Fat, Protein, and Carbs

So far what I have learned is it is best not to mix fat and carbs. I also know the best time to consume carbs are after working out and the hour or two that follows.

Soooo…if you do mix carbs and fat, how many grams should the max be so as not to cause any negative effect.

For instance, after working out it was time for breakfast. My breakfast consisted of 8 oz of milk, 3 eggs, a serving and a half of oatmeal and a serving of peanut butter along with 26 grams of fish oil. The totals were: 775 calories, 41 grams of protein, 55 grams of carbs, and 41 grams of fat. Was this a bad combination?

Also, I have a couple of meals within my 7-8 of the day taht has like 9 grams of carbs and 11 grams of fat, are these numbers not good for each other?

celebrate:

After looking at “No Nonsense Nutrition”, JB would probably say “Hey…you’re doing better that 99% of the population”…so don’t sweat it!

However, all of us are trying to learn and progress…and do the little things that will will improve are health, well-being and body composition…

So…for food combining protocols:

P+C Meals: Consume less than or equal to 5 grams of fat…

P+F Meals: Consume less than or equal to 10 grams of carbs…

Mufasa

Personally I don’t think mixing carbs and fat are a big deal. I follow The Zone Diet which is, 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs and it works well for me.

Basically what it comes down to is, you have to experiment with your own body to see what works. There is a lot of variability amongst people.

celibrate,

with all due respect to “bri”, I STRONGLY suggest that you revise your macros bro. It wasn’t until I (and many others) began to separate fats and carbs that I began to notice results.

First of all, I’m under the impression that you workout and THEN eat breakfast? I’m I correct? Does this mean that you are going to the gym on an empty stomach? If so, you need to change this habit and eat 1.5 to 3 hours before you workout.

Second, you breakfast, which is suppose to be your post workout meal is completely wrong.

I suggest that you read a post workout article that will explain the carb and protein quantity (NO FATS!!!) for your weight.

Any specific questions? Just ask bro.

What I generally do is get up just a little after 5 and have to make it to the gym by 6 in order to lift before work. So, I usually drink a mixture of BCAA and 1 scoop of Low-Carb Grow! on the way to the gym. If I was to eat before I went, I’d have to wake up at like 4 and that would mean getting like 5 hours of sleep every night due to having to study.

Do you know of any good articles?

I’m in the first week of CT’s Mutation Series and trying to follow the nutrition numbers.

The basic problem I’m running into how little of carbs and fat to mix with each other. By the way, what is the best mixture of an after workout meal or mrp?

I finished to quickly…my daily tendency up until today (I was trying to experiment with a different post workout meal) is have a protein shake immediately afterwards and then within an hour and a half of leaving the gym blend up fat free milk, a cup of blue berries, a cup of bananas, and a cup of strawberries along with 34 grams of pure WPI. Am I correct in thinking (I just read John Berardi’s post workout puzzle article) that by consuming the blend of fruits that I am receiving proper glycogen restoration? Am I waiting to long, am I taking the wrong carbs in?

Your PWO #2 is questionable due to the fact that I’m not a big fan of eating too many fruits OR Milk but what really concerns me is your PWO#1…

When you read berardi’s article, did you read the part where high glycemic carbs IMMEDIATELY (10 to 15 minutes) after workouts is crucial? If so, why are not your adding it into your PWO#1?!

You could always buy some high glycemic carbs (dextrose) at your local health store and mix it w/ your protein. Or take the simply route and buy some Surge…

I think the people are losing sight of the big picture and concentrating too much on specific numbers. IMO the bottom line is that one wants to minimize energy balance extremes to prevent lean mass catabolism or fat anabolism (ie. a constant small to moderate energy deficit for cutting or surplus for bulking).

So the question should not be ‘what is the max amount of carbs that can be combined with fats?’ but ‘how can I achieve the desired energy balance?’.

From my experience monitoring blood glucose, any ‘excess’ calories will trigger an insulin response. The difference is in the response curve. For me, as meals become smaller and more frequent the macronutrient ratio becomes less important from an energy balance management perspective.

General numbers such as P+F and P+C combinations or workout durations should be considered as guidelines only since there are other factors involved in your own energy balance.

So the answer your question about the appropriateness of your post workout shake is: It depends. What is your bodyweight?, bf%?, how long was your workout?, how much work did you perform?, what/when/how much did you eat prior to your workout? It can be difficult to predict what your needs are.

Instead, my advice is if you want to know how your PWO nutrition is working, get a blood glucose monitor. Take a baseline reading first thing in the morning and then take readings say, every 30 mins starting in the middle of your workout to about 1-2 hrs after your PWO meals(s). Use the results to tailor your nutrition to your individual needs.

FYI glucose monitors are a consumables business (like inkjet printers). The actual monitor is sold for relatively little; they make their profit on the test strips. Since you won’t need to use the monitor on an ongoing basis, the overall cost won’t be that much.

I’ve never really thought about this before, but your post has me wondering if it would be a good idea to get a blood glucose monitor.

Would I be right in assuming that above a certain level your body is producing insulin to lower it? To be more precise, is it true that your body gets behind and allows the levels to spike or drop in spite of its best efforts?

Would it allow you to infer when you are releasing insulin and when you are undergoing gluconeogenesis?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Would I be right in assuming that above a certain level your body is producing insulin to lower it? To be more precise, is it true that your body gets behind and allows the levels to spike or drop in spite of its best efforts?[/quote]

Yes, there is a response time. The faster blood sugar rises the more the body seems to overcompensate with insulin to keep levels down. Hence the infamous sugar crash from high GI meals.

When levels rise more slowly, the body is able to compensate more accurately without driving levels too low.

Conversely gluconeogenesis occurs when there is a blood glucose deficit. Which can be caused by hyperisulinism (ie from that supersize McD’s milkshake) or exercise induced glucose uptake. It is conceivable at some point the body cannot catabolize fast enough to meet energy expenditures and exhaustion soon results.

Yep, that is the whole point. Readings below your ‘baseline’ would suggest gluconeogenesis while above it would suggest active insulin levels.