drops your chances of getting it.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
Vegita wrote:
Yep, I bet she is glad she took that flu shot. It’s disgusting what doctors are pushing off on people these days. I’m sure he told her it was very important.

A guy I know who is elderly, but still does construction work. Has never had the flu in his life. Now that he is getting up in years his doctor told him he should be getting the flu shots. One day after he got his first shot 3 years ago he came down with a severe respitory infection. He still has it today. Always coughing and wheezing, the antibiotics he has been given wont touch it.

There is shit in these flu shots that is not normal. How many people get paralyzed or have these bizzare problems when they encounter the flu naturally. I’m not saying someone is intentionally spiking the flu shots with bad shit, but it’s possible.

It’s also possible that they just don’t know what the fuck they are dealing with and due to big pharm making money off these, they just throw caution to the wind and push them on thier patients.

DO NOT GET THE FLU SHOT OR GIVE IT TO YOUR CHILDREN.

The flue shot in some studies has been 30% effective at reducing the flu occurances. Vitamin D is over 60% effective. One is safe, one can literally fuck you up for the rest of your life or even kill you.

V

So a guy who was moving into the age range where he had increased risk of respiratory disease saw his doctor who informed him of this. Shortly afterwards he got a respiratory disease and you say the doctor was bad?

There is nothing in these flu shots that is not normal. They took the existing flu shots and adapted them to the new strain.[/quote]

Yea, I’m sure it was all just a big coincidence. He took the shot in the summer when there was no respitory illness flying around in preparation for the winter flu season by his doctors orders and one day after the shot he gets sick. Sure I could see how you would think the two things are entirely unrelated. Heh, man he really must just have bad luck then.

V

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
boldar wrote:
you can’t be serious can u vagita??? The flu has killed millions and millions of people in the past century. do u know how a flu shot works? its extremely effective for the majority of people and doctors know exactly wat they give to there patients.

the shot isn’t 100% effective bc the flu is so pro mutation and there is a prediction phase were they try to predict which strains are going to be the most dangerous and sometimes they get it wrong, but they are quite good at it. sure there are some very unfortunate incidents, the shot save’s many many more.

if u want to talk about money, think about all the money lost from sick workers at are unable to go to work or go to work and not be productive. The majority of people DEFIANTLY SHOULD GET A FLU SHOT!

People that die from the flu almost always have some other ailment…in other words they are already in a sickly or weakened state. So you can’t blame those deaths entirely on the flu. It is true - the flu vaccine sucks. Vit D is superior in every way.[/quote]

Not true actually it is the other way round. Most people who die of the flu actually die of some related secondary infection.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

4)Take your vitamins/fish oils etc.

I’m not seeing Vitamin D usage on there anywhere…

Sort of I did? Why do you think there aren’t many reported cases of the flu in summer? I’m not trying to get in a heated debate and I’m not trying to say do or don’t take the flu shots just a preference thing I suppose.

I understand her case from taking a flu shot is “1/1,000,000” and “extremely rare”.
[/quote]

The humidity is usually higher in the summer and the flu virus attaches itself to the small droplets of water and cause it to be heavier than the rest and falls to the ground relatively quickly before other people have a chance to inhale it.

:wink:
But yea, I choose not to get the flu vaccine, and I don’t trust pharmaceutical manufacturers. At the end of the day, they will make decisions that bring in more money, hopefully not at the expense of other people’s health…

[quote]Vegita wrote:

Here is the Data from 07-08 Peaked at 32% infection rate. I don’t need to adjust anything here.

Here is the data from 00-01 which also shows the three previous years peaks.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2000-2001/00-01summary.htm

I think it’s safe to say that 10 years ago there were less people getting the flu vaccine? I can look up the statistics if you need me to. But 24% peak infection in 00-01 ans an average of 28-32% the three prior years is pretty overwhelming evidence that vaccines have not done much if any to the rate of getting infected.

Look the only evidence you have shown is a study where people were injected with a specific vaccine for a specific flu strain and then shot in the nose later with that flu strain and did not get sick.

When they make a seasonal flu vaccine which covers every flu virus and it’s possible mutations, we might see the efficiancy of the vaccine rise. Right now thay include defense against 3 viruses. Out of the hundreds or thousands which exist, this is never going to do much for preventing people from getting the flu. The rate has not gone down, and the 70% prevention rate is no better statistically to historical data when vaccines were not used.

V[/quote]

Fair enough, that all sounds very reasonable to me. The flu shot is often a “best guess” containing to 4-5 most “popular” strains predicted for that year. And maybe it misses them all and has 0% efficacy, thats a possibility for sure.

All I can really say is that its difficult to assess because the numbers of people who are vaccinated and do not get it do not show up, which may be driving the number down. Lets just say, for fun, that the Flu vaccine is 100% effective (its not), and that 30% of the population gets it (I have no idea of the real number)…

That would mean that 33% got the flu, and another 33% MIGHT have but didnt because of the vaccine, and 33% just didnt catch it. Of course these are inflated, but it just illustrates that the 32% number might be low BECAUSE of the vaccine, not in spite of it. Not to mention that the more people who get the vaccine, the less the flu is able to spread which benefits those that do not get vaccinated.

Its just a matter of risk v. benefit in the end. The vaccines are amazingly safe, one of the safest forms of medicine available… but are not entirely effective. Getting the flu can be dangerous to some groups of people (Particularly the Swine Flu and pregnant women, I would CERTAINLY get the swine vaccine if you are pregnant or live with a pregnant woman).

Of course this is mainly a moot point for a large percentage of the population on T-Nation (Healthy, Strong, good eating, young men). I mainly speak in terms of large populations, not specific ones that are typically “immune” by virtue of their age.

[quote]Amiright wrote:
woops double post… but to save it

how does the “benefits WAAAAY outweigh the risks” getting the flu isn’t like being diagnosed with cancer. A healthy individual that takes the proper actions will survive the flu perfectly fine [/quote]

Because the more people who are not vaccinated, the more easily the flu gets transmitted to kids, old people etc.

[quote]boldar wrote:
… The majority of people DEFIANTLY SHOULD GET A FLU SHOT! [/quote]

It’s probably best if you don’t resist when someone is trying to stick a needle in you.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

4)Take your vitamins/fish oils etc.

I’m not seeing Vitamin D usage on there anywhere…

Sort of I did? Why do you think there aren’t many reported cases of the flu in summer? I’m not trying to get in a heated debate and I’m not trying to say do or don’t take the flu shots just a preference thing I suppose.

I understand her case from taking a flu shot is “1/1,000,000” and “extremely rare”.

The humidity is usually higher in the summer and the flu virus attaches itself to the small droplets of water and cause it to be heavier than the rest and falls to the ground relatively quickly before other people have a chance to inhale it.

:wink:
But yea, I choose not to get the flu vaccine, and I don’t trust pharmaceutical manufacturers. At the end of the day, they will make decisions that bring in more money, hopefully not at the expense of other people’s health…[/quote]

Without going into too much detail, it does nothing but benefit pharmaceutical companies to make their drugs safer. They will get prescribed more, and more people will WANT to take them because of the low risk. It does absolutely nothing for profit to make an unsafe drug, it can actually lead to a net loss because of cost-to-market expenses and lawsuit potential. Safety = Money.

And yes, Flu spreads in the Winter due to a number of complex issues, your description was nice and succinct though. Thank you for that.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
Vegita wrote:
http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pres/

Watch this presentation.

Also as anecdotal evidence for Vitamin D preventing the flu, we can look to a couple factors. Namely, exactly when does the flu season start? It’s not to say there is no flu when it is out of season, but the infection rate is very low. The flu season is directly opposite of when natural Vit D production is highest. It hits when many people do not naturally make VIT D from the sun. Also Flu typically does not hit regions near the equator.

You can do what you want, but don’t tell me I am irresponsible. Just because you want to believe in the propoganda of the flu vaccine, does not make me stupid. I don’t get the flu shot and have yet to die from the flu. Pretty amazing I can take such a risk eh?

V

No such thing as anecdotal “evidence” … Just anecdotes. The plural of anecdotes

I dont have time to watch the full presentation, but I am well aware of the vit D deficiency that is currently happening, although you seem to be much more up on the data than I am at this time, so I wont pretend to know more about its effects than you… Although from my experience these things tend to be over hyped (vitamins and such being “cure alls”)

The stats from the CDC at this time are absolutely useless, considering “flu season” is barely starting. Not to mention some of the regions are already at 50%. Wait a few months and see if your 70% holds up so well.

No one is selling the flu vaccine as absolutely without risks… They are just so ridiculously low it makes no sense to speak about it as equal as not getting the shot. The benefits WAAAAY outweigh the risks when you compare populations, obviously individuals will be hit, but by-and-large its safer for the general population to take than not too. Its like when you buy an airline ticket they dont mention the idea that you will die in an accident. Does it happen? Yep. But its so freakin’ rare its ALMOST a non-issue.

The flu shot is orders of magnitude safer than driving in your car… But I’m willing to bet you do that every single day.

Here is the Data from 07-08 Peaked at 32% infection rate. I don’t need to adjust anything here.

Here is the data from 00-01 which also shows the three previous years peaks.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2000-2001/00-01summary.htm

I think it’s safe to say that 10 years ago there were less people getting the flu vaccine? I can look up the statistics if you need me to. But 24% peak infection in 00-01 ans an average of 28-32% the three prior years is pretty overwhelming evidence that vaccines have not done much if any to the rate of getting infected.

Look the only evidence you have shown is a study where people were injected with a specific vaccine for a specific flu strain and then shot in the nose later with that flu strain and did not get sick.

When they make a seasonal flu vaccine which covers every flu virus and it’s possible mutations, we might see the efficiancy of the vaccine rise. Right now thay include defense against 3 viruses. Out of the hundreds or thousands which exist, this is never going to do much for preventing people from getting the flu. The rate has not gone down, and the 70% prevention rate is no better statistically to historical data when vaccines were not used.

V[/quote]

It’s not safe at all to come to the conclusions that you are coming to. You’re simply looking at infection rates over time. How many variables could affect something like that, in addition to flu shots? To answer the question, you’d need to know what the rates of flu would be during those years with AND without flu shots.

[quote]SWR wrote:
The humidity is usually higher in the summer and the flu virus attaches itself to the small droplets of water and cause it to be heavier than the rest and falls to the ground relatively quickly before other people have a chance to inhale it. [/quote]

Well there you go I learned something today. I was going off of sun helping produce Vitamin D within the body. But may attribute a very small percentage to aiding in not getting the flu in the summer.