DZ's Training Log

DZ -Just checking in to see how the training is going? Jimmy T

Thanks for checkin’ in Jimmy. There’s been a lot of shit going on for me, that I had to attend to. I swore I wasn’t going to use this training log as a whinning log for all of my aches and pains, so lets just say I had to see a doc cause the pain was keeping me awake at night. Feeling much better though, and finally got my ass off of third shift. Back to second where I’ve been for nearly 10 years, and feeling ready tear it up again.
I’ve not been completely sedentary during my absence. This is the time of year I spend a lot of time working on the wood pile, which is great exercise, swinging an 8lb. maul. Nevertheless, I’m beginning to feel like a wus, and that just wont do!

I really feel like I need to get a lot more GPP into my training, and I love running, so I’m going to get that worked in during the Winter months.

Today
A lot of stretching, flexibility seems to have tightened up.
2 sets of 15 crunches on the floor
Got out into the neighborhood and ran a mile.
4 times around the yard W/ cinder block farmers.
2 more sets of 15 for abs.

Feeling good today, had a busy night at work, probably helped keep me from getting too stiff.

Got a couple of things in mind today.

Close grip
1x10xbar
1x8x95
1x8x115
1x8x135
4x6x155

Bent over BB rows
5x5x155

One arm DB rows
3x8x40s

Felt it would be a good thing to keep up the momentum and get outside for a workout today. Ran a half mile warmup down the street to a big assed hill in the neighborhood. Did 5 sprints up the hill and a trot back down for the rest period. Then ran the half mile back to the house. It was fun, the kids joined me. They’re finally big enough to keep up with me when I go running. We all earned that terrific meal at Grammies later. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Good to hear from you bro!Look forward to your posts.TRAIN HARD! Jimmy T

Well… I guess I can’t win for losing these days. After raking leaves and fooling around with the kids in the yard Saturday, I rolled out the tire to do some flipping, and promptly fucked something up in my back. I have a bad habit of not putting on my belt when I probably should. So, today I’m gonna see how it feels and get the heart pumping a bit.

Lots of stretching
started on the bench, but getting up and down from the bench today isn’t gonna work

DB Shrugs
3x15x45s

Not feeling too bad, but phone rang and now I’ve gotta get ready for work.

Sometimes it is enuff to just get out of bed, lol.

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Sometimes it is enuff to just get out of bed, lol. [/quote]

That’s actually the hardest part for me. Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Sometimes it is enuff to just get out of bed, lol.

That’s actually the hardest part for me. Doc[/quote]

Yep…you guys got that right.

Had a good night at work last night. Back wasn’t feeling too bad, so I jumped in to help out my guys and pushed around 50, 2000lb containers of product. And this morning, got in some more stretching, and several sets for abs. I don’t think it would be a good idea to try to push any weight today. I’ll get another good workout at work tonight, and hope the back feels as good as it does today.

Just a bit of pain left in the lower back, so, I’m gonna get some weight on the bar this morning and get a sweat going. Not brave enough this morning to try much pulling, maybe tomorrow.

Always a warmup

flat bench
1x10xbar
1x10x95
1x8x135
1x6x155
1x6x175
1x4x185
1x2x195
3x1x205

DB shrugs again
2x20x45s

Couple sets of DB flys to finish today.
That went better than expected.

G’day DZ,

I'm 54 , been weightlifting 18 months, and this '0ver 35 forum' is keeping me going!
Keep up the diary- gives me goals!

[quote]niche wrote:
G’day DZ,

I'm 54 , been weightlifting 18 months, and this '0ver 35 forum' is keeping me going!
Keep up the diary- gives me goals![/quote]

Welcome niche!

Stretching and warmup. Still feel some tightness in lower back, so, I’m a little paranoid about lower body work still, but here goes.

SLDL
4x8x135

Seated OH DB press
3x8x40s

Tates
4x6x40s

Plate raises
3x8x45

Hope your back heals fast brother.Look forward to your posts and training.Thanks for the support over on HT’s thread.
Never,never,never quit!Winston Churchill
Jimmy T

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
Hope your back heals fast brother.Look forward to your posts and training.Thanks for the support over on HT’s thread.
Never,never,never quit!Winston Churchill
Jimmy T[/quote]

Thanks Jimmy! No sir, quiting isn’t an option.

Lower back still tender, at least when I wake up. Need to try some pulling today.

Deads
1x8x135
1x8x185
5x5x225
Thought it would be wise to keep it on the light side.

DB rows
3x8x40s

Two sets for abs

Kinda slept in today, gotta get going.

Been hungry for some squatting. Not easy for me at home, but here goes. First to get the Mudvayne and Slipknot on the MP3 player. Yes, I confess, I’m a metalhead at 46, and will be for life!

Squats
1x10xbar
1x8x95
1x8x135
3x8x185
I know 185 is a warmup weight, but I don’t have a proper squat rack, and not in the mood to fuck something up again today.

Zerchers
3x8x95

CG to finish off
1x10x95
3x8x135

So, nothing terribly heavy today, but I got this in, in about 45 minutes. Got the heart pumping pretty good, felt great!

Life has intervened again this week. Hit a fucking deer with my vehicle. Family’s fine, just messed up the front of my SUV. 10 years in Michigan, I’ve been lucky till now. Too many damned deer in this state.Still a bit tender in the lower back. Got in some work on the woodpile after the damned Lions lost Sunday, pretty good workout.

Bent over rows
1x5x135
3x5x155
1x5x165
1x5x175

BB Shrugs
2x10x175
1x10x205
1x6x225

Hack Squat
5x5x185

Hacks felt pretty awkward, haven’t done them in a while.
Music for the day was Soulfly.

Fella’s great info… one quick question from a 47 yr old pencil necked geek…
I am trying to put on some serious mass in the four months and I will definately incorpoarte clean jerks and BB bent rows into my routine.
would you consider clean jerks upper or lower body exercises ? right now I’m on a 4 day split…
keep the good info coming guys I am eating it up

Good work DZ! I can definitely sympathize with life getting in the way. Are you getting any Chiro for the back? I get adjusted monthly and if I miss one, I feel it!

I would put Cleans in a Upper body day if you are splitting your work outs between body parts. I split my between speed and heavy days when I’m power lifting and weight bearing days and non-weight bearing days when conditioning…Hope that helps a bit…

[quote]phillymann wrote:
Fella’s great info… one quick question from a 47 yr old pencil necked geek…
I am trying to put on some serious mass in the four months and I will definately incorpoarte clean jerks and BB bent rows into my routine.
would you consider clean jerks upper or lower body exercises ? right now I’m on a 4 day split…
keep the good info coming guys I am eating it up[/quote]

Hey phillymann, thanks for checking in on my log. Ya know I just started trying those, and really enjoy them. Thay’re not as easy as they may look, check the ole ego at the door. They are more of an upper body movement, but my whole body gets a decent workout with them I feel. My shoulders aren’t too fond of them the next day. If you’re just getting started philly, get the hang of those compound movements, and don’t worry about goin’ too heavy to start. Learn to do 'em right, then increase the weight. You’ll be amazed at how fast the mucsle will appear. Don’t forget to eat right, and get plenty of sleep.

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Good work DZ! I can definitely sympathize with life getting in the way. Are you getting any Chiro for the back? I get adjusted monthly and if I miss one, I feel it!

I would put Cleans in a Upper body day if you are splitting your work outs between body parts. I split my between speed and heavy days when I’m power lifting and weight bearing days and non-weight bearing days when conditioning…Hope that helps a bit…[/quote]

Hi Colin! Ya know, I’ve never in my life been to a Chiro.
The company I work for is changing our medical benefits, and one of the changes includes coverge for a chiropractor. All it’ll cost me is the co-pay, so, after the first of the year I think I’m gonna try it out and see what it can do for me. My back is much better, and it’s not like it’s a cronic problem, I just get careless sometimes and strain something. In a couple weeks it’s better.