Does Judo Work in a Street Fight

It seems every drunken fight always starts with the same sequence. One guy shoves another repeatedly, trying to instigate him into throwing a punch, or just to psyche himself up.

Don’t shove judoka, or anyone else who spend hours practicing taking a shove and turning it into a hip throw.

Jackets are nice. Very, very nice. But if there’s no jacket, an ippon seoi nage or ogoshi are more than adequate.

And yeah, perfect point, about leaving you up, while he’s down. So you can run like hell.

Especially if you managed to careen him off of a fire hydrant. And are in a mad panic because you think you just killed him.

Just don’t be thinking so hard how, in the future, you’ll avoiding mouthing off ever again like that, and how you’re too pretty to go to prison, you run into the side of a bus stop.

I just beat myself in the head and scream like Rainman in the airport…it works great and afterwards people by you drinks and girls think it hilarious…give it a try

LOL…yeah a judo throw onto the concrete or anywhere theres not a mat to protect the person…ouchhhhhh!!! hello broken bones…

I strongly belive that judo is way better for streetfighting-self defense than BJJ at least.

Just think about it: If you’d be facing 3 stalkers would your really try to pull guard to one of them? You’ll be kicked as fuck if you do so.

Judo focuses on throws, if you throw an atacker who doesn’t know how to perform an ukemi (a safe landing) in the solid floor, he may get a serius head trauma. Or at least putting him on a disadvantaged position so you can finish him with an armbar or whatever.

But, I’ll play devil’s advocate a little by saying that i belive that “olympic judo” or competitive judo, is not optimal for this propouse. You’ll do better by finding a specializated self defense judo dojo.

Good luck :wink:

[quote]BAdWolf wrote:
I strongly belive that judo is way better for streetfighting-self defense than BJJ at least.

Just think about it: If you’d be facing 3 stalkers would your really try to pull guard to one of them? You’ll be kicked as fuck if you do so.

Judo focuses on throws, if you throw an atacker who doesn’t know how to perform an ukemi (a safe landing) in the solid floor, he may get a serius head trauma. Or at least putting him on a disadvantaged position so you can finish him with an armbar or whatever.

But, I’ll play devil’s advocate a little by saying that i belive that “olympic judo” or competitive judo, is not optimal for this propouse. You’ll do better by finding a specializated self defense judo dojo.

Good luck :wink: [/quote]

True, but that’s what I love best about judo. Please don’t flame me, but I really look down on anything that likes to pervade an air of pseudo-mysticism, or take itself too seriously. Judo is a sport, like boxing, or even muai thai. And unlike the other two, it’s a sport best practiced by little old pot-bellied people with a few too many drinks in them.

[quote]ether_bunny wrote:
True, but that’s what I love best about judo. Please don’t flame me, but I really look down on anything that likes to pervade an air of pseudo-mysticism, or take itself too seriously. Judo is a sport, like boxing, or even muai thai. And unlike the other two, it’s a sport best practiced by little old pot-bellied people with a few too many drinks in them.[/quote]

???

[quote]BAdWolf wrote:

Good luck :wink: [/quote]

True, but if you are facing 3 attackers, you don’t want to get entangled with them at all if possible. Knowing how to throw good hard punches would be a much better strategy than trying to throw someone in that situation.

I have a question. How many “street fights” do people really participate in? I ask because I’m somewhat aggressive, I’ve hung out in bars with cheap breakaway furniture, and I’ve still only been in a few fights that didn’t involve getting in a ring with a ref.

If you’re a cop or a gangbanger I can see being more worried about being effective on the “streetz.” If you’re military, your branch of service already trains you in martial arts for combat (MCMAP or MAC) and going to a Judo school isn’t going to improve your combat skills as much as finding an instructor who will teach you MMA in boots and a flak jacket. Everyone else needs to go back to study hall and quit posturing on the internet.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
I have a question. How many “street fights” do people really participate in? I ask because I’m somewhat aggressive, I’ve hung out in bars with cheap breakaway furniture, and I’ve still only been in a few fights that didn’t involve getting in a ring with a ref.

If you’re a cop or a gangbanger I can see being more worried about being effective on the “streetz.” If you’re military, your branch of service already trains you in martial arts for combat (MCMAP or MAC) and going to a Judo school isn’t going to improve your combat skills as much as finding an instructor who will teach you MMA in boots and a flak jacket. Everyone else needs to go back to study hall and quit posturing on the internet.[/quote]

Most of my experience comes from fights over the course of my life. If you’re drunk enough and a big enough asshole, trouble will find you.

However, if you’re just a normal person, you’re not going to really get into a lot of fights because most folks don’t want to get into it.

Being polite goes a long way with that.

BTW if i would be facing 3 atackers i wouldn’t try to throw them, neither punch them of course. I would make a good use of my sprinting techniques ;D

If you’re a cop or a gangbanger I can see being more worried about being effective on the “streetz.” If you’re military, your branch of service already trains you in martial arts for combat (MCMAP or MAC) and going to a Judo school isn’t going to improve your combat skills as much as finding an instructor who will teach you MMA in boots and a flak jacket. Everyone else needs to go back to study hall and quit posturing on the internet.[/quote]

If it’s a good self defense system, then the first thing they teach you is how to avoid letting the conflict become physical in the first place.

That said, I kind of look at it like fire or flood insurance. If you’re careful, responsible and don’t put yourself in situations which are likely to result in you needing them (like buying a house on a flood plane, or in an area known for wild fires), then chances are you won’t ever. But, in the rare case where, even despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do find yourself needing them, you’re going to be very sorry if you aren’t prepared.

Some of us just like being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best I guess.

If I was facing 3 stalkers, I would want to know how to do the following:

1. stay on my feet
  2. get back to my feet if I get knocked or thrown down
  3. run away
  4. strike the assailants if necessary

In that order. Judo, wrestling and to an extent BJJ, helps with the 1st. For the 2nd, I’d say BJJ would contribute the most (though if you’re a dedicated guard player, I can’t say). The third would rely on your athleticism and instincts. The 4th would depend again on your instincts, and your ability to throw a punch.

Everything changes in a ‘primarily’ one on one confrontation, except of course, 1).

Personally I found a BJJ school that works in takedowns, but there are many ways to skin a baby seal.

Everything works in a street fight, you just have to know how to make it work to your advantage. Even jello could help you win, if you knew when to throw it perfectly at the enemies eyes to blind them with your furry.

I have to chime in with my 2cents…

There’s been plenty of discussion about Judo and it’s effectiveness in the street, yes, Judo is excellent in the street, all reasons stated previously.

Judo vs BJJ… a different discussion, and given that most BJJ is recently trained with the modern aspects of MMA and the ability to throw and release… It is also very effective.

As are Boxing, Muy Thai, Kung-Fu, Karate, and Wrestling against a lesser trained opponent… the 1st of course hindered if your not used to hitting without gloves, but yet again a different discussion.

Where I’m going is what has only been brushed up against here. The 2 most defining contributors to a fight being a “Street Fight”… the possibility- if not probability- of multiple assailants, and weapons. These are both addressed in almost every MA in existence, but only truly adopted as the norm in a few. So, if your really looking to be proficient in an extremely effective self-defense/street fight “ART”… Krav Maga is the way to go!! It’s been the premier fighting art of the Israeli Army for as long as it’s been in existence, as well as being the base for every combat art currently trained in that isn’t used as a sport, and some that are. I an NO WAY knock any of those currently used in sport, they all started as “Martial” arts, just now they have rules. I only make that differentiation because it must be stated that Krav Maga is not for sport, is not trained for sport, and only exceeds the others in street fight/self defense because its every intent is to be the one “winner” no matter how many others, or what the term “winner” is when it’s over… be that anything from the one that walks away from a weapon to being the one left breathing.

[quote]CamoDragon09 wrote:
I have to chime in with my 2cents…

There’s been plenty of discussion about Judo and it’s effectiveness in the street, yes, Judo is excellent in the street, all reasons stated previously.

Judo vs BJJ… a different discussion, and given that most BJJ is recently trained with the modern aspects of MMA and the ability to throw and release… It is also very effective.

As are Boxing, Muy Thai, Kung-Fu, Karate, and Wrestling against a lesser trained opponent… the 1st of course hindered if your not used to hitting without gloves, but yet again a different discussion.

Where I’m going is what has only been brushed up against here. The 2 most defining contributors to a fight being a “Street Fight”… the possibility- if not probability- of multiple assailants, and weapons. These are both addressed in almost every MA in existence, but only truly adopted as the norm in a few. So, if your really looking to be proficient in an extremely effective self-defense/street fight “ART”… Krav Maga is the way to go!! It’s been the premier fighting art of the Israeli Army for as long as it’s been in existence, as well as being the base for every combat art currently trained in that isn’t used as a sport, and some that are. I an NO WAY knock any of those currently used in sport, they all started as “Martial” arts, just now they have rules. I only make that differentiation because it must be stated that Krav Maga is not for sport, is not trained for sport, and only exceeds the others in street fight/self defense because its every intent is to be the one “winner” no matter how many others, or what the term “winner” is when it’s over… be that anything from the one that walks away from a weapon to being the one left breathing.[/quote]

Krav maga is no better or worse than any other martial art out there.

It depends on who’s teaching what… not the art. There’s only so many ways to punch or kick someone.

Da denga dadeng !

Yea. As pointed out by kmcnyc “With all MA’s they can help- but don’t go picking fights :)”

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:

Yea. As pointed out by kmcnyc “With all MA’s they can help- but don’t go picking fights :)” [/quote]

AGREED… If your the type that needs to pick a fight to prove something, you probably have something more to worry about than if you can fight.

Also, I agree with the general MA reference, there are only so many ways to do something and it does depend on what your taught. I tried not to make my post sound too pointed for or against any of them, just wanted to express an opinion about one.

Great thread, I’ve been thinking a lot about this myself. I’m not into street fighting or anything, just married with two kids and want to make sure I can protect us if needed.

Anybody live in Las Vegas or Henderson Nevada that could recommend a solid school?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Judo is great, one of the most underrated MA’s in this world that focuses now on BJJ.

Judo is one of the best grappling arts for the street because of it’s focus on takedowns instead of groundfighting- and those throws can end a fight in one shot. A couple of my favorite chokes come from judo as well. If you’ve got te oppurtunity to take some classes, go for it.[/quote]

dude, in a previous thread you bagged on wrestling. wrestling is much more “street effective” in my opinion because it promotes aggressive stances, high impact throws (like judo,) and is practiced without the gi. while im not arguing against judo, how could you be down on wrestling yet up on judo? they have very similar intents.

Question about judo. Since alot of the takedowns involve grabbing that suit they wear, how many of the moves can transition into MMA?